somewhat luxurious resort (summer 08)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and sister in law are looking for a special resort to spend a week next July or August. Must be within driving distance of NYC area. They like smaller places (not huge like Mohonk mountain house)where you can still do a lot of activities like hiking, boating--or lie back and do nothing at all. They would like it to be $500 a night or less.Any suggestions?
And while we're at it, is there anyone here who would make the case that place like The Point (high priced Adirondack resort) is worth the high prices they charge? Ideally, there would be someplace like that, but at half the price!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM

A slightly less expensive alternative to the Point is the Mirror Lake Inn. I have stayed there a number of times and it is wonderful. The restaurant has excellent food and it is conveniently located.

http://mirrorlakeinn.com/

Deb
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 12:33 AM

sagamore - lake george
equinox - manchester, vt
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM

You might take a look at the Basin Harbor Club (www.basinharbor.com) on Lake Champlain, near Vergennes, VT. It may be a larger resort than you prefer, but they have charming little cottages where you can keep to yourself if you wish. Lake Champlain is really beautiful and there is a lot to do in that area.It would be about a five hour drive from the NYC area.

Although Canada is pricey now, my personal favorite is Ripple Cove Inn (www.ripplecove.com), in Ayers Cliff, Quebec. It is an absolutely charming, romantic small inn on Lake Massawippi. Great food, pool, lake frontage, kayaks, canoes, spa... Lots of quaint little villages to explore, good roads for biking, golf courses nearby and gorgeous scenery. It is a bit of a hike from NYC, though. You might consider breaking up the trip with a stay at the North Hero House in North Hero, VT (www.northherohouse.com). If you drive up Rt. 87 to Plattsburgh, NY, you can take the ferry from Rouses Point to the Champlain Islands of Vermont where the inn is located. From there you can wind your way through the beautiful Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, through Newport to the crossing at Derby Line. Ayers Cliff is a short distance north from there. Be sure to bring Passports and be prepared for a delay at the border, especially returning to the US in peak tourist season.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I'm not sure what's up with the Equinox, but it isn't what it used to be...
You might look at the Mt. Washington, Wentworth-by-the-Sea, the Balsams, and the Mountain View--all in New Hampshire...

Also Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, or the Black Point Inn at Prouts Neck, Maine...
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Vallombrosa is right -- the Equinox is certainly not what it used to be. Perhaps it's because the once lovely village of Manchester has become the crowded, commercial "Outlet" center of Vermont.... too bad.

The Balsams in Dixville Notch, NH, however, is a truly grand old hotel. It's beautiful and well maintained with lots of activities available. It's also quite a distance from NYC, but well worth the trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting this question. You've given me great ideas about places for a family trip!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM

KTravel,

The Basin Harbor Club on Lake Champlain that I mentioned earlier is a great place for a family vacation. They have excellent programs for kids, and lots for everyone to do. The summertime help includes young people from all over the world.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks colbeck. The Basin Harbor Club sounds great.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't go with The Mountain View Grand in NH. We were to be there 3 days this past August and left after 2. The resort is beautiful but the service is absolutely terrible from having no bell hops, not being able to get served on the porch but the wait staff was all around the bar talking to the bartender, not being able to get a bottle of wine in the top restaurant...told it was chilling....40 miuntes...give me a break, no maps for the hiking trails....they give you the xcountry ski map from the winter but considering that is the golf course that is no where you want to go hiking/walking in the summer.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions which I will pass along. I welcome some additional ideas for a couples summer trip driving distance from NYC, (and any other first hand experiences with The Point and other really pricey places in the Northeast)
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM

If they would consider Cape Cod the Chatham Bars Inn www.chathambarsinn.com
or the Wequasset Inn www.wequassett.com might fit the bill.

The Chatham Bars Inn is on the water in the lovely town of Chatham. The Wequassett is on Pleasant Bay just before you cross the Chatham line. Both offer activities and have very good facilities.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM

gomiki is right -- both the Chatham Bars and the Wequassett are very nice. The Wequassett is in a bit more private location, and the Cape is very crowded in July and August. September is an ideal time to go there.

Have you checked the Lake Placid Lodge? A fire in 2005 destroyed the main lodge, but it is due to re-open in the spring of 2008. It's in a wonderful spot, with charming Adirondack cottages. Pricey, but not nearly as much as The Point.

I have never been to The Point, but have friends who used to go every year and loved it for a splurge -- back when prices were $500-$1200/night. The price of accomodations there is all inclusive, but VERY steep now .
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Skytop Lodge in PA is beautiful.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I've been to Skytop for business meetings a number of times, and while I agree that it's beautiful, it certainly isn't small. It also seems to be very family oriented - not so much a romantic spot as relaxed and quiet. If your brother and sister in law are into golf or tennis, they would probably enjoy Skytop, if not, then I think a week there may be too long.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
They are mostly into hiking, biking,and boating. A bonus would be if there are nearby towns to explore with antiquing or historic houses or sites to tour
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if you've been to resorts like the Homestead or Greenbriar then Skytop certainly seems small.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I have stayed at both Mt. Washington Hotel and at Chatham Bars Inn. They are both wonderful and either one would be a great choice.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM

Jackson NH -

The Inn at Thorn Hill http://www.innatthornhill.com/
or the Snowflake Inn http://www.thesnowflakeinn.com/
are my favorites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -