Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chaning plans and thinking of not doing a package deal for trip in 6 weeks. Any suggestions on hotels?

Chaning plans and thinking of not doing a package deal for trip in 6 weeks. Any suggestions on hotels?

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Need hotel suggestions for London trip in six weeks. Appears it's cheaper to book air and hotel separately. We do not nead a fancy hotel, but not a dive, either. Would like to maintain a budget of maybe $100 or less/night. Any ideas? Would like a good neighborhood (obviously!) close to a Tube station as this is our first trip. Please help!!! Thanks a million!

Tia
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Having read your previous post, Tia, I think you are smart. When we go to London on a budget trip we stay at the Hotel Montana on Glouchester (at Cromwell). Great location, across the street from the Gloucherster tube stop, nice neighborhood with restaurants and shops, walking distance to (free) museums. It's very basic but clean and safe.

This link will take you to a VirtualTourist site with lots of good free and cheap London things: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/46eb4/4b7ec/
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Hi Tia,
We stayed at The Thanet Hotel in Bloomsbury a few years ago. It's in a nice neighborhood (close to the British Museum) and within walking distance of two Tube stops (Russell Square and I think Holborn). Website is http://www.thanethotel.co.uk
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:37 AM

If you are going in 6 weeks, I would also check www.londontown.com as well as laterooms.com and lastminute.com to see what they have available. It may be too early for laterooms and lastminute but you can always book something that is cancellable without penalty and rebook a nicer hotel at a better rate prior to your departure.

Looking at londontown.com for the last week in Sept./first week of October, I have found double rooms at the:

4* Thistle Lancaster Gate at 64 GBP
3* Thistle Euston Hotel at 66 GBP
4* Thistle Kensington Park at 71 GBP
4* Thistle Kensington Gardens at 71 GBP

$100 isn't much for a hotel room in London and I think either the discounters listed above or Priceline.co.uk would be your best bet.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Hi
be sure to check for customer reviews on any hotel, esp the two hotels mentioned with Kensington in their names
I believe that at tripadvisor.com there were several strongly negative comments on the Thistle Ken. Park, but check to make sure
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Hi Tia:

You might look into Oxbridge Apartments for your stay. The website is:

http://www.oxrg.demon.co.uk/

I first heard about them on this board as a basic, clean, budget-type accomodation. They're located in Kensington and are about a 5 minute walk to the nearest tube station. Also in the neighborhood are two grocery stores, an internet cafe, a laundry area, etc. You can get more information by putting "Oxbridge" into the search box at the top of the page.

For three people, I got a 60 pound (about $99) per night rate. They also quoted me a rate of 45 pounds (about $75) for two people. Our flat has a living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen area.

While I haven't stayed there yet, based on what I've read here and elsewhere on the web, I feel pretty good about this place.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Jennie
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Topping for Tia . . .

Jennie
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:57 AM

ttt
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM
ElizabethBrown

I've said it once....I'll say it again.... PRICELINE.com

To see about my experience (which was fantastic) go to...

Priceline.com is a great bet!

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:14 AM

ElizabethBrown, Priceline can be a good deal IF you don't need to change or cancel your reservations. Remember, your booking is non-refundable once it is made.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Tia
Original Poster

Thanks to all that posted to my question. Jennie, I did go to the web site you suggested. I'm looking into that a bit more. I also looked at Priceline. Am I understanding correctly that you choose a hotel rating (5 star) and then enter a price ($100) and then they'll tell you if it's accepted or not, but you can't find out the name of the hotel until they charge your card? How do you know where it's located? That seems to be the best way to go, but it scares me a bit. Any advice? I'm arranging a flight from Chicago to London for $507, so that's done, but the hotel and the neighborhoods are still making my head literally SPIN!! I'm stressed out!!! Please advise. Thanks!

Tia
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Tia, if you are interested in bidding on Priceline, go to the www.biddingfortravel.com website to learn how to do it. Hotels are arranged by location in Zones, and the hotels within these zones and their star ratings are shown in the bidingfortravel website.