Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Meurice vs: Plaza Athenee, Bristol, Crillon, Raphael, Ritz, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just reserved a room at the Meurice for a few nights -- I'm looking for a very luxurious, but very romantic hotel in Paris -- a real Parisian experience, with a god location to boot. I'm wondering whether anyone may feel that I'd be better off in another hotel. I have not been to any of these ultra-luxe hotels, but have formulated some opinions based on the many comments I've read an received on the hotels:

Meurice/Crillon: very central -- to touristy, though? Not Parisian? Full of foreigners?
Plaza Athenee: More "neighborhoody", but somewhat out of the way. May be harder to get a cab at night, and will have to travel farther for dinner, entertainment, etc.
Raphael: Even farther off the beaten path

Decor (this is very important to me):
Ritz, George V - Dry & boring -- you could be in a hotel in the US -- Ritz is, indeed Parisian (the Vendome location is unforgettable), but it has a certain coldness
Meurice: Seemingly the most over the top in decor -- really went nuts with the velvet, marble, glass, etc -- Louis XV times 10!
Crillon: Also quite elaborate -- the outside is (literally) a Palace, but inside it's not quite as elaborate (and borderline ostentatious) as the Meurice
Bristol: Classic and classy -- great in warmer weather (gardens, etc), but not quite as classically flashy as the Meurice -- a bit Dry
Plaza Athenee: Same as the Bristol, for the most part. Rooms might be a little more dramatic
Raphael: Decor seems great, although, the lobby, and hotel seem a bit too simple (not much going on other than nice rooms?). Bathrooms and bedrooms seem to have great decor, but again, the place seems a little out of the way, and little "boring?"

Restaurants:
Bristol and Plaza Athenee have fantastic restaurants inside -- George V, too. Meurice is good, as well, but not quite as "fine."

Well, I'll stop rambling, but let me finish with this -- price doesn't matter. We're looking to stay in a place where we truly feel like we're in Paris -- pampered in Foreign (Louis XV?) luxury -- not something we can find in a nice hotel in the US -- I stay in those all the time. We also don't want to stay in a place that is HUGE -- don't want to feel like we're on a cruise ship. The Ritz loses points because of this -- the George V -- they don't have the character & personality that the Meurice seems to have.

Given that it's early March (high temps around 40), we're looking to have Parisian experience (I know -- everyone is), want to go to the best restaurants, and experience hip nightlife (we're in our late 20's, from NYC -- the Costes doesn't seem like a nice enough hotel -- not Parisian, anyway -- we have hipper-than-thou places in NYC, too)...

Where would you stay?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM

I've not stayed in any of thses hotels but I have peedked into them while walking. The Meurice would be my choice of the ones you listed for the same reasons. It is across from the Louvre and yes there are tourists there but this is a good location fror sightseeing and shopping. We were ther in October and stopped at Angelina's for lunch. We noticed some very expensive cars parked in front of the Meurice. One was a Maybach.I'm told that a sultan owns the Meurice. Another nice hotel in the same area is the Regina. We hve freinds who love the hotel Jolly Lotti. I went to the Ritz once for drinks and they were very snooty. I don't think I'd want to stay there. you get the feeeling that security cameras are watching your every move.

Go have hot chocolate at Angelina's its right next door to the Meurice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM

Well I do wish I had that "problem"! I was at "Le Bristol" twice, as we said in French "aux frais de la princesse", it is my favorite hotel, very old money, not flashy, great personal service and the largest bathroom I have ever seen in Paris. But when I have to pay I much perfer the nicest room in a three star than a regular room in a palace. That way I can stay longer and enjoy "la vie parisienne". Bon voyage.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM

With the very GREATEST of respect I say this to you: if you (the tourist) are in the Meurice and find it to be not "Parisien enough" or "too touristy" please CALL me and I will GLADLY hop on the next flight over and relieve you of that sad duty of having to stay there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM

Oh, yeah..you can call collect, too, if you'd like <G>
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I don't mean to brush anyone the wrong way -- I don't want to seem to snooty -- in fact, that's a bit of what turns me off about the Ritz and Costes (from what I read). I want the best, but I don't want it to be TOO stiff.

