Search

LHR TO HK with 14 month old on lap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR TO HK with 14 month old on lap

Hi,
i'm looking for any advise re; flying with my 14 month old on Qantas from LHR to HK. Does any one have experience with the bassinets on offer on Qantas? He is a fairly small baby and currently weighs 10kg, (will be flying in 14 weeks). I remember flying with my older son (singapore airline) when he was nearly 2 to Australia and although the bassinet was supposed to be up till 2 years old, his feet hung out the end!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM

From Qantas' website:

<i>If you require a bassinet onboard, you must notify Qantas at the time of reservation. Bassinets may be requested for infants up to 18 months of age, but the recommended age limit for bassinet use on international flights is eight months. The weight limit is 11kg (25lbs). The bassinet size is 71cm x 31cm (28in x 12in). The depth is approximately 26cm (10.5in). Infants paying 10% of the adult fare who are too large for bassinets are not entitled to a seat and must be nursed. Alternatively, the payment of a child's fare would ensure a seat. Bassinets are subject to availability.</i>

So, technically, he can use a bassinet, but he'll be pretty cramped in it for sure.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM

&quot;So, technically, he can use a bassinet, but he'll be pretty cramped in it for sure.&quot; - he will learn the disadvantages of the flying couch from a very early age
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I really think that I would not count on using the bassinet as he seems way too big for its use now-imagine in another 2 1/2 months? The airline that I work for only has two bassinets per flight so they are at a premium.Personally, at that age with wanting to get up and walk around,etc. I would look into obtaining him his own seat. Its a long flight that will be made more miserable with him on your lap.The only other alternative is to hope that you can get a bulkhead and make up a &quot;play area&quot; at your feet for him but if you have alot of turbulence that won't be an option. Good Luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:20 AM

Have you considered your seat mates?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies so far....i guessed he might be cramped but at least when/IF he sleeps we might be able to get a few hours without holding him.
We will be travelling with hubby,7year old and my sister +husband + 17 &amp; 18 year old nieces-any suggestion on what seating to try and reserve/request at airport.
Did think about getting a seat but at &pound;1300 a ticket we might have to be prepared for the worst!!!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Bassinets are only at the bulkhead rows, in the middle (DEFG seats). Just try to get all the other seats close-by on the 747 with 3-4-3 seating.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:48 AM

Your son may be slightly bigger by the time he flies, but well no harm in requesting one. I very much liked the BA's reclining seat-type (where you can change angles) rather than the box-type I've seen at other carriers.

Just a few words of caution: some airlines says they cannot guarantee bassinets. Since they'll be at bulkhead seats, you won't have luggage storage in front of your seat. Also I've struggled with meal trays as you can't really fold down tables with a bassinet.

Another option--if you're flying off-peak, is just to see if there is an empty seat when you check-in. If it's not bulkhead, you can lift the arm rest and let your baby spread and sleep on the spare seat.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM

When my baby was a baby, about 7 months I took a chance with empty seats. That is a long flight holding him, and to be honest who wants to pay for another seat? If you do end up payinf for a seat, then you put the baby in a car seat which you provide. I would hope for seat availability if I were you.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM

I just had a flight from Rome to the US today with parents that wanted a bassinet at the bulkhead in business class. They had not booked the reservation so we tried to ask people to change seats to accomodate everyone.Six different people REFUSED to change seats (2-2-2 seating in business class) so that the couple could have their baby in the bassinet. I could not believe it! They ended up keeping the baby during the flight in his carseat and my coworkers and I agreed that we think the child was more comfortable in that than the bassinet. I would just &quot;beg&quot; for a bulkhead so you can have that area for your child to stand or possibly sleep(even if its on blankets on the floor by your feet).I still cannot believe in the &quot;kindnesses extended to one and another&quot; while traveling-unbelievable how people think!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Is a baby safe sleeping in a bassinet on the floor in front of the bulkhead seats? I must admit I did this with my daughter when she was about 4 months old. But what would happen if the airplane hit turbelance?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM

&lt;&lt;Is a baby safe sleeping in a bassinet on the floor in front of the bulkhead seats?&gt;&gt;

Its not actually on the floor, its attached to the side of the bulkhead. It has a velcro cover in case of minor turbulence but if it is bad turbulence then you are told to take the baby out and strap it next to you with the extra seatbelt provided.

Geordie
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Many people who pay thousands of dollars to fly business class have their favorite seat on the flight that they pick up weeks or months in advance. They did their homework and legwork and you didn't.

To expect someone to just switch seat with you is pretty silly, IMHO.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM

I have to agree with rkkwan, as &quot;mean&quot; as it sounds. We fly business class using our FF miles, which means we plan ahead a year in advance for these trips. I'm not sure if I would feel so charitable towards someone who had not &quot;made reservations&quot; for the bulkhead seat they wanted for a bassinet. Apparently they had a seat for the child since they were using a car seat, so IMHO I think that the other passengers were not so unkind. And I have traveled as a parent with small children, so I get that part, too.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Funny I almost always find &quot;kind&quot; fellow passengers quickly offering to move to further rows/seats as soon as I board the plane with my toddlers... ;-)