rkkwan's Coach Flyer report AF/CO to Italy

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rkkwan's Coach Flyer report AF/CO to Italy

<b>Background:</b>

I booked this trip from Houston to Italy over Christmas and New Year about in early November. I used 75,000 Continental Onepass miles (25K for the outbound and 50K &quot;SleazyPass&quot; for the return) out of an &quot;elite&quot; account.

For the outbound to Rome (FCO) on 12/24, Onepass found me an itinerary on Air France. For the inbound &quot;SleazyPass&quot; award from Milan (MXP), I flew Continental flying togther with my parents (who flew CO both ways on paid tickets).

<b>Pre-trip:</b>

After issuing the e-ticket through Onepass' partner desk by phone (can't do open-jaw on Continental.com), I called Air France to get a seat assignment. I was offered 26E (seat pattern on the 773: ABC-EFG-JKL). I could pull up the reservation on airfrance.com with the AF locator (which the CO agent gave me), but no seat number was displayed.

<b>At airport:</b>

I arrived Houston Intercontinental (IAH) Terminal D at 2:35p for my 4:30 flight AF33 to Charles de Gaulle. The terminal was very quiet on 12/24. KLM cancelled one of its two weekend flights to AMS, and BA combined its Houston and Chicago flights.

AF doesn't offer online-checkin, unlike its corporate sister KLM, which has check-in desk next door. There's a line, but not very long and moving. They also have an agent at the entrance to the line to check for <b>carry-on luggage size and weight</b>. The agent would lift each large-ish carry-on, and will weight it on the scale if it seems heavy for her. The limit is 12kg. A tag was placed for approved items.

At the check-in desk, I was given seat 43G, though the agent told me to come see her again at the gate. She would get me back a seat near the front. For CDG-FCO, I was given 20F, a window seat in the middle of the A320.

I was checked-in at 2:55p. No line at security, so that took no time.

Boarding started early at 3:40. I went to find the same agent and she gave me 26J. Same row as my original seat, but it's now a outside aisle instead of inside aisle. I was not upset enough to say anything else. The seat turned out to be okay as there's no one in 26K, and the gentleman in 26L has a large bladder.

International newspapers were offered on a rack before we got on the plane.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

<b>Equipment:</b>

It's the first time I'm on a 777-300ER, which Boeing has been selling like hotcakes lately. I was on F-GSQB, delivered in May 2004. The 773ER has GE90-115 engines, which are the most powerful in all commercial airlines.

Air France fitted its coach seats in 3-3-3 pattern. Unlike Continental's 772, AF put slightly wider armrest between seats, and have slightly narrower aisle. There's individual screen, with like 20 video channels and more audio. The screens have touch-screen control, but it's not AVOD, and response seem slow.

Also on the seatback are a knob to hang one's coat (which I didn't see anybody use) and a slot next to the screen to hold some small items. I didn't see anybody put anything there either, but it fit my new iPod nano okay, though it's upside down.

There's also a footrest. The design is pretty good that when it's not used (at the &quot;up&quot; position), it doesn't cut into one's legs, unlike early ones on CX's 744 which I no longer find. Pitch is reported to be 32&quot; and that seems about right. Headrest has adjustable &quot;wings&quot; and can be lifted.

But the best feature of the seat is that when reclined, the seat cushion moves forward. This makes it <b>the most comfortable</b> economy seat I've ever sat on. I hope more airlines will order their new jets this type of seat.

But not all's well on this relatively new ship. On our flight, the center left lavatory is out of order (1 out of 5 for coach, but it's okay on my flight that's only about 60% full). My screen also has a greenish cast on it, and is not very bright. The protective cover over the screen also looks kind of scratched. Surprising considered the plane is &lt;1.5 years old.

I would not recommend rows 18, 19, 31 or 35 on this plane, despite the extra legrooms. There's often people waiting for lavatories or food in the center galley. And if you board early for 19C/J, you'll get bumped by everybody's rolleaboard.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Couple more things about the plane itself:

No powerport on my seat in Row 26. Air France magazine seem to suggest they are only on their new 330s. The headphone plugs are the twin mini-plug type for those who care.

And with the boxes under the seat for the IFE, some footrests are offset to one side, like those for the &quot;K&quot; seat.

<b>In flight service:</b>

A small amenities kit is provided on each seat. It consists of headphones, ear plugs, eye masks and a wet nap.

There's no hot towel service, but a menu is provided.

Dinner includes:

- Salad with tiny shrimps
- Basque-style chicken, basmati rice &amp; green beans; or mushroom ravioli w/ pesto sauce
- A huge piece of President camembert
- Some very large seedless grapes
- Oatmeal raisin cake

I say everything's pretty good, except for the main course I had. I chose the ravioli and they all stuck together. Taste was also only so-so. Still, better than any US airlines.

Alcoholic beverage is of course free, but I only had a beer (Bud). Not a liquor-drinking person.

At the center galley between the two coach cabins, there were water, juice and trail-mixes available throughout the flight.

Before arrival, a breakfast was served. It's all cold, but of very generous portions. We got a roll, a danish, a yogurt and a fruit cup.

Two other things. One is that they seem to like their cabin toasty. I didn't even need to use the blanket when sleeping. Second, I bought a teddy bear from the duty-free. Cost is 16 Euro, and it's a sibling of my Cathay Pacific bear.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

<b>Flight detail:</b>

Schedule for AF33 IAH-CDG is 4:30p 8:45a+1

Here's my flight's detail for 12/24:

- Door closed 4:20; pushed back 4:25
- Took off 4:48; estimated arrival was 8:20a+1 for flight time of 8hr32min
- Initial cruise at 33,000 ft, flew over Cleveland, Buffalo and Moncton, New Brunswick. Riding the jetstream, ground speed exceeds 650MPH.
- Over Gander, Newfoundland, went up to flight level 340.
- Before Ireland, went up to 360.
- Touched down in CDG at 8:26am, for total flight time of 8:38.

[If wally is reading this, most of the 2nd half of the flight was bumpy, and the fasten seat belt sign was on for that half.]

<b>CDG:</b>

I had a 65 minute connection for my flight to Rome Fiumicino (FCO), and I was worried about making it. AF33 was supposed to arrive at CDG 2C, while my connection is at 2F.

Those connecting at CDG should <b>keep and read</b> the good instructions on the boarding pass jacket given at check-in. It has directions for all types of CDG connections.

Anyways, for reasons unexplained (or at least not announced in English), we arrived at CDG 2F!!! Here's a timeline:

8:26 Plane touched down
8:43 Got off plane
8:47 Arrived at end of line at passport control between 2F1 and 2F2. Long and confusing lines as only 3 agents were working, out of 7-8 booths.
9:12 Through passport control (passport stamped)
9:20 Arrived at gate F27(no line at security) for my 9:50 AF1504 to Rome.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

<b>Paris - Rome:</b>

AF1504 was opearted by ship F-GFKN. It's one of the earlier A320s (delivered 1991, and was leased to Vietnam Airlines 93-96) and the interior showed. On these intra-Europe flights, business class simply means the middle seat is converted to an armrest on the first few rows and better food. They don't even get better seats.

I found that even in the back rows, one could adjust the armrests to get a little more room for the aisle and window seats when nobody is in the middle seat. But the trade off is that the armrest cannot be lifted up.

Anyways, this flight was 100% in the back. Door closed right on time at 9:50, pushed back at 10:00 and we took off at 10:10.

Food service consist of a few pieces of biscuits. Just as bad as most US domestic flights.

The whole European continent seem to be cloud-covered, so no view of any mountains.

Plane touched down in FCO at 11:40 for a flight time of exactly 1:30. After a long taxi, we were at the gate at 11:50. Five minutes early. [But I still just missed the 12:05 Leonardo Express train by about one minute.]
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Wally read it. I'm still convinced that the middle of the cabin is warm and the galley area is cool. I always bring a sweater in case I'm near the galley. When I see people wearing flip flops on a international flight I hope they have a back-up. Why take a chance of starting a vacation with a cold. At least bring a pair of socks, however, Qantas and BA usually provide them. Rkkwan, we need to make a wine drinker out of you. Red wine instead of blood pressure pills. You should have seen what my white shirt looked like after my 15 drinks. That's why I had a black sweater on.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:46 AM

rkkwan, thanks for this. Although I am unlikely to ever fly AF (and even more unlikely to fly ex-IAH), I find these kinds of things very interesting.

About the toasty cabin, I think wally is right in saying there are warmer and cooler areas. I once had a long discussion with AC flight attendants about it being too warm on a 737. As the aircraft was nearly empty, they suggested I move to the back of the cabin, which was noticeably cooler. Given a choice, I will happily sit in a cool if not cold cabin in preference to it being too warm.

Anselm
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the report, rkkwan. I'm in the process of attempting to change my CDG connection to FCO for March. I just think that it's going to be really iffy on making it. I wouldn't normally care if I had to take a later flight due to a missed connection, but I am meeting family at FCO and prefer them to know what time to expect me rather than leave them hanging with no way to reach them...especially after they will have had an even longer journey than me.

I'm presently due to arrive CDG 2C at 0630 and my connection to FCO commences boarding in 2F at 0645 with departure at 0715. I never have a problem with immigration or getting around CDG. However, the security line at 2F is what concerns me after having a very long line for the same terminal with a connecting flight to Venice recently.