As for it being touristy, I realize these are very nice places -- I have little "right" to complain. Still, I'm in search of the best, truly. And in my case, the price isn't an issue. As such, I need to compare and contrast "the best" with each other. I know none of them is a flea-bag motel, but there has to be some way to "rank" them -- surly people have their opinions on one vs. the other -- that's all I'm after. Simply hearing that one is "great" and the other is "great," too doesn't really help me differentiate between the two. And, admittedly, when you're shelling out this kind of coin for a place to stay, I want to make use I do my homework and find the RIGHT place.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

We stayed in the Crillon in 2000. Luxurious hotel. I believe that it is owned by members of the Saudi Royal Family. At any rate, someone from the Saudi Royal Family was there during our stay. There were guards posted in various places, preventing us from walking directly from our room to the 2nd floor breakfast room; we were required to take the elevator.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:13 PM

We are leaving Wednesday for 4 nights at the Meurice. We have stayed at the George V and the Ritz of the ones you mentioned. I did not like the Ritz as they were very snooty there and I did not like having to show my ID every time we entered the hotel!!
We loved the George V...I have only positive things to say about our experience there and it is one of the best hotel experiences we have had. But, we wanted to try one of the other 5 star hotels and are looking forward to staying in the Meurice next week. When I return I will post and give my opinion.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Well I disagree with most of the opinions you've formulated. I don't like the location of Rue de Rivoli. It's like Lexington Ave. in the 40s-50s. I find it too touristy and I find the Meurice much too snooty. Right behind it is the Plaza Paris Vendome. Better option IMO for you.

The Crillon is absolutely like a palace (because it is) and to say it's borderline ostentatious is like saying Versailles was ostentatious. It was. It provoked the Revolution, remember?

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM

You might also consider the Lancaster, which haslovely rooms and a very Parisian feel overall. If you can spring for one of the suites you would have absolutely nothing to complain about.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM

I have stayed at the Meurice and I really loved it and I do like that area too.

I have to say though, you are going to find tourists at a hotel, do you mean non-classy tourists?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie, do you think the Crillon is better than the Meurice? This is all based on pictures I've seen (haven't been there yet), but, from the outside, the Crillon looks awesomely imposing -- a true Palace. From the inside, the Meurice seems to look a little better. From my standpoint, if I'm correct in my interpretations, the Meurice may be slightly better in that it doesn't strike you as so awesomely huge and, thereby, impersonal, while still retaining its luxurious elegance. Thoughts?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

In response to SeaUrchin:

I'm going to find tourists in ALL of these hotels, right? I guess I'd prefer to stay in a not SUPER touristy area. I'm from New York -- I can't stand Times Square (no New Yorkers can) -- I would never advise someone to stay there -- you'll never see a "New Yorker" there. The boutiques are a little better -- even places like the Plaza, or the W (Four Seasons isn't that nice).

Anyhow, the analogy I'm drawing is that the AREA around Times Square is, well, dreadful. I think the area around the Meurice may not be the best, either (at least the park is right there). However, it may be a great CENTRAL place to go from -- to have lunch in St. Germain -- wander up to Montmarte -- go shopping over by the Plaza Athenee....

Is it the "least of al evils?" Again, I know it's relative, but if I stay out by the Plaza, Bristol, or Raphael, I feel like I'm in a not-so central location (though there are great restaurants around there, right? The Ritz and the George are stuffy, impersonal, and imposing, but not as lusciously opulent (based on my limited knowledge). As for the Crillon, seems great on the outside, but not sure it's quite as nice as the Meurice on the inside.

Keep the thoughts coming -- I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM

Well, there's one thing "fer sure"... Fodor's Europe board is truly diversified!

A client who has more money than...well, lots of people, ALWAYS stays at the Plaza Athenee. It is where his family has always stayed tho...they know the name so the service is "loverly"
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM

I think Odonnela is a troll.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:14 PM

On "Sunday Morning" the CBS news show 2 weeks ago they did a thing on the upcoming presidential visit and showed a wonderful looking hotel that they would be staying in. Unfortunately I can't recall the name. Anybody?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM

In terms of location and access to transportation, restaurants etc, the Meurice ranks first and Crillon second. Athenee and Geo V are in posh, rather sterile areas that appeal only if you are shopping for high fashion. Meurice has my favorite bar and Geo V is beyond a doubt the best in terms of personal service (they will know your name after the first day), flower displays etc (it is Arab owned). The French do not stay at any of these hotels so forget a "real Parisian experience". JP
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, oakglen -- your comments are very helpful! You're right -- I'm probably not going to find to many of the French staying in any of these places!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM

My husband stayed at the Meurice on a bus. trip over 30 years ago and has never gotten over it. On the other hand, a friend with very wealthy Parisian relatives likes the Plaza Athenee for her stays for family weddings, etc. (She's poor by their standards but justifies the splurge so she won't feel like Cinderella at the ball -
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM

odonnela -- you are right, "surly people have their opinions..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -