Reload this Page >

Venice New Years eve & hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Laurie

Hi Fodorites. Sorry for MORE Venice questions but I need help!<BR><BR>NEW YEAR'S EVE<BR><BR>We'll be in Venice for the first time at New Years. (will be meeting friends so there are 4 of us) Have scoured this sight (which is great!)for ideas on what to do for New Year's Eve. No Opera that nite. Da Fiore is closed, Harry's bar wants 2,200e/couple! We'd like to spend 100-150e/person but have a memorable time (view and/or music). Any thoughts?<BR><BR>HOTEL<BR><BR>The Accademia which everyone here raves about is fully booked for our dates so I had booked at the Hotel Ca D'Oro (3*) in the Cannareggio east area. No one here seems to mention it? Then, in trying to find some reviews of it, discovered almost the same rate (about 215e/nite) on a website called Totalstay.com at the Savoia y Jolanda which is now 4*. Questions:<BR>1. Anybody know abt the Ca D'Oro?<BR>2. Any experiences with www.totalstay.com? (the prices are VERY good).<BR>3. Which of these 2 hotels would you choose?<BR><BR>Thanks so much for any feedback. I know it's a lot to ask!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Sue

Laurie<BR><BR>Not sure I can help, but did spend last weekend in Venice, so have some views.<BR><BR>New Year's Eve - depends what your idea of memorable is. For us it would mean being in a little local place, hoping (unrealistically) that we would be the only tourists. This means that we would be eating simple food in simple surroundings and just soaking up what is going on around us. For that I could recommend several places, but would probably settle on Trattoria Ca D'Oro, which is very near the vaporetto stop at Ca D'Oro. We had a great (simple) meal ther and loved the atmosphere, the locals all stood at the bar, and just watching. But it may not be 'special' enough for you.<BR><BR>Hotel. We stayed at the brand new Palazzo Sant Angelo, at their special introductory rate of 180Euros plus tax. This is a real luxury 4 star hotel, right on the Grand Canal, by the Sant Angelo Vaporetto stop. Great rooms, furnished to high standard, towelling bath robes, marble bathroom with jacuzzi, and great views from bar and lounge. No restuarant, but breakfast included. Not sure if they'll have this rate at new year, but if they do I'd snatch their hands off for it. And even if it is more the luxury and location make it worth considering. The website is www.sinahotels.com<BR><BR>Hope this helps, enjoy Venice.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:14 AM
laurie

Sue-Thanks so much for the quick reply. Your trattoria sounds like a must try but may be a bit low key for NYEve. As for your hotel, just checked it out this morning as several others had mentioned it. They want a fortune for our dates! Thanks for your help!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Surlok

Laurie,<BR><BR>You might want to check Hotel Metrople. The hotel organizes a lovely N.Year's Eve party, starting in the afternoon,. We spent 1996/7, there, and when we left, on January, the 1st at 2 AM, the party was still going.<BR><BR>There were opera singers, magicians, a band playing, and it was great fun. Most of the performers wore &quot;Comedia del Arte&quot; costumes. We had a lovely time there.<BR><BR>The Metropole's url is:<BR><BR>http://www.hotelmetropole.com<BR><BR>Enjoy your New Year's Eve in Venice,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:46 AM
laurie

Thank you so much Surlok. Just emailed the Metropole to get details.<BR>Laurie

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:33 PM
Laurie

Thought I should report back (and have an answer on file) that we spent New Year's Eve at Antico Martini-actually their attached piano bar called Scala Martini &amp; it was fabulous! It was pricey at 232euros/person but that was less than any of the hotel &quot;galas&quot; (the Metropole was much more) It included live music &amp; dancing &amp; a 4 or 5 course dinner with wine. The service was excellent &amp; the food was divine. This is a great place for a special occasion celebration. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.