Poland experts: best hotel Krakow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother wants to go to Krakow in July and she only stays at the best hotels. What is the best hotel in Krakow? We are not looking for a Holiday Inn-style place, but something with charm, large bedrooms, maybe a garden, and swimming pool. The hotel CAN NOT smell like old plumbing and/or fried potatoes. Thanks for any advice. John G
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Are you kidding about the pool? I think the Hotel Copernicus is probably the best hotel in town. It's new, so it's a little more deluxe with more modern amenities than some of the other high-level hotels in the city. In Krakow, even some of the best are not quite what you'd expect in comparison to other cities -- the Francuski, Grand, Amadeus, and Pod Roza are probably among the other best in terms of those with style and character. There are certainly some deluxe high-end other hotels, like a Sofitel. The Francuski, even though one of the best, doesn't even have double beds from what I saw, only twins, for example.<BR><BR>The Copernicus is a small, luxury hotel in a former nobleman's residence, with frescos, minibars, library, suites with jacuzzi, the works. The owners also have the Pod Roza where I stayed, and loved, but it doesn't have these newer luxury touches. Certainly no pool, and the Pod Roza doesn't have AC in all the rooms, either, but the Copernicus does.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, Chris. I was looking at the Copernicus and the Elektor. I wasn't kidding about the pool. I saw that the Sofitel had a heated indoor pool. Is Krakow very hot in July? Does the Copernicus have a garden? Thanks for all the help. John G.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:53 AM

I haven't been there in July, only May/June so can't say about the heat, but I suspect it can get hot -- it's not on the coast or other areas in Europe that can have more moderate summer weather due to the water. I think it can get hotter than London/Paris for sure, but you'll have to check.<BR><BR>I forgot about the Elektor, I guess it's high-end for Krakow (which, as I said, does not have a lot of luxury hotels) but I think is still only rated 3-star or so. I don't think it's as high as Pod Roza, Sofital, Amadeus and Copernicus. I read the Sofitel was closed for two years for renovation, begining last Nov.<BR><BR>I don't know if Copernicus has a garden exactly, but everything else you want it seems. There is a glass-enclosed patio according to web sites, with piano bar and library and a terrace. Their own web site doesn't show much, but has descriptions. They do have an indoor lap pool, sauna, fitness center.<BR><BR>http://www.hotel.com.pl/copernicus/english/emain.htm<BR><BR>If you want an outdoor pool, I think you must stay outside the main city, of course. There are 4* deluxe business-style hotels out there. I think the Radisson SAS might be the best choice in that category, as it isn't really far out, but closer to central Krakow near the Symphony. It has a pool, but I don't know if it's outdoors. I doubt if it's charming exactly.<BR><BR>You might want to check www.hotelspoland.com for good rates and customer comments. I thought you meant someone else when you called me Chris, but I guess it's only me on here
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help, Christina. In America, Chris is a diminutive for Christina.