What to do in Orlando?

Search

What to do in Orlando?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Orlando?

My family is planning a trip to Orlando during the third week in Feb. We do not want to do any of the Disney-type activities. For most of the week it will be me(15), my sister(12) and my mom. Any ideas what we should see or do? Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't want to do any of the Orlando parks, it would help us to know what type of acitivities interest you.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Does that mean you're not interested in any theme parks? Swimming with dolphins at Discovery cove?

Frankly Orlando screams 'theme park land' to me and I've never considered going there unless I was visiting a theme park.

Are you interested in driving to a beach?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Visit Kennedy Space Center.
Go to the beach at Cocoa or Clearwater.
Swim with the manatees at Crystal River.
Eat, eat, eat.
Shop, shop, shop.
Go to the Salvatore
Dahli museum in St. Petersburg.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM

The Disney Marketplace is neat.
Have you been to Epcot? This is in no way like Disneyworld and is low key and enjoyable.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Good list, stumpworks!

Interested in art? One of the finest collections of Tiffany glass, pottery, etc. is at the Charles Hosmer Morse museum in Winter Park (just north of Orlando). The exhibit at the Met in NYC last year? Most items were loaned from the Morse. http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Interested in nature? Go canoeing at Wekiwa Springs State Park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/wekiwasprings/

Interested in shopping? Try Mall at Millenia, or Park Avenue in Winter Park.

Search this forum for off the beaten track Orlando, and you'll find a number of threads with other suggestions.

Have fun!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
emd

Go to the hot rod parade in Old Town Kissimmee on Friday night. Very cool classic 60s cars on parade. All cars are 1974 or earlier.

http://www.orlando.com/Blog/Old+Town...e+Florida.aspx

Golf.

Horseback ride, there is a nice stable that we have riden at, here:
http://www.horseworldstables.com/

And there is a very nice golf course close to those stables.

Hot air balloon ride.

Outlet shopping at Premier Outlet mall
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
emd

City Walk is also fun entertainment, and I think Mardis Gras might be going on while you are there.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM

You could take an airboat ride with Boggy Creek Airboats <http://www.bcairboats.com/>. This is great fun if you've never done it, and a good way to see some gorgeous scenery and possibly some wildlife.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM

1st off, if I were not going to the parks (which I don't blame you; especially at that time of year--President's week?), I would stay at one of the awesome resort hotels. My familys' favorites are JW Marriott (gorgeous lazy river & pool area; lots of activities) and our next favorite is Marriott World Center--also a huge pool area with slide, waterfalls & several pools. Gaylord Palms is cool. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Campground...all fun! You could spend days just enjoying these hotels without leaving!

There is a ton of stuff to do in Orlando without going to the parks. It just depends on your interests. Downtown Disney, Old Town, day trips to beach on east or west coast, Kennedy Space Center, miniature golf, museums, malls, the list goes on! Pretty much anything you can think of for fun, you can find in Orlando!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Winter Park, which is adjacent to Orlando, is probably the most "authentic" place for people who are not into theme parks (like myself). You can do a boat ride on the chain of lakes, visit the Morse Museum (as 321go mentioned), visit the chapel at Rollins College (rated the most beautiful building in Florida) along with the Cornell Art Museum and the entire Mediterranean style campus from the 1800's, visit Kraft Azalea Gardens, and shop Park Avenue. Downtown Orlando is also worth a visit. Stroll along Lake Eola and visit Church Street Station. I haven't been, but Lew (or Lieu?) Gardens is supposed to be nice. There's an antiques district right near the Orlando Museum of Art and Bob Carr Auditorium, if that interests you. Have fun!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM

It's LEU Gardens...sorry.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Canoe Wekiva Springs. Magical.
http://www.canoewekiva.com/

We felt like we were in a Tarzan movie One of my favorite vacation memories ever.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM

A bit farther north will get you where Tarzan really was filmed! Silver Springs in Ocala is where Johnny Weismuller filmed the original Tarzan (they left the monkey "extras" behind and their descendants still live in the cypress trees).

I believe some episodes of Lloyd Bridges' Sea Hunt were also filmed at Silver Springs.

However, Silver Springs is technically a theme park, just not a Disney one.