Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to go to read about the different arrondissements in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
lost

I am in the VERY early stages of planning for my first long awaited trip to Paris. I would like to get any help I can get about the different arrondissements? What makes them different? Any websites that can help would be helpful.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Fred

It's not critical at all where you stay as long as you're in the central area. The various areas (arrondisements) are right next to each other, across the street from each other. There's no great demarcation line. Everyone has their own favorite area they will argue for, from the Latin Quarter to St Germain to the Islands to the Marais to the Louvre area and on and on. You'll be out and about the whole city anyway, and the city is so easy to get around you can go to most areas quickly and easily for sites, restaurants, etc. The 1st, the 6th, parts of the 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th - they would all be fine for a first timer. If you're looking at hotels, look at addresses - 75001 is the 1st arrondisement, 75002 the 2nd, 75003 the 3rd, etc. The closer to the center the better for the first timer. For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Jayelle

Check out the Paris hotel guide at www.france.com. They provide a brief description of each of the arrondissements most frequented by tourists, along with hotel recommendations in each.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Alice

I will look for and top an earlier post that gives a description about each arrondisement - it is just what you are looking for..

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Alice

Well, darn, I thought I was going to help, but that thread must be in La-La Land... maybe someone saved it...?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:30 PM
Ira

Hi lost,<BR><BR> Try this<BR>http://www.paris.org/Maps/MM/<BR><BR><BR> This may be of use to you. Try<BR>http://www.sitesatlas.com/Europe/France/mfraint.htm<BR><BR> Click on Paris for a tour of the main points of interest.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Alice

Here is a website with some descriptive information, and a map:<BR>http://www.parisnet.net/parismap.html<BR><BR>Here is what it says (more than one post to get it all here)<BR>1st - 5th<BR>1&egrave;re This is the geographical center of Paris and a haven for tourists. The Louvre, Les Halles and the Palais Royal are all here. <BR><BR>2&egrave;me A primarily business district. The Paris Stock Market (the Bourse) and the Biblioth&egrave;que Nationale are here. <BR><BR>3&egrave;me Along with the 4&egrave;me arrondissement, this neighborhood makes up the Marais, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Paris. Many 17th century mansions that once housed the noblest families in Paris are still to be seen in this quiet and ungentrified neighborhood. <BR><BR>4&egrave;me The center of the Marais, this is a lively neighborhood with a strong alternative lifestyle scene as well as lots of trendy bars, shops, and restaurants. The rue des Rosiers is a centerpiece of Jewish lifestyle in Paris and the Ile St. Louis and the Ile de la Cit&eacute; are the oldest parts of Paris. <BR><BR>5&egrave;me The fabled Latin Quarter. This neighborhood takes its name from the Sorbonne, where Latin was the common tongue for all students during the Middle Ages. The neighborhood has the feel of a small village and students mix freely with professionals in its winding streets. The rue Mouffetard is a primary artery where shops, international restaurants and student bars and caf&eacute;s are found. <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Alice

6th - 10th<BR>6&egrave;me St. Germain. Once the hangout for bohemians and intellectuals, this neighborhood has undergone gentrification and is now newly chic. Upscale boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants can be found throughout this district. <BR><BR>7&egrave;me The Eiffel Tower, the Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay and lots of international residents can be found in this very wealthy neighborhood. <BR><BR>8&egrave;me This upscale neighborhood is in fact quite diverse. The area around Champs Elys&egrave;e, has lots of shopping and lots of tourists, while in the area to the East, between the Champs Elysee and Place de la Madeleine you will find a mixture of 19th century buildings intermingled with businesses. This area is in someways similar to parts of the 16th, but is generally less pretentious. <BR><BR>9&egrave;me A diverse residential area popular among an artistic crowd. Ths Southern portion is similar to the 2nd arrondissement, with a mix of residential and business buildings. The Paris Opera is located here. Farther North is Pigalle, the fading Red Light district as well as the famous Moulin Rouge. <BR><BR>10&egrave;me The two great train stations in Paris are here, the Gare de l'Est and the Gare du Nord. This multi-cultural neighborhood also contains a bohemian element. <BR>

Christina

There was a very good post on here that described them, I guess that's what Alice is looking for -- I think it was by Francesca, but I could be wrong.<BR><BR>Two very good web sites that describe areas of Paris are www.timeout.com and www.jack-travel.com (go to the Visits by Arrondisement section).

Alice

11th - 15th<BR>11&egrave;me Place de la Bastille and the New Opera are found here. This is a primarily residential district. <BR><BR>12&egrave;me Residential neighborhood bordered on the east by the Bois de Vincennes ( a nice park ). <BR><BR>13&egrave;me Residential neighborhood, as well as Paris' Chinatown. <BR><BR>14&egrave;me Montparnasse and the Cit&eacute; Universitaire are found in this residential district traditionally known for its lively caf&eacute;s and restaurants around the Blvd. Montparnasse. <BR><BR>15&egrave;me This large primarily residential neighborhood ranges from very upscale in the area bordering the 7th arrondissement and the Seine, to relatively safe and affordable in the more outlying areas. <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:37 PM
Alice

16th - 20th<BR>16&egrave;me Bois de Boulogne, Trocadero. Although it is not as exclusive as the 7th arrondissement, the 16th is widely regarded as the neighborhood for the wealthy. <BR><BR>17&egrave;me This diverse district really contains more than one neighborhood, with the portion, in the west, near the Arc de Triomph and Parc Monceau, being very upscale. <BR><BR>18&egrave;me Montmartre. This artsy residential neighborhood has a small village feel and lots of tourists. <BR><BR>19&egrave;me The Parc des Buttes Chaumont. A residential neighborhood with many ethnic restaurants and shops. <BR><BR>20&egrave;me Belleville and the P&egrave;re-Lachaise cemetery. An outlying residential area that is becoming yuppified. <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Lynn

Just be careful about the metro stations you have to return to at night if you are using them. There are a few where it is not advisable for tourists to go after dark or after 9 pm or so anyway. I would also think twice about staying in Montmartre (there'll probably be howls about this from others) but the presence of large numbers of police and prevalence of shutters and grilles does give some indication of how safe you may feel. The Marais and the Latin Quarter are both busy areas at night and I have never felt unsafe on the streets there even alone. However this is based on my experience only.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:59 PM
kathy

Can I say this--see Arthur frommer Budge trvl magazine from Aug 2002--has 20 low priced hotel in Paris--that doesnt really anwaer your question but may hep find a hotel and figure out the dif arr.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM
JBX

Up for Lisa. Here's discussion about different neighborhoods in Paris. Generally most posters on this forum favor the 4th, 5th, 6th &amp; 7th arr; a smaller group prefers to stay in the 1st or 8th.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping a good description of arrondissements
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM

Why don't your purchase a Michelin Green Guide. It will give you all that you need.

Joan
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I frankly do not believe in a "good definition of arrondissements." The atmosphere can change from street to street anywhere, and visitors can be delighted or disappointed anywhere in Paris.

We have seen many examples here of people who absolutely love arrondissements that other people despise, and vice versa.

Proximity to a metro station on a convenient line is often one of the most important factors.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM

I agree with that mostly, and think people obsess about this way too much since they don't seem to understand that the boundaries are political/geographical, they weren't determined by atmosphere. However, I think there are some broad differences in the majority of some -- like 7th versus 10th, I would say is different. Most people simply need to pick a central one with good metro access instead of fixating on what one is like, I think.

This original question was from SEVEN years ago, anyway.