Teen Vintage shopping in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at visiting NYC this June for 3-4 nights and have two teen age girls (14 & 17) who are big in vintage & funky fashion. Huge Project Runway fans! Looking for a good hotel to serve as our base. Would like to stay until $300 if possible. We'll want to do a few of the standard tourist things (Top of the Rock, Central Park, Staten Island Ferry) but really like to get off the beaten path and experience New York like a local. Girls love Modern Art like Andy Warhol, too. My wife & I as well as the girls are foodies as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM

June is an expensive month for hotels(weddings, graduations, good weather) and finding something for 4 of you under $300 may be a challenge. I'd look on quikbook.com and kayak.com and see what you find. If you can find anything in Chelsea (ie Four Points Sheraton, Hampton Inn) that would be a good location. The Embassy Suites downtown is very family friendly and includes cooked breakfast. You might also consider the washingtonsquarehotel.com in the village if it's available. Not fancy but great location.

Here's an old threads on vintage shopping

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34836941

You may find more info on nymag.com/cheap in the discount designer clothing section.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM

I'd suggest taking a look at the Millenium Hotel or the Embassy Suites downtown. They often have discount rates especially over the weekend.

Also you might check the website for Century 21 Department Store, as they sometimes offer a deal staying at the Millenium you get a gift card for Century 21 and the girls will love shopping there.

Uptown, there is a NEW large vintage clothing store that opened on 5th AVe, I just walked by it today, on the east side of the avenue around 30th St.

The girls will also love Daffys and H&M in both close to Macy's and trust me on this one Conway, for great prices on jeans, shorts, tees. I got 3 very well made tshirts there today for $4 each.

There's also a good place for tees on 5th Ave across from the vintage shop selling tees 10 for $10 ok not great quality, but fun touristy stuff, great for the kids and maybe gifts to bring home.

I'd suggest buying a Zagat Guide to carry around with you while you are here, so wherever you are a good restaurant is close by.

Union Square will be another good spot for the girls, there's a Filene's and a DSW at 5th and 14th and the Union Square CAfe is just around the corner for dinner.

HOpe this helps and have a great trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:39 AM

East 9 through East 12th-Avenue A to Second Avenue is filled with young designer owners of small shops.

These are anything but chain or mall shops.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM

I think Cheap Jack's is the place travelbuff mentions, but I've heard it's become anything but cheap.
http://www.cheapjacks.com/

Emmett McCarthy's boutique EMc2 is at 240 Elizabeth st. and while you're down there, stop in at edgeny.com (Wed-Sun)