Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for Ira (Re: Hotel Bonaparte, Paris triple rooms)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ira, we're interested in a triple room also and are considering Hotel Muguet.

I see you recommend the Hotel Bonaparte quite often. As the hotel has no website so pictures of the rooms aren't available, can you please describe what the hotel is like especially the triple rooms such as how are they furnished, are the bathrooms recently renovated, shower guard/curtain provided, air condition, view,etc. (oh, and also what do they serve for breakfast?)?

The Muguet has a couple of pictures of the rooms and a bathroom and they look very clean and nice so it would be good to get a comparison of the two because the Bonaparte is surely in a much central location and seems much cheaper than the Muguet.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:02 AM
ira

Hi franco,

I admit that I'm a bit of a nut on the Bonaparte because we first stayed there in 1987, and have gone nowhere else.

In April 2001, the bathrooms had all been redone. No bidets anymore. Large tubs, all marble, hair dryers in room.

Rooms have A/C, mini fridge and small safe. Nearly all rooms have antique fireplaces and mostly antique furnishings.

Breakfast, (croissants, rolls, butter, jam, coffee/tea/milk/chocolate) is served in the room at a table by the French windows (nearly all rooms) which are double-paned to keep out street noises.

View is either out to the apartments across the street or over the roofs at the back.

Can't describe the triples, as have only stayed in doubles, but we have had a double bed, armoire, table, fridge night tables and room to walk around.

You can see a photo of the rather modest entrance at http://pagesjaunes.voila.fr/
as well as take a tour of the neighborhood. There is also a map.

fax : 01 46 33 57 67

If you decide to stay there, please do me two favors
1) say "bonjour" to Madam,

2) find the boulangerie that advertises that it was the winner of the 2000 Best Croissant in Paris contest and post the address. It is within a five-minute walk of the hotel.

PS, Laduree now has a shop at 21 rue Bonaparte.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, thanks, the hotel sounds pretty good and what a great location for such low rates! Last year I stayed around the corner at the d'Angleterre which I did not care for-not due to the location though. And I did find Laduree which is right on the corner of rues Jacob and Bonaparte. Had I known about Hotel Bonaparte I would have walked by and checked it out as it's so close.

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:15 AM
ira

Hi francophile,
You are welcome.

If you exit the hotel and go left to the corner, and left again at St Sulpice church, you will find two or three streets full of restaurants.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM
ira

ttt
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Francophile,

As Ira knows, I'm also a big fan of Hotel Bonaparte. His description is accurate. Understand though, the rooms are not "elegant". That said, I would return to the Bonaparte....right now, if I could!

And, Ira...I think you "left out" a "left turn". To get to the restaurants behind Hotel Bonaparte one would exit left out of the hotel, turn left at the corner on St. Sulpice square, and TURN LEFT AGAIN at the Cafe de Marie. Voila! All kinds of restaurants for your pleasure.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi JeanneB, can you be specific as to what "not elegant" means? I'm imagining that maybe the furniture is plain or it may be both plain and worn out.

Very important also, is there any shower guard to prevent floods in the bathroom?

Sorry for the unending questions but it would help to know from those who have stayed there because of the non-existent hotel pictures.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I am not writing any of this to discourage you. We loved the Bonaparte and would return again and again.

First, do you know the number of the "triple" room? I may have seen it.

Now. "Not elegant" means plain...as well as worn in places. It's an old building, with winding hallways, soaring ceilings and some worn carpets. The lobby is small but welcoming. When we went upstairs, I was not enthusiastic at first, the hall was somewhat dim and worn looking. The furniture was very plain. The bed had seen better days. But, the minute I opened the large french windows, it "brought Paris inside" and I was perfectly happy. The St. Germain Market is right around the corner. I went there and bought a huge bouquet of ranunculas to brighten up the room.

My bath was large and even had a little french window. There was no shower guard, but the tub was deep, so this wasn't a problem for me.

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:10 AM
ira

Hi Jeanne,

You're right. I left out a left.

Francophile,

I can't recall if there was a shower curtain. I can't recall any complaining about water on the floor.

My wife enjoyed taking baths in the big tub. Lot's of hot water.

JeanneB's description is accurate. However, although the bed might have had some age on it, the mattress was perfectly fine.

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:20 AM
ira

Hi Jeanne,

Your mention of the market brought back pleasant memories. I would go there early in the morning to watch them set up. Such wonderful aromas!

Not far from the hotel was a patisserie that had won the 2000 "Best Croissant in Paris" contest. I have lost the name and address. Did you happen to come across it?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what is Laduree? We are just back from Paris. We stayed at the Danube on Rue Jacob so we were right down the street from the corner of Bonaparte and Rue Jacob, and I am wondering what I missed! Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM
ira

Hi Francophile,

I looked up the Muguet. It's just about the same as the Bonaparte, except that it has been recently spiffed up.

Our room had a fridge, which was nice for bringing back wine and cheese.

You certainly have a terrible dilemma. Let us know what you decide.

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM

IRA,

Which is the "triple" room at the Bonaparte?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the descriptions, JeanneB and Ira. Well, we stayed at the d'Angleterre and the furniture was antique I guess-at least they look like antiques as they were worn in some places. The floor kind of sloped probably from warping since the building is a few centuries old.

The Bonaparte sounds just as quirky as the d'Angleterre in some way. I suppose it's because the building is ancient also-well, almost all buildings in Paris are ancient so it's to be expected.

I agree with you Ira-I have a dilemma in choosing because it'll be nice to stay at the Muguet near rue Cler for a change but I really love St. Germain and rue Bonaparte is great.

To Suki, Laduree is one of the most famous patissieries in Paris. They have recently opened a branch on the corner of rues Jacob and Bonaparte. I'm not sure how you missed it since you're right there. Anyway, that branch is very small but has some tables. Most everyone orders their pastries to take out anyway. I remember clearly that on our first night at the d'Angleterre I made sure that my husband, son, and I got mille feuilles(sp.?) and eclairs to eat in our room later. The following day we got the macaroons for which Laduree is famous for.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:19 AM

Personally, I would take the Bonaparte over the Rue Cler area.

When you step out the door you are just steps from Blvd. St. Germain right at the church and Deux Magots. There's a Monoprix right down the street. The area shops are more upscale than what I saw in the Rue Cler area. Two metros within 2 blocks of the hotel.

As locations go, this one can't be beat.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:46 AM
ira

Hi Jeanne,

I don't know the number of the triple. I only recall a listing of rooms and room numbers on which "Single" and "Triple" appeared.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Is there only one triple room or several?

I am familiar with the area around the hotel and I'd say it is one of the best to stay. I hadn't stayed in such a central part of Paris until I stayed on rue Jacob. It is only a few blocks to the river and the Latin Qtr. Very convenient. I was thinking the rue Cler area would be different since I've heard so much about the street market but if the vicinity isn't too central then I'd rather stay in St. Germain. It's not too far to walk over to rue Cler even if I stay in St. Germain.

JeanneB, any reason(s) why rue Cler didn't interest you?
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry JeanneB, I meant rue Cler area.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:52 AM
ira

Hi francophile

You can look up the hotel Bonaparte on http://www.voila.fr/PJ/
where you can see a picture of the hotel and get the Fax and phone nos.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 09:13 AM

My parents (ARDENT francophiles and many times visitors to Paris) have settled on the Bonaparte as their favorite hotel to stay at that combines charm, value and location. There is a wonderful little Savoyarde restaurant (fondue and tartiflette, my dad swears by their steak) just down the street called La Montagnarde. The nearby Rue de Guisettes also has several little restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -