Search

Venice--Early morning flight out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM
jkb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice--Early morning flight out

Most flights out of Venice to Chicago leave early in the morning, 6:15 to 7:20 am. How do you get to the airport by 4:30 to 5:30 am from your hotel in Venice? I don't think the water bus, water taxi. etc. run as early as 4:00. Help please!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM

We had the same problem and are planning to spend our last night in Maestre, a short train ride from Venice. The Plaza Hotel is right across the street from the train station and it is no more than 30 minutes by car to the airport. Also, the hotel is less expensive so you don't feel you are spending Venice prices to have a hotel room you will only be in until about 3:30 am. We are planning on staying in Venice through dinner the last night and then going to Maestre.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM

You don't have to stay in Mestre. You can stay near Piazzale Roma and take a land cab or bus, or you can take a water taxi... there are a few options, but it depends where in the city you end up staying.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi jk,

Your hotel can arrange for a water taxi - about 90E

The first Alilaguna leaves San Marco about 4:20.
See http://www.alilaguna.it/

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:57 AM

We went the water taxi route and felt the extra cost was well worth it. The taxi picked us up near our apartment and we were at the airport in about 30 minutes.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I'm in the same "boat" as you, since my flight out of Venice this coming June leaves at 6:50am. I am staying at a hotel which is about 7 bridges (short walk) from St. Marks square, which is also about a 30-45 minute boat ride to the airport.

I posted your same concerns to my hotel by email and these are the options they gave me:

Thank you for your email,well of course thats not a big problem coz you can take a taxi from the hotel to the airport,it takes around 30 to 45 minutes to travel,and it will cost you around 85 Euro,or else you can take also the public boat which is the Alilaguna (10 Euro per person)it leaves at the arsenal stop which is near to the hotel,at 4:41am and you arrive at the airport at 5:45am.

I then expressed concerns of my luggage fitting on board the public boat and my worry about having to get up so early. This was their reply to that:

the Shuttle Boat AliLaguna is large enough to carry all passengers’ luggage; of course a Taxi boat is more comfortable … of course also more expensive, but you can sleep half an hour more … also, note that Arsenale pier from where the Shuttle Boat departs to the Airport is two bridges away … but you can make the decision once in Venice, don’t need to decide now …

Even though I hate to spend that many more euros, I think the convenience of the water taxi pulling right up to our hotel door and not having to haul luggage over bridges, might be worth it. Not to mention the extra 30 minutes sleep we will save. We are not use to getting up this early in the morning, so either way it goes it will be hell to deal with! The positives far out weigh the negatives on this trip, so I will "cross that bridge" when I come to it.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:38 AM

I have done the early flight two or three times and had no issue taking the water bus but you do have to get up early. I always ended up with plenty of time to kill in the Venice airport.