Italian speakers please help!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian speakers please help!

How do you pronounce "bruschetta"? Is it brewsketta or brewshetta?

I took an Italian class and thought it should be a hard ch like in Brunelleschi, chiuso and chiavo(a k sound), but everyone in restaurants says brewshetta, like a soft sh sound. Which should it be?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Hi Barb in Ga,
I am glad you asked this question because as a speaker of Italian it drives me nuts how almost everyone in the US (including almost everyone who works at Italian restaurants) mispronounces that word. You are SO RIGHT that the CH in Italian is pronounced as a K and it is ALWAYS that way. This is the beauty of Italian. Once ou know the rules of pronounciation, you know how to pronounce ANY Italian word that you look at, even if you've never heard it spoken before.

The answer is definitely BREWSKETTA. I very much relate to the fact that you're always hearing it pronounced with that SHETTA sound here in the US. American simply are not getting it right.

Believe me once you get to Italy you won't be plauged with hearing that dreaded SHETTA anymore!!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM

You are right of course: brou-sket'-ta.

Here in Canada we have a lovely Bush appointee, a former New Eng Governor (Mass??), as US Ambassador.

His name is Cellucci and he calls himself Sel-loo-chi.

I'm like "Huh?" -- Half anglo-pronunciation (Sel instead of Chel) and half Italian (looch-chi for the written -lucci)

I persist in referring to him, when refer I must, as Mr. Chel-looch-chi.

Or Mr. Sel-loo-see
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Hi Barb, as the other posters have said "you are right and they are wrong". Isn't that a great feeling? LOL.

Tedgage, I have always cringed over how ethnic Italians let their names be pronounced incorrectly. Several have said to me over the years that they finally gave up. They got so tired of correcting people and then hearing "oh I can't pronounce THAT". So their proud family name becomes butchered.

In my family there were some hard to pronounce European surnames but thank goodness everyone was persistent enough to correct, correct, correct until finally everyone pronounced their names correctly.

It is the only polite thing to do, to ask if you don't know the pronounciation and then use it IMHO.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Barb: I can count on one finger of one hand the times I've heard that word pronounced correctly in American restaurants. HOWEVER, I was in London several months ago, and they misprounced it there just like here-so it appears to be a world-wide problem!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:25 AM

LoveItaly gets my congratulations. In this household, alas, we have stopped struggling.

My partner bears the proud Scottish name of Beattie.

The French read Beattie and say "Betty". So, when in France, he now capitulates and introduces himself as Monsieur Betty.

And they say: "Oh, like Wo-rhen Betty!"
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:37 AM

tedgale, thanks but it was due to stubborn grandparents. And thank God for them. The joke on me was I had a very easy to pronounce Scottish maiden name. But also a lot of Portgugese in the area I grew up in had the same last name. Whether it had been modified when they came here or not I have no idea. But I use to get hounded constantly by all the Portgugese as to why I wouldn't "admit" I was Portgugese. They would not believe my name was not only Scot but a clan. I even a few times brought a few home to dinner just to prove to them I was telling the truth. Funny now, but not then. Plus I had very very thick dark course wavy hair. Didn't help my cause any, believe me.

I can understand your partner just "giving up" in France. Sometimes it is not worth the time and trouble.
Ah life, just full of small joys and frustrations.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:14 AM

LoveItaly, what's your maiden name? (if you wrote it, I've lost it)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM
ira

OK,

So how does one pronounce "proscciuto"?

(Is it spelled prosciuto?)

Is bischotti Bis KA tee or Bis KO tee?

Is Medici M' dee chee or Med i chee?

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:21 AM
ira

The PO in Positano is pronounced as in Edgar Allen Poe by the people who live there.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:21 AM

1) pro she u2 (stress u)
2) Bis KO tee (strong stress on KO)
3) Med i chee (equally stressed)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Yes, bruschetta is almost always mispronounced in the UK - very annoying. What I find even more annoying is "a panini", but that battle seems to be lost too.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:47 AM

I can only think of a way to pronounce panini (pa_knee_knee). What's the mispronunciation for it?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:53 AM
ira

One paninO

2 panini
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM
cmt

Anyone who spent even a few minutes carefully studying the basics of Italian pronunciation knows that the "che" in bruschetta is pronounced with the hard "c" sound, like "ke" not "she". I actually think it's nice, and a credit to some people's diligent concentration, interest, and memory, that many people who had no reason to pick up more than just a small bit of "travel Italian" learned this "c" rule very well and DO know how to pronounce bruschetta correctly and find it jarring when it is mispronounced by waiters. This comment has come up so many times on other forums, too. (If I can find a particulrly long thread about it I'll post the link.)

What I think is 100s of times worse than the mispronunciation of "bruschetta," though, is people who make a living by marketing Italian foods who nevertheless mangle certain words by saying or even writing "cannoli" or "panini" as if they were singular nouns, and then, EVEN WORSE, by adding an "s" after these plural words to form what they believe is a plural, like "cannolis, paninis"--EEK!. (Even funnier is adding an "s" after spaghetti or ravioli.) You can buy ONE panino or ONE cannolo, or you can buy two or more panini or two or more cannoli. It's understandable that consumers who aren't familiar with Italian and who see the word only in shops and bakeries and delis may pick up this mistake, but there's no excuse when people who hold themselves out as experts at making and selling "authentic" Italian food items for a profit spread such misinformation by using the words totally incorrectly.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:18 AM

oh te- da-ga-le: (in italian; teh-dah-gah-leh), even if the name of the ambassador is not the academically correct italian pronounciation and it just drives you nuts, the really polite thing to do is to use the pronounciation the owner of the name uses, for whatever reason. Just a subtle social grace, if you should ever meet him at some diplomatic event. I know Canadiens are known for their politeness.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:41 AM

cmt, yes "paninis" is even worse ! And yet worse again is the addition of a grocer's apostrophe - "panini's" !!! (I have seen this.)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:47 AM
cmt

Lobo Mau: A correction on your version of prosciutto (Ira note spelling with double "t") is that it has three syllables and the "i" isn't a separate syllable. Approx. sound of the word, spelled phonetically in English, is:
proSHOOtto
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:51 AM
cmt

A gigantic thread that started out with bemoaning the mispronunciation of bruschetta: http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/messages?msg=2692.1
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:55 AM
cmt

This thread is interesting and funny, too, and people who like this sort of topic might enjoy it: http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/messages?msg=1787.1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -