Flightmemory.com - website to track your lifetime flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a brand new website that allows you to record all the flights you've taken in your life, and it will give you stats, map them out, etc. You can add lots of optional information, including tail number, seats, etc. Registration is free.

www.flightmemory.com

I spent literally the whole weekend to input mine. I have done most of the longhauls and include flights to basically all the airports I've visited in the world. But there are some domestic flights that I didn't record as I can't remember exact routing; and I didn't record all the duplicate HKG-NRT-DFW-IAH that I flew many times between 1988 and 1990/1, or some other HKG-TSA/TPE and TSA-HUN in Taiwan.

My.FlightMemory.com/rkkwan

92 airports recorded though actually it should be 93, as HKG is actually two airports - Kai Tak and now Chek Lap Kok
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
yk

Very cool!

Don't think I'll be tempted to sign up.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Great fun ! Trouble is trying to remember those flights from years back. I know many regulars of the Asia side would really enjoy this, you deserve the honour to tell them.
Great find!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Anyways, the German version of the site has been up for about 2 months, but it's only few days ago when they release an English version. Really really cool.

It would really help if:

- one collects boarding passes; (I don't).

- one has all his/her old passports; (I only have my two most current ones, dating from 1991).

- one has lots of photos and travel memorabilia. (I have some, and was going through all of them whole weekend).

Anyways, I guess I'll cross post to the Asia, Europe and US boards, as those are the one I usually post on.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM
yk

rk-

OK, I got sucked into registering for the site. And subsequently, wasted quite a few hours on it already.

Funny though, even though I don't save most boarding passes, I did save most of the transatlantic ones over the last few years.

Then, I found a treasure trove - a binder where I kept the statements of FF programs since 1994 (until they stopped mailing out paper statements).

Found statements from NW, CO, BA etc. Didn't realize I've connected in DTW and MEM before (but I do remember connecting in GSO).

Unfortunately, the time period between 2000 - 2004 remains somewhat of a black hole.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Sigh. I threw away all the old statements except for the then-most-current ones.

I feel sorry for those who've helped you move. Like what? 5 times? since 1994.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Neat site rk - now if they can just factor in the number of trees that I need to plant to offset the CO2!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Do most people remember their childhood flights? I have only a vague idea of what times, etc. I think a lot of the flights were on Northwest, and I had some complicated North American itineraries, but other than that, it's more or less a black hole.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

I can't remember flights as recent as 1995-99! I went to Seattle and Vancouver several times during that period, and I can't remember what airline or how I get there!

[Well, it's also part of my life that I don't particularly want to remember! ]

But I've given up on all the flights between HKG and TSA/TPE in the late 70's. We went to Taiwan like every year, and I know I've been on Japan Asia (subsidiary of JAL that serves Taiwan), that uses DC-8s. Also SQ (DC-8, I believe), CX (707) and CI (707). But all those just blend in my memory all together.

So, what I did was to at least got the routes and airports covered at least once.

The longhauls are more memorable, except for my numerous flights between Houston and Hong Kong. I'm actually kind of surprised how many different trans-Pacific routes I've used.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Fun site rk. I spent a few hours there and completly gave up on dates, aircraft and some of the other info that would be really neat to have.
I still have alot to input and will have to rack my brain to remember a lot of the flights. Did jolt my memory to include some Eastern flights and flights to/from YNG back when they had commercial flights.

Did you have any Pan Am flights that you remember?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

I have taken one Pan Am flight in my life. A strange domestic one from LAX to IAH in 1983.

But I had <b>seen</b> many of their 747s flying into HKG (Kai Tak) when I was growing up in Hong Kong.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:47 AM

I spent a while on it, like others I canot remember dates so I just guessed at the year, you do 'not' have to put in a date, you can just put in a year.
You can manualy enter any airline they do not list.
Was nice then to see the map, I guess more than just fun is a nice way to actualy plan out any multiple journey across the world.
It also shows flight times, so I guess using it for a visual guide to a planned multiple stop jounrey can be fun.
All in all a very interesting site.
I am going to top-it on the Asia side as I know many regulars there who will enjoy it.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

They give you the distance based on Great Circle calculations; but I'm not sure how it gets the flight time.

It doesn't put routing or wind into determination, and it doesn't have to be based on real routes. Also doesn't care about plane type, so one have to enter real time if it's on a Concorde or propeller plane.

The estimation seems to be based on some set cruising speed, plus additional time for departure/arrival. For example, for my shortest flight, 23mi DCA-IAD, it gives a flight time of 0:32, for an average of 43MPH; the 8,062mi EWR-HKG is 14:55, for average of about 540MPH.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Ha, I hit a small jackpot. Found some of my older FF account statements! [Yes, before everything becomes online-only!] This is great. I can enter some more flight data. Yahoo!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Added basically all my longhauls, after finding all the old BPs last night! Just missing a couple of trips from Houston to Vancouver that I have no recollections.

It now stands at 234 flights, 936 hours (approx), 458K miles (almost a roundtrip to the moon), 92 airports.

Had to delete one airport - BNA. Somehow I thought I have flown through there on AA, but I cannot find any proof.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Well, I found an useful tool to search for specific domestic flights from 1995 onwards. Including tail number, scheduled and actual departure time, wheels-off time, etc.

http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...ledStatistics/
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM

I'm sure Bob would love this, kept away from it for a while but trying to add more now.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

After my recent trip to HKG, I've officially flown more than a roundtrip to the moon.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Awwww, I thought it was going to be a site where you could put your name or SSN in or something and it pulled all of your old flights up for you...Obviously some security issues there, but I was excited about the prospect of seeing everywhere I've flown. Oh well...
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Did anyone see the quote from wombat7 in USAToday ? Its in the left column of the 'Destinations and Diversions' section (Friday's paper).

&quot;Now, noted one wag on fodors.com, 'If they can just factor in the number of trees....&quot;

the 'mainstream press' is now quoting posters...