Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite moderate priced tour company for Europe and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, don't suggest I "do it on my own." That's fine if going to one or two cities, but to get a view of a large area I'd rather let someone else do the work. So, what moderate priced tour companies have you traveled with, and why do you like them. I'm probably going to Scandinavia this summer, maybe StPete.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

I have had excellent experiences with Brendan Tours. I have traveled to Europe several times on my own, but several years ago I wanted a guide for our Italy trip (didn't want to drive, etc.) and we had centrally located hotels, spent more than 12 hours in each location (LOL), a guide that did not treat us like idiots, and really saw (and learned) a lot. I highly recommend them.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM

You echo my thoughts exactly, mvpl.

In 1999, we booked a tour, our first, to Scandinavia thru Finnair. One of the optional extras was St Pete but there was also an extra excursion to the far north. I believe the operator was Bennett Tours and there were other travellers who had booked other than thru Finnair. We booked only the land portion and made our own air arrangements out of Boston and added extra time in Copenhagen at the beginning and London coming home.

All of the hotels were excellent as were the provided meals. The hotels in the cities (Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki) were centrally located. The hotel in St Pete was not but it was not a problem. The accommodations in the smaller towns were first class.

The tour included a morning ferry from Frederickshavn, Denmark to Goteborg, Sweden on the way to Oslo and an overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki.

My wife and I had previously been to Bergen, Oslo and Copenhagen independently in 1967 but didn't want the hassle of arranging all the connections and reservations and were very happy with the tour. We have since done tours in France and Italy and sandwich the tours between extra days in the cities. If we are going just to a couple of cities we do it independently.

Hope it works for you.

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Any other tour company (or even cruises) experiences out there?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM

Insight does a good job. I have traveled w/ them to Spain/Portugal, and Italy. Used Grand European for France and that was ok too. Maupintour to Egypt was outstanding as was Pacific Delight to China. Choose your itinery....then match the company to that. They all do a good job.....but decide what you want to see for sure...then select the company from that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
SRS

You may not get a lot of responses here - this board has a lot of independant travellers who share information. Most people here think they can plan their own trip which is better tailored to their interests and less expensive than with a tour. So far I am in this camp.

Having said that, I looked at the Rick Steves tours and I think they look fun. The price seems to be higher than what I think I could do it for, but sometimes the benefits (low stress, make friends, having all figured out) can outweigh negatives. Anyway, I would consider them myself. He's got feedback from old tours on his website.

Good luck!
Sally
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:26 AM
rex

Or, people can put together a trip directly from idea-sharing off this forum, as in the case of the "Fodorites' 2001 trip to Italy". I submit it's a safe bet that I am not the only person here who is willing and capable of organizing and leading such a trip.

For Finland and Russia in particular, I think you would do well to seek input from http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgUser....er&start=0

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM

I would not, "not" do Rick Steves.
I reserve my opinion, but they are expensive and not everything that shines is gold.......
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:21 PM

I've taken good tours in Europe with Globus and Grand European Tours, but I haven't been to Scandinavia. I have heard (from family friends who have been on these tours) that Go Ahead Vacations (www.goaheadvacations.com) and Smartours (www.smartours.net) both have very good Scandinavia trips.