Newport, Rhode Island lodging and activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visited Newport, RI this fall for a wedding and I think I have found my new annual vacation spot!

I recommend a small coffee shop (forgot the name) right at the tip of Bowens Wharf. Every morning my husband and I took a walk there and enjoyed our brew on the large captain chairs as we watched the large boats come in. Right by there is where the fishermen come in with their lobsters, which we purchased for about $7 a piece!

We stayed at a darling house right in town, which was great because we could walk to everything. It was a lot cheaper than a hotel and we had 3 rooms and a large kitchen to enjoy. Her website is
http://www.31ExtensionStreet.com

I fell in love with Newport, RI and can't wait for this summer since we are going back for a week!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM

That house looks great-- what is their minimum stay requirement?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM
OO

When you wrote "$7 a piece" I was thinking "dang, that's expensive coffee", but then I realized you meant the lobster!! I am green with envy and now really needing some lobster--fresh off the boat.

When you go back this summer, be sure to go out to the Castle Hill Inn. Go for lunch and sit outside on their patio and watch the sailboats coming through the pass there. That is one of our "must dos" every trip we make there.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure the stay requirements for the house, as my husband arranged it. I'm sure the information is on the website. I'm sorry for being a poor travel reporter.

Yes! The lobster was $7 for a soft shell lobster. I actually prefer the soft shell, as it's a bit sweeter.

I will check out Castle Hill, as I have been told by several people they make a mean Bloody Mary. I was also told that Spiced Pear is a good bet for dinner. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:56 AM

We are in Newport every summer in July for a week and are sometimes looking for additional accomodations for family or friends -

maybe you can ask your husband a few ? for me -
the web site says it is $ 2000 a week (for July) - so it seems that would be the minimal rental time PLUS a 1,000 deposit? or am I reading something wrong on their web page? Does that include any type of housekeeping?

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

We paid $850, but it was November so I'm sure it was off season. We did pay a security deposit of $1000, but they accepted credit cards and it was returned a few days after we checked out. He said that was the weekly rate, but we only stayed a long weekend. It was a lot cheaper than a hotel, since we stayed with another couple. We are staying there in June, and I think she must have given us a bit of a discount, but I know it was higher in the summer. It probably makes more sense if you share a house, like we did.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:14 AM

There are several good websites that deal in B&Bs, etc (www.gonewport.com has links.)

We go there frequently. Castle Hill Inn, especially at sunset, is a fantastic dinner. Also go there in the afternoon, sit on their lawn (it is actually a bar, so order a beer)and watch the boats go by.

Sitting on the rocks at Brenton Point is also a great way to "chill out".

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I missed the second question. It did include an in/out maid service. For our June rental, she included a visit from her housekeeper during our week, but I'm not sure if it's usually included or not.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM

gotcha. thanks. makes more sense having at least one other couple- or for a family - how was the patio/deck and I must be old on my beach "lingo" but what are 2 beach cruisers? does that mean chairs
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM

FYI- spiced pear is a very very nice, very very expensive and pretty formal place for dinner. Formal more in attitude than anything. We have gone several times and have enjoyed it, but it is definitely a special occasion place for dinner. The Chanler, the hotel in which it rests, is amazing.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I didn't know what beach cruisers were either! I thought it was an East Coast thing. She has two bikes designed for cruising, very comfortable and a nice ride. Similar in style but higher quality than the kind we rented in China that people use for transportation. It's a great way to get around in Newport as we discovered parking wasn't that easy.

Perhaps we will pass on the Spiced Pear. We ate at Salvation Cafe on Broadway which was fun and upbeat. I would like to discover more local finds such as that, that leave the uptight air at home.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

opps - I forgot the first question this time. The deck was small, with two chairs for sitting. In the yard there is a table and a bunch of chairs. They were basic, but functional. The one thing that impressed me was the huge gas grill. It's much better than the one we have at home! The backyard is small but fenced in which was nice to have some wine before we ventured out. The owner mentioned that she was hoping to put stones down to make it more quaint.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM

"Local finds that are fun and upbeat and leave the uptight air at home":
Titos Cantina, Flos Clamshack, Scales and Shells, Beckys BarBQ, Anthonys Seafood.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Ditto to John's rec for Scales and Shells - my favorite there is "Toro Tuna" cooked over the wood grill.
We just tried a new Mexican place last week (we live about 20 minutes from Newport)"Perro Salado" which was excellent and not too pricey.If you have a car, Chopmist Charlie's in nearby Jamestown is great.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

the house is walking distance from Scales and Shells so we walked down and got some clams in garlic before the reception. They were the best clams I've ever tasted. We were licking our fingers. A bit of a warning from a newbie to other Scales and Shells newbies is that they only accept cash which we never have. My husband had to run across the street to the ATM while I sat and tried not to look like a tourist....or an Eat N Run.

One restaurant I was a little disappointed with was Robert's on the corner of Extension and Thames. The outdoor seating and BYOB was the draw, but the food was a bit bland.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM

We call that dish (Sicilian Clams) "clams in the pan" - great clams and bread for dunking!!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:20 AM

great- now you've got my mouth watering and me craving sicilian clams!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Mmmmm...have you had a bag of donuts at the Moorings???
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM

My favorite places to eat-I live in newport and eat out at a different place each week-West Deck, Spark(BYOB), Portabellos (BYOB), Yesterdays, Cafe Zelda

Moorings-can see more in the winter than in the summer(unless you enjoy looking at the sides of boats)
Spiced Pear-take out a second mortgage so you can pay the bill
Castle Hill-expensive, but what a view and great food. Worth the money