So, I am looking into changing my departure for FCO to 0850 and if I can't change the flight, then I guess we'll see just how fast I can run thru CDG and how charming I am at letting others allow me in front of them in the security line at 2F.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Statia - This is the first time I transit CDG since 1981. That time it was CDG1, of course.

Anyways, I researched extensively about 2C-&gt;2F connection because I had assumed that would be the case. If I had known I'd have arrived 2F, then I would have investigated if it would be faster to just use the regular immigration line (as in going to Paris), instead of using those between 2F2 and 2F1. Especially after I saw the long confusing lines there.

Anyways, maybe it would be better if it wasn't Christmas Day morning, but I don't know.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:41 AM

statia...you'd be well advised to take the 8:50...45 min. is technically a legal connection, but why worry? the thing is, alot of planes from the North America arrive around 6am, so you have alot of people at customs, security, etc...you never know what terminal you'll arrive in, and heaven forbid you have to park on the tarmac and wait for one of those buses! last time, i took 3 buses just to my connection! 1 bus from tarmac to terminal, 1 bus to departing terminal, another bus from terminal to tarmac! believe me, the time goes so fast. you can have coffee, and before you know it you'll be boarding for FCO!

rkkwan...i know what you mean! i am never comfortable on flights. too hot, too cold, sometimes on the same flight. particularly in business class, i'm usually really warm.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I actually wasn't complaining about the cabin temperature. It's just a habit of mine to cover myself with the blanket, fasten the seatbelt on the outside, and then go to sleep on long flights. I was simply surprised that I woke up sweating.

Wally - I lack the enzyme to break down ethanol efficiently, like many Asians. That's why I can only drink a beer (light preferred) on the plane. The other particulates in wines make things worse for me onboard. I would drink wine on the ground, but not on a plane.

As for flip-flops, that's my favorite footwear for flights around the US, weather permitting. No need to take them off for security. I love them. But not for a winter trip to Europe.

Anyways, return trip MXP-EWR-IAH on Continental coming up later today.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments about my flights to Australia on BA and Qantas. Qantas has got to be my favorite airline. BTW, I heard that Continental keeps the Fasten Seat Belt sign on all of the time because if the plane crashes, it is easier to identify the bodies. Have a nice return.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Hahaha... I meant that the report for the return trip will be up shortly. I came back 1/2.

Wally - I read your report. Good write up. Not much to comment about, except that the ground speed of a plane is dependent on mostly wind speed, and secondly the design of the wings of the plane. For modern long-haul equipment, 747 &gt; 777/767 &gt; 330/340. Number of engines has really nothing to do with it.

I think we've discussed enough about seat belt signs and drink charges, so I won't go into another discussion with you.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

I flew the return flights on Continental with my parents from Milan (MXP) to Houston on 1/2/06. Here are the details:

<b>At airport:</b>

We arrived by the Malpensa Shuttle bus at 8:00am for our 10:10am flight. Continental and other USA-bound flights are checked in at a secluded area in the far side of the terminal.

We stepped into the &quot;Elite&quot; line and an agent asked if we're interested in a possible voluntary bump. The offer is an economy seat 2 days later, $500 in voucher and 2 nights of hotel either at a lake-side resort or in central Milan. I need to return to work, but my parents signed on. Not guarantee, but they'll put their names on the list.

There's a line for security, but it moves relatively fast. Our plane sit next to an Alitalia 777 that's scheduled to depart for JFK 10 minutes before ours. As a result, the waiting area was very crowded and there was a line at the coffee and snack bar.

Boarding started early at 9:30am. My parents didn't get the bump, as we left with I think 2 seats open in coach (one is next to me). They gave my parents one drink coupon each for volunteering, a standard practice.

I had seat 23F, my parents 21K/L.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

<b>Equipment:</b>

CO45 was on a 767-200ER, tail number N67158. CO's 762 are very new, this one delivered May 2001. I will say that the 762 is the most comfortable aircraft in Continental's fleet, at least in coach. Same seat and individual IFE as their 777, but with a 32&quot; pitch vs 31&quot;. Also, a 2-3-2 layout means least chance of middle seat and most luggage space. With 4 lavatories for &lt;150 seats, the ratio is also excellent.

The info on seatguru.com is mostly correct. I'd recommend against Row 20 on the side as well, as they're still too close to the lavatories.

I noticed one change since my last trip on a CO 767/777. The &quot;DJ&quot; on the Chinese channel (#19) now alternates between Mandarin and Cantonese. Before CO flies to Beijing, it's Cantonese only. But he's clearly a Hong Kong guy as he speaks Mandarin like I do - which is to say, horrible.

