Search

Before Sunset

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Before Sunset

Francophile3, started a thread on this film but couldn't locate it. I saw it this afternoon and I liked it better than the first one, nine years ago, called Before Sunrise. But I'll rent it to see it again.
Paris is photographed lovingly and you don't see the usual haunts except a few in the distance. You'll get a good look inside Shakespeare & Co. July Delpry has a very good voice singing voice. (my next CD)
If you love Rohmer's films, you'll like this one. I watched them on Charlie Rose's Tv show one evening and they said that they made up some of the dialog as they went along. My thanks to francophile3's thread where noone gave away the ending.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Before Sunrise, while slow at times, I loved the atmosphere, and the "stream of conciousness" type quality about it. I like how Julie Delpy's character says something like we all are constantly trying to make connections, and we usually fail, but she says that the purpose of life must be in the attempt (don't quote me literally).

I didn't know there was a sequel though. This may be my next movie to see. Is it out in limited release?

Thanks for sharing!!!
Patricia
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM
yk

Here is the thread you're referring to:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34508032

I haven't seen it yet, as a matter of fact, I'm still trying to rent Before Sunrise. Unfortunately, most Blockbusters closeby don't carry it!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:18 PM

yk - If I can get my copy back by Thursday, I'll have my "Before Sunrise" DVD hand-carried to you...
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM

cigale, I am glad to hear that your first day out was enjoyed~
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Why thank you, Scarlett, Thursday will be two films at the French film festival, making up for lost time.
I'll report back on them.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Here's a mini review I wrote for another forum. No spoilers (at least not in my own post), so feel safe to read it before watching the movie.

http://soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb...?topicID=33030
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Ray, I loved your review AND i AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THE FILM.!( sorry, sticky keys)
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Thanks for renewing this topic, cigalechanta. I am still trying to find the time to see the movie! I saw Before Sunrise a month ago on the local cable channel. It is soo good. The best thing about it (besides the scenery) is the natural dialogue. They say what we all would say and feel.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:42 AM

I saw this movie yesterday. There were about 8 people in the whole theater-it was definitely not a door buster. My friend and I agreed that we had never seen such a mindless, inconsequential movie. A couple of people with obvious "issues" talking (stream of conciousness) nonstop for over 1 hour. Absolutely nothing else happened. Boring. I guess the guy missed his plane.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Margo's posting only goes to show the old adage "There's no accounting for taste". I *loved* this movie and the theater in which we saw it was virtually sold out for a 2:30 pm show on Monday, July 5th--granted it was a holiday. What makes it a relevant topic on this board is the wonderful feeling of being in Paris that one gets while watching these 2 *older* young people hash out the issues of life and love.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Everyone's entitled to a personal opinion. However, I think if you didn't like this particular movie you just don't understand what it's all about. It helps to have seen the first installment, Before Sunrise, also. Otherwise, you won't appreciate it as much also.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Good point, francophile--but even though I had *not* seen the 1st installment, I thought that between the visual flashbacks and their conversation that the movie stood alone very well. Also, now I can look forward to seeing the earlier film!!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM

It's okay for anybody to post his/her opinion about a movie, but Margo's post includes a major spoiler. THAT IS NOT COOL for people who haven't watched it.

As for box-office numbers, when I watched it in Houston last Saturday afternoon, there were also only about 20 people in the theater. But that doens't stop it to gross about $9,000 per screen over the weekend, the same as Spiderman 2 or Anchorman, and better than almost all other movies.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM

This is an independent film that is shown in selected theaters only. It's not like a typical blockbuster type of movie like Spiderman 2 that's shown everywhere so it's not going to draw alot of people. Besides, it may not appeal to everyone. It has been doing well enough financially though.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Most americans like action films and are not used to dialog, that's why, I cautioned if you love Rohmer's films(I own several) You'll love this one.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I just saw it over the weekend while in Chicago, and there were not more than 15 others in the theatre with me. I was not particularly impressed with the movie and felt very unsatisfied where (and how) it ended. I'm not the only one -- there was a collective and audible "what?" uttered by those in the theatre when the credits started rolling.

I never saw the earlier movie, and maybe I would have liked it more if I had seen it, but I would not recommend this movie to any of my friends. The only part I liked was seeing some of Paris. (Also, I don't think the movie lasted any longer than about 1 hr. 15 minutes or so.)

Susan
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Last night DH said, "Honey, why don't you go get out by yourself for awhile and see a movie." Yippee! I was all excited about seeing Before Sunset as I'd loved Before Sunrise. Not playing in my city. Well then, since I was so in the mood for it, I decided I'd just rent the original. I tried just about every movie rental place in town and NOBODY HAD IT. I may have to buy the darn thing online now.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

belleaire. It ended with him not going back. Remember? She says, you're going to miss your flight. He answers, I know.
Fadeout!.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I saw the first movie and I think that it helps lay the foundation for this movie. The best way for me to describe it is "a slice of life." I really enjoyed it but I thought that Delpy and Hawke had great chemistry in the first one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -