Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please, can anyone sugest a good Venice Restaurant that wont break the bank?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Sonia

I need to book a nice restaurant in Venice for New Years eve, but the few i've looked at are over 140 euros per person. Is there somewhere cheaper where we will still have good food and a memorable evening?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Sonia

OK, so I can't spell... No reason to ignore me!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:30 AM
elaine

Sonia<BR>I don't know what they charge on N Y's Eve, but Da Raffaele is a nice, usually moderately-priced restaurant quite near San Marco and it is one of my favorites.<BR>Reliable, pleasant food, attractive interior.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
meg

Try a search fro Venice restaurants- this has been a frequent discussion item

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Jim

Again don't know how you would book it for New Year's Eve, but we were just thrilled with the Taverna San Trovaso. It is located on the Fondamenta Priuli in Dorsoduro, not far from the Squero di San Trovaso (a boatyard where gondolas are made) and the San Trovaso church. Lots of Google hits for it. We ate there three times last month, and thats a lot considering we only spent four nights in Venice.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:40 PM
John G

Would you be willing to go to the island of Burano and eat at Gato Nero for your New Year's Eve supper? It is very cheap, the seafood is fresh, and the ambience is very family oriented and neighborly.<BR><BR>It might be fun to get away from Venice and head to Burano instead. In fact, I would say it would be downright adventuresome.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Dora

I agree with Jim. Taverna San Travosa in Dorsoduro is a great find. The food is delicious and it won't break the bank.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Cheryl

I think that Taverna San Trovaso is very touristy and the food isn't that<BR>gand ood! (sorry no offense meant)<BR>There is a wonderful truly Venetian resturant just over one campo called 'Ai Quattro Fieri' It has a limited but wonderful menu and it is truly filled with Venetians!<BR>If you go send my love to Betty and Barbara (the owners) You wont be disappointed!<BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
gaye

I too thought Taverna San Trovaso was very touristy and the quality of food poor. Even my teen sons, who will eat anything, thought it was too much like food at home. We did enjoy our dinner along side a small canal at da Raffaele. It is a place I would spend New Years Eve. Food, wine and service were very good!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Sandy

Cheryl--<BR>Do you have an address for 'Ai Quattro Fieri'?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Cheryl

The restaurant is called 'Ostaria ai 4 Feri' Calle lunga S Barnaba, Dorsoduro 2754/ Tel/fax 041-520 697 8<BR>Mangia bene!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Sandy

Thanks, Cheryl.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Topper

To the top

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:09 AM
scubatv

Best web site I've found for Venice restaurants and great maps.<BR><BR><BR>http://ristoranti.ombra.net/index.php?hlangs=en

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:24 AM
kavey

Search here for Rivista - we found the food here very good and I posted about it on this forum.<BR><BR>It's Italian food with a modern creative twist and the fresh bread basket with olive bread and walnut bread is just wonderful.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Kavey

What I said then:<BR><BR><BR><BR>Author: Kavey ([email protected])<BR>Date: 04/25/2002, 04:53 am<BR><BR>There are many good restaurants in Venice which are not as expensive as the "top" ones often mentioned here.<BR>I would recommend La Rivista which is in the Dorsoduro area, close to the Accademia Bridge, and part of the funky hotel Ca' Pisani. <BR>The menu is not long but everything is wonderful, I loved the bread basket, particularly the rolls with olive chunks and the ones with walnut pieces. Our pastas were superb, one was a spaghetti with goose foie gras and cauliflower and the other a garganelli pasta with rabbit ragout and spring onion. Dessert was also superb. We didn't have starters, and had a beer and a soft drink and a bottle of water. The bill for 2 was under 50 Euros.<BR>Kavey<BR><BR>