Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I Didn't Think I Could Do Carry-On for a Week in Paris, But I Can!

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
dln

This New Year is getting off to an excellent start!

Fellow Fodorite Marcy and I are departing for a ladies' only week in Paris on the 8th. This trip flew together with lightening speed, each of us so excited about a week in Paris (just by coincidence, the week the sales begin, lol) that we neglected to ask the particulars until after the reservations were sealed, signed, and delivered. You know what kind: are you a night owl? are you a morning person? how many blocks can you walk without whining? are you human before you have your morning coffee or after? Miraculously, each of us passed with flying colors and we were very pleased at the thoughts of spending a week in Paris with each other.

UNTIL

Marcy dropped the bombshell that she only does carry-on luggage. SAY WHAT? This is the woman who carried ten pounds of jewelry alone for two weeks in France last fall.

This has been on my mind for several weeks, the "problem" of carry-on luggage. Marcy graciously said that just because she travels that way, I don't have to, that I should not feel pressured to limit myself to a non-checked bag. But I like a challenge and I like to figure out how to do things, and this one I definitely relegated to the challenge category.

Today, New Year's Day 2005, I did it! It only took two hours and two sheets of paper: make a wardrobe list, scratch off a wardrobe list, make another list, pack the potential luggage to see if it fits, and lo and behold, it all worked.

Here's how. First, a week in Paris translates into seven nights, plus two days of airplane time, for a total of NINE days of wardrobe. That means three pairs of pants, each worn three times, six tops each worn only twice or less, and three jackets/vests, each worn three times.

This is what I'm packing:

1 pair Chico's black traveller's pants
1 pair Chico's navy traveller's pants
1 pair Gap brown twill flare pants

1 Chico's long sleeve black traveller's tee
1 Chico's long sleeve navy traveller's tee
1 chenille cream chenille long sleeve top
1 3/4 sleeve sage green chenille top
1 Chico's rust traveller's tank top
1 Chico's turquoise traveller's tank top

1 Chico's tunic length black traveller's jacket
1 Chico's tunic length black/brown print traveller's jacket
1 rust quilted vest

1 pair flannel jammies, completely sexless so as to answer the door for breakfast with due modesty

Cuddleduds thermal underwear, which is what will make the traveller's pants warm enough to wear in Paris in January

Assortment of scarves to reduce wardrobe boredom

Undies for half a week; will wash in sink every other night.

So there you have it! I know I'm heavy on the Chico's clothing, but what can I say? My parents live near the outlet in Fort Meyers Beach, Florida, and I stocked up at bargain prices this past summer. I may as well wear it now that I've bought it. Plus, it looks good and needs no ironing, a win/win state of wardrobe affairs. I will be able to meet American Airlines requirements for carry-on luggage. I plan to carry a Messenger Bag as my handbag, lots of room for toiletries and guide books. And because the clothing folds up so compactly, I am able to bring three pairs of shoes, one pair ankle boots which I will wear coming and going, one pair flats, one pair heels.

I am so excited about this week in Paris I can't stand it!

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a blast! (And you can always buy another suitcase to bring home all your bargains!)
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

Hooray, D !
I knew you could do it!

Now we'll have lots of room on the way back for any little goodies we might happen to find at the sales while we're there!

Can't wait!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:09 PM

dln, our local news in Ft.Myers/Naples gives the local stock report. Chico's stock seems to keep going up. Thanks for your generous effort in boosting our local economy!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM

have a wonderful trip.

I'm leaving myself on the 13th, after an absence of 4 years which is as long between visits as it has ever been since I started going eons ago, so I'm beside myself with anticipation. Do report back.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
amelia

Marcy and Deirdre--FYI, husband cut out article today on handbag exhibit (Le Cas du Sac-the Case of the Handbag) at Musee de la Mode and du Textile, there until February 20. Daughter is salivating--gets "education" before search for ultimate Paris handbag. Hermes, of course, is a sponsor.

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:34 PM
dln

Heh heh, Patrick, both my husband and I AND my parents are Chico's stockholders. Chico's has paid for this Paris trip in more ways than one!

Amelia, when my husband and I were in Paris last October, we visited the Museum of Mode and Textile. We saw the jewelry exhibit: sparkly and wonderful! On the way out we picked up a postcard for the upcoming exhibit which is about the handbags, as you've pointed out. I never in a million years thought I'd be able to see it! Both Marcy and I love good handbags so perhaps we'll be able to fit this one in. BTW, when I wrote my Paris trip report I said I'd even sell things on EBay to get back to Paris. As it turned out, there was no need because I took a Christmas job at one of our department stores, Parisian. Guess what I did? Sell high end handbags! Too funny.

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM

I would just like to say that I am SO impressed, I am awed by your determination to get that bag packed and carry it on and that there is NO way that I will be able to do it too
I will try to copy the 3 pairs of pants, etc, but I just know the shoes are gonna bring me to a grinding halt, I will need flats, boots, heels, most comfortable, most good-lookin! ack!
We will be there at the beginning of March, I think it will still be cold, as the last time I was there in March ( the end) it was windy and sunny but cold!
What kind of coat will you wear on the plane? Heavy? What if it rains? (I am bringing a thin lightweight shearling that is reversible if it rains).
You can surely fit 7 pairs of undies in that bag? I have packed undies in a ziplock then stuffed it inside my boots.
Isn't this exciting!!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:54 PM

I managed a roll aboard when we went last month for five days. And I even had two dresses! By the way, underwear takes up very little room. I travel with a friend who has to wash hers several times during a week long trip. Makes me nuts! It can be rolled up and tucked in shoes.

Have a great time! Wish I were going again!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM

This is great! You didn't mention your tactics though for packing all of the "beautiful things"- cosmetics, toiletries, flat irons or hairdryers. ARe you using one of thoes mesh bags for toiltetries or zip lock bags?
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM

Scarlett
we should start a support group for overpackers.
I'm only going for 5 days and don't see how I will get by with only a carry on, assuming the bag would even meet the weight requirement.

I don't get bogged down with shoes so much (though I wear one pair and usually pack two others), but just stuff.
It's the 'what if?' syndrome that unreasonably drives my packing: What if I spill my airplane dinner all over my sweater? What if that happens to my other sweater on my first night in Paris? Etc

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What fun! I love good packing advice. But may I ask... What kind of coat are you taking? I know all the Chico travel knits are fairly light-weight, and isn't it cold in Paris in January? Also go ahead & throw in 3 more pair of undies, they don't take up much room and washing in the sink is a pain (which I save for 2-3 week trips only!).

Bon voyage to you and your travel pal.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM
dln

I have to share with you all an e-mail I got from my mother, the Queen of Packing Light. She and my father regularly go to Italy for weeks, even months, and never check their baggage. My mother could hardly believe the "challenge" I was presented with by Marcy, as is evidenced by her no-nonsense reply to me about packing for this trip:

"Deirdre, I think you will be doing fine and can fit it all in one suitcase. Just remember, you will never see the same place twice or the same person twice, so why worry about clothing? Bored with your lack of style?... get over it. Let Paris impress you and not the other way around. Accept that fact and you will have a marvelous time."

You go, Mama!

Now to all the questions. I'm wearing a car-length black quilted coat. The shell is a man-made fiber and it will keep me quite warm even with those Chico's "slinky" fabrics. It's pretty slim fitting as well and looks good with pants, so I'm leaving my wool coat behind. This one I can ice skate with at the Eiffel Tower and still look stylish enough for the Opera Garnier (we're going to a performance there of the Merce Cunningham Dance Troupe).

I plan on wearing Cuddleduds under everything! They're so thin so they add no bulk whatsoever to my clothing, and they're what will make the Chico's warm. I bought the product line that is called "Climate Smart" which features CoolMax ATLA fabric from Dupont (I'm reading this from the box). It maintains a comfortable body temperature no matter where you go. I figure that would be my best bet since we'll be walking windy boulevards and then stepping into overheated department stores (yes, I know the French really like to turn the thermostat up).

As for the toiletries and other items, Marcy is bringing the hairdryer. Lucky me! American Airlines allows one carry-on and one personal item. For the latter, I'm taking the duffel that came with my suitcase set. I'll put my toiletries, journal, magazine, and jewelry in that. And my small Messenger Bag, which will double as my handbag.

I'm so glad all of you are taking an interest in this post. I am the antithesis of my mother. I'm the one who takes ten pounds of jewelry alone on trips! That's why I was so thrilled with this accomplishment. I honestly never thought I could do it.

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:16 PM

This is a trip report I'm eager to read. Have a fabuluous time (I know you will)...
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM

I was wondering the same thing..it can be very windy and cold on some of those streets, by the Seine, waiting for a taxi....
Aren't sweaters too bulky? Mine are fluffy and grow when they are put in a suitcase. (Some kind of strange reaction to flying)
Then there is the cosmetics, hair products, brushes...I am overwhelmed at the thought and I am not even going to try LOL
elaine, My name is Scarlett and I am an OverPacker
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM

Sorry, FABULOUS time...
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM

dln, I am truly impressed! I just spent a few days in SF and had my large carryon bag stuffed! But than again I had a robe packed. PJ's (love your description) sure makes more sense. Never thought of that.

Do you mind telling me what your carryon bag is like? Thanks, and again, I am really impressed! Good for you. And you two have a wonderful trip. Fantastic way to start 2005.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
But I don't see ANY sweaters or warm clothing items on the pack list. That's my question. I love the list and packing light is the greatest (in theory), my worry is that it sounds like clothing for spring or fall not the middle of winter. I guess you can always buy a nice big ole sweater or new coat in Paris, if need be!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM

I was assuming she'll be wearing the warm jacket and sweater on the plane.
??
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

dln - Here are a few more suggestions for paring down (so that you have room to shop).

1) Ditch the flannel jammies for the thinnest cotton you can find. If it's cold, climb into bed, or wrap yourself up in ...

2) a lightweight pashmina/cashmere shawl. I bought 2 last year, one black and one blue, at Tie Rack. They pack down to nothing. I always carry one on the plane - perfect for dealing with airplane chill. I also add it as a scarf over a lightweight coat if I'm cold. Also doubles as a lightweight throw when you're napping. And in hot climates, it covers your shoulders in the evening.

3) Photocopy (doublesided, 2-to-a-page) the key sections in your guidebook (unless it's tiny), and then leave it at home. There are lots of sections you won't need once you get there (eg 100 pages of hotel listings), etc.

4) I bet you could leave one of those 6 tops or 3 jackets at home. Really, no one is going to see you more than once except your friend and the hotel staff. I often wear tops 3 times on a trip. You could even get something cleaned while you're there.

5) Don't forget to pack a tiny collapsible umbrella and a pair of gloves (e.g. polarfleece). If the weather turns unpleasant, these will keep you warm.

6) And pack a few plastic grocery bags to transport your shoes home in your suitcase. There's a good chance you'll step in dog poo in Paris - best to travel prepared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -