Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Wknd highlight: Tea at Lady Mendl's and more...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for some suggestions for this wknd with my daughter in NYC - here's what we ended up most pleased with:

Tea @ Lady Mendl's was fabulous. We liked the atmosphere and perfect service - as much if not more than many teas we've enjoyed in hotels - much more personable, cozy, warm, wonderful decor - food was fabulous (esp the scones and dessert cakes)

What a great spot for relaxing, talking and feeling special -

http://www.innatirving.com/dining-lady.asp

It's hard to do 'tea' sometimes while visiting b/c it can be difficult if you have a short amount of time to block off 90-120 minutes for tea - we went to noon tea and ended at 1:30 on a Sunday -

it was the only time we could fit in between theater, etc - but I would have preferred, had I had longer, to do a 3pm tea but that woulnd't work with our theater and shopping lists !

We headed from there to Union Sq and then made our way down to Soho/Mott Street and just popped in and out of every place that caught our eye -no luck at Elizabeth Charles samples sale (one reason for our destination today) but good luck at Only Hearts, the market at Mulberry/Prince, and the kddance store for some hang out things, and a quick stop (like slam on the brakes, it's a form of dessert stop) for some DELICIOUS frozen yogurt thing at PinkBerrys - my daughter likes a green tea one but I went for the plain (they let you taste either)-

all I know is I mixed in mine strawberries and Captain Crunch (something I didn't even eat as a kid when it was a cereal - and it was wonderful ! Don't miss it if you walk by one in the city !

ended up back at Union Sq and into the east village to dinner at Hearth - extremely enjoyable -

http://restauranthearth.com/

not much on the decor angle, but very comfortable and the service and food were FABULOUS>
and a wonderful, huge selections of excellent, esxcellent wines - a list the staff is most familiar with which is always nice -

incredibly flavorful amuse bouche of a lentil leek soup, artichoke salad with black truffle puree was one of the best things I had all weekend - oh no, wait, maybe that was their great homemade gnocchi, no, actually I think it was sthe beet tortelli with pine nuts, ricotta, poppy seeds and sage...or maybe it was my daughters pasta....

I thought the apple cider doughnuts was the most amazing dessert until I started digging into my daughters chocolate peanut butter tart which is NOT to be missed !

A dinner at Roberto Passon: I never pass up their veal picatta, or the white asparagus/poached egg/prosciutto for an appetizer - another wonderful experience here with excellent wine and my dd's favorite pasta - and we think they have an amazing profiterole - the chocolate sauce alone is worth it and they sure don't skimp on that !

Theater: Come Back LIttle Sheba: S Epatha Merkerson was so wonderful - playing the role with just the right temperment - and Kevin Anderson as Doc really impressed -and Brenda Wehle was excedllent -- the for me anyway, I thought the rest of the cast was ok but nothing memorable - but the rest of them made up for it and I loved the set.

Other than that: shopping also at Saks/Bloomies - a quick lunch that day at Dean & DeLuca, great stay again at Hotel Michelangelo - with breakfasts of coffee and yogurt b/c hey, ladies have to watch their diet at some point !

Great weekend all around but I highly, highly rec Lady Mendl's if tea is something you would enjoy!
Many of you had suggested great brunch spots for us, but we chose the tea instead but will keep your list for next visit in March ! Thanks !

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
What fun! I wish I had known about our mini-get-together at Roberto Passon before it was over though.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

So do I ! If we had a fodorite table there like NeoPatrick was proposing on that other thread - we would have !
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Escargot - Great trip report. I hadn't had a chance to read it until now. I am sure I'll steal some ideas for the time that I can bring my own 17 yo dd up to NYC.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - and you would love that tea I just know it !