The IFE on some section of the plane was frozen shortly after takeoff. They have to reboot it once. Worked fine for everybody since.

<b>In flight service:</b>

It's standard CO trans-Atlantic fare, which is to say not much to talk about. No menu, no towel, no amenities, no nothing.

[Something funny happened to me, however. I handed the FA a drink voucher and asked for a beer. Somehow, the FA thought she was working somewhere else and said that wasn't required. She came to her senses a minute later, but said the beer was on her.]

Anyways, lunch includes: a salad; chicken parmasean or lasagna bolongase; black forest cake. Edible. Before arrival, a turkey &amp; cheese sandwich, bag of chips and chocolate.

I didn't check if they left food in the galley in the back, but the FA circulated the cabin at least three times - with water twice and orange juice once.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

<b>Flight details:</b>

Scheduled: CO45 MXP 10:10a EWR 1:25p

Actual for 1/2/2006:

- Door closed 10:05
- Pushed back 10:12 (we left gate before the Alitalia 777 next to us, which was scheduled for 10:00 departure)
- Took off 10:25

- Expected arrival was 1:19pm for a flight time of 8:54

- Initial flight level is 34,000 ft. Flew over Turin, Vichy, and just touched the SW tip of Normandy. [My parents got a good view of Mount Blanc on the right side of the plane.]

- Went up to 350 south of Ireland. Ground speed across most of Atlantic was about 460-480mph. Strong turbulence about half-way, again near Newfoundland, and one more time off Nova Scotia.

- Went up to 360 just before touching the SE tip of NF, and then 380 south of Nova Scotia.

- Started decending very early; we were at 25,500ft when directly over Boston.

- Landed at 1:15. Waited for only about 1 minute to get an international arrivals gate at EWR, very lucky.

<b>EWR:</b>

- No line at immigration for US citizens and residents.

- Line was kind of chaotic at the &quot;left&quot; security points at Terminal C, so we walked to the middle section which was a little less crowded. Using the &quot;Elite Access&quot; line, we got through in a few minutes.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

<b>EWR-IAH:</b>

This was on CO63, another 762ER, tail number N73152 (delivered 11/00). The big disappointment was that my parents didn't get upgraded to the excellent BusinessFirst seats. Instead, they have the same seats as the previous flight, 21K/L, while I moved up two rows to 21F. Lots of &quot;Elites&quot; on EWR-IAH, so chances are slim for upgrades unless one's a Platinum.

There is no food service on this flight at all, because of the time of day. Instead, we got two beverage services. For some seats, the interactive menu on the IFE wasn't working, so I couldn't play games. But regular video/audio/airshow worked.

Scheduled: CO63 3:15p 6:10p

Actual:
2:50 start boarding
3:22 door closed (were waiting for a few connecting passengers)
3:27 pushed back
3:43 took off

Went straight to flight level 380 on a straight shot to Houston. Went up to 400 at the VA/TN/NC &quot;corner&quot;. Ground speed went down to 380mph over the Blue Ridge in VA. That may be the lowest I've ever seen.

6:05 touched down, and strangely we parked at gate D11. The FA apologized for the long walk to the &quot;C&quot; baggage claim, but I called my cousin to pick us up at Terminal D instead.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

<b>Comments:</b>
1. I am a very lucky flyer. No question about that. All my flights were on-time, all connections made.

2. The experience on the CO flight was in-line with other CO flights I've taken.

3. So, I'll concentrate on the AF experience.

The good:

- The seats on their 777-300ER are really something!

- Food service is clearly better than any US airline, but the raviolis I had could still be improved.

The bad:

- One toilet not working

- No online checkin. Not a big problem if one's FlyingBlue or Skyteam Elite. But for the regular folks, it's an extra wait in line at the counter.

- Seat assignments that aren't honored

- CDG.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:56 AM

otto, thanks for the advice. It will cost me $100 to change to the 8:50 a.m. flight, but I think I very well might do that. I agree that it will be much less stressful in connecting with knowing I have plenty of time and won't miss my flight to FCO. My poor mom and sister will just have to wait 3 hours for me at FCO, but I do think it will be the best best bet with not being held up any later by missing the 7:15 a.m. connection and then the 8:50 a.m. flight being full, thereby delaying me even more that day.

Thanks for the report, rkkwan.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Statia - I don't know if I would pay $100 to change it. If you miss the connection, AF/AZ will put you on the next one, and there are several flights later in the day, including the AF1504 I took they'll put you on.

Now, I know you have your sister and mother to take care of. But on my trip, my mom and dad also flew on seperate flights to FCO. I just gave them instructions to take the train and go to the hotel first. Perhaps that will work for you too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -