Zurich hotel under 250 chf / 200 usd, location question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a few days in early June in Zurich, as part of our honeymoon. I am trying to find a reasonably-priced (see subject line) nice hotel and am having some difficulty. I had heard that one should stay on the west/left bank, rather than the right/east? Is this true? We would just like a safe area, with shops and restaurants, walking distance to Bahnhofstrasse, etc. Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Ok, after HOURS of searching, I have come up with some hotels that could fit the bill. Any advice on these (or others) would be great!
Hotel Adler
Hotel Helmhaus
Hotel Alexander
Hotel Bristol
Hotel Seefeld
Hotel Scheuble
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
Eli

The Bristol: have stayed there several times. A very satisfactory 3*** hotel.

The Helmhaus and Schueble: don't know them personally, but have read good reports about them here.

The remaining hotels are too close to the night life area, but this is a pesrsonal matter of taste. Not that you need to have any "safety" concerns about them, though.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:27 AM

I live in Zurich and have posted about some of the hotels. All the hotels would be a fine choice. All are located on the right/east bank. There really is not a big difference between the left and right banks; the right bank has the university, and so is a bit more lively in the evenings and has some more restaurants. Both are charming and safe, and are very close, Zurich is very small. Except for the Bristol and maybe the Alexander, none of them are really walkable from the train station, but you can take a tram in 5 -10 minutes or so. Without a lot of luggage, you could walk from the train station in 15- 20 minutes, although the Seefeld would be about a half hour walk. If you are considering hotels on the left/west bank (i.e. nearer the train station), list them here as we could comment on those as well.

My order of preference would be as follows. Note that the past two Junes here have been extremely hot (temps in the 90s) and no one is quite sure what this June will bring. Normally you would not need air conditioning in June, but you may want to seriously consider this. The other advantage of air conditioning is that you can close the windows at night, a big plus in June when it is light so late and people are out late as well. (I wish I had it!)

Hotel Helmhaus - The Helmhaus is air-conditioned, which makes it fine for June nights as you can shut the windows if it becomes noisy. Location of the Helmhaus is great, as it is right in the middle of the action, close to the river, close to a tram stop, and on a pedestrian-only street.

Hotel Seefeld - The Seefeld is not air-conditioned, but is a brand-new hotel and looks great from the lobby and bar, kind of minimalist chic. The rooms on the upper floors have balconies and I think some would have lake views. I disagree with Eli that the Seefeld is a noisy neighborhood, it is on a much quieter street and part of town than the another of the other hotels. It is not strictly in the "old town", but is in a nice neighborhood of restaurants and shops, and is close to the lake. The street is only partially open to cars, most of it is for trams and pedestrians only. I put it second because I think it would be the quietest at night of the non-air-conditioned hotels.

Hotel Adler - I would put the Adler in the middle only because it is probably the noisiest part of the right bank, lots of bars and restaurants, quite a noisy esp. at night in the summer. If the hotel is air-conditioned (which I don't think it is), then this would be OK, as the location is probably the best of all in terms of restaurants and night life. Ask for a room on the highest floor possible, facing the smaller side streets rather than the Neiderdorf itself.

Hotel Alexander ? The location is great, but if they don't have air-conditioning, this could be very noisy, as it is right on the Neiderdorf. It is not far from the Adler. If you can get a room on a high floor or which does not face the Neiderdorf, that would be best.

Hotel Scheuble ? On a fairly busy street with cars (much of the old town is pedestrian only), would put this towards the bottom.

Hotel Bristol ? The Hotel is probably fine, I just think it is not in as charming a part of town as the others. I don't think the hotel is air-conditioned. Its one advantages is that it is the closest to the train station.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for all the information and descriptions! It is so hard to know what is a good choice just based on the hotels, etc websites. Now we can make a more educated decision (I'll keep the a/c factor in mind!).
After I posted this I found a few more also. If you have time to comment on these, that would be wonderful, although you have already written so much!!!

Hotel Hirschen http://www.hirschen-zuerich.ch/
Sorrell Hotel Rutli http://www.rutli.ch/
Hotel Comfort Inn Royal http://www.comfortinn.ch/
Hotel Franziskaner http://www.hotel-franziskaner.ch/cms/index.asp
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
yk

Hi indiepopster-

I have never stayed at Hotel Comfort Inn Royal, but have stayed at the Leoneck hotel right across the street. I can tell you about the location. It is up the hill from the train station, can be a long walk if you have lots of luggage. But you can also take the tram right outside the train station and the tram station is right in front of the hotel. Walking down the hill is a breeze, and if you walk fast, about 5 mins to the train station. It is quiet except for the screeching sound of the tram on the tracks... but I believe the trams stop running at late night. I stayed at Leoneck for 3 nights and was never woken up by the screeching sound.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

After reviewing all the hotels I have listed, I feel I'm leaning towards the Hirschen. It seems to have some charm from the pictures on their site, and the site mentions it was completely renovated in 2002. Any comments?
I promise to stop replying to myself now!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:26 AM

Don?t know these hotels, but of the four the Hirschen and the Franziskaner would be in the best location, on pedestrian only streets in the heart oaf the old town. The other two are on busier streets a few blocks out of the main parts of the old town, esp the Comfort Inn which is on a road with cars and a tram line. The Franziskaner looks little more upscale, and seems to be associated with the Alstadt hotel, which is a very nice 4 star hotel in the old town. I think either of those 2 would be fine. I would be curious to hear your report when you return.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Hi, just another alternative if you look for an air conditioned Hotel, newly renovated:
Hotel "Krone Unterstrass"
Have a look to their Web site.
It is 4 tram stops from main station - this means easy access to the whole city (and back until half an hour past midnight).