Did anybody just watch "ER", 5/12/05?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm... John Carter (Noah Wyle) & Kem (Thandie Newton) had breakfast at "Le Pure Cafe" in Paris. Wonder if 1) the producer watched "Before Sunset" and loved it? 2) Pure coincidence? 3) Lack of originality?
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Nope, but I'm planning to watch it here on the left coast at 10 pm if jet lag permits. Returned from Italy about 72 hours ago, and find that my eyes want to slam shut as soon as it's dark. Thanks for the heads up1
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Betsy, I'm very eager to hear about your trip. I hope the group and the convents worked out well.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Hi rkkwan,

I just watched it... what I want to know is what flight Carter took that got him there so fast, ha.

Sign me up for his route, k.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM

It was great seeing Paris. Wish I were really there. I was leaving about this time last year.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Tiff - The time is correct. This episode covers like 3 days total, or something like that. You see they put on the screen "Sunday morning", etc...

What does not make sense is John Carter was planning to take a flight back home at 9pm. I don't think there is any night time flight from Europe back to the US, which would have arrive at ORD around 11pm.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Just watching it increased the "go bug" for me. I will be sad to see him leave the show. He has been my favorite character for years.

I never knew you could actually get three people in a Smart Car. It made me think of the clown car in the circus.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM

I like how they boarded the Metro at "Nation" and then crossed over the Seine with the Eiffel to their left! (Bir Hakeim bridge)...didn't show them corresponding anywhere....
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:52 AM

LOL travelnut. Details, details!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:55 AM

What train (metro) would you have to take to see the eiffel tower the way they did? Where to get on? and What direction?

Great episode...Love Carter and Thandie Newton is beautiful...Loved the Paris theme.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM
MaureenB

I saw the episode and was wondering if they were actually filming in Paris. Sounds like they were from your comments.
I will miss Carter. He's the best part of the show lately, IMHO.
Since we leave for Paris in a couple of weeks, for our first visit, I loved the scene of the Eiffel Tower.
Remember on TV and film, you need to "suspend disbelief" or the incorrect details will ruin the story for you. Whether or not he could have actually caught a flight out that night was not as important as his desire to get out of town!

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I think they actually were filming in Paris. The cafe scene, the Metro, down to the Sortie signs, it looked way too authentic to be a set. It definitely had that Parisian authenticity to me.

The shot of Carter arriving at his hotel w/ Kim, I think it is the Hotel de Varenne on Rue de Bourgogne. I recognized it since we stayed across the street at Palais du Bourbon. Anyone know for sure? However, it wasn't the Rue de Bourgogne in the later scene where you see him standing with the nighttime view of La Tour Eiffel. I think they edited it, I taped this episode and checked it twice, they do an edit when they show him standing there alone. Hotel de Varenne is just down from Musee Rodin and that's in Les Invalides just like Tour Eiffel, but there's no unobstructed view as shown. I think the view came from the Rue Cler area a few blocks over. What do you think? Which street was it?

Also, what park did they walk through? I'm thinking Jardins des Plantes. I know it wasn't Tuileries or Luxembourg Jardins.

Anyone know?

I found a website w/ a thread about this episode, but so far no one has replied. http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...-204656/page-3
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:07 AM

They crossed the Pont Bir Hakeim on Line 6 traveling toward Nation - Pont Bir Hakeim is between stops Passy and Bir Hakeim.
If you board at Nation, like they did, and ride across the river, the tower will be on the RIGHT, not left.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM

They walked through Parc Monceau.

http://www.vanermengem.com/img/paris/kvefr0468s.jpg

I think it is rue St Dominique in the 7th where you can see the tower at the 'end' of the street.

http://www.selfcateringinfrance.com/...ies/4103-1.jpg

Old May 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Thanks! That makes sense, Rue St. Dominique is the opposite end of the block where Hotel de Varenne is located on Bourgogne. One end is the Musee Rodin, the other St. Dominique. So it would just be around the corner and up a few blocks for the Eiffel Tower view.

Off to figure out where Park Monceau is. That's one that isn't in the top two or three of the guide books.

I wonder if it's in the 11th? I kept wanting to take the St. Martin Canal cruise and never have gotten up that way, only to the Marais for Place des Vosges and the delicious falafels!

Ahhhh...Paris. I WISH I were there, again and again.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Parc Monceau is in the upper left quadrant on your maps... around the 8th/17th border - just look for Metro stop: Monceau.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Thanks travelnut. I've been trying to stave off my urge to visit Paris again this summer by visiting nearby DC. It gives me glimpses of Paris, but so very different.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:07 AM

Carter's hotel - it's not Hotel de Varenne. Does anybody know what the hotel is?
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:35 AM

This episode was broadcast in the UK last night, but I won't have a chance to watch it for a day or so. I can't wait, and not just for the glimpses of Paris. I'm so sorry to hear Carter is leaving - he's been like a friend for the best part of 10 years!!

Timescale in film and television really bugs me though. It seems from some of the posts that this will happen here.

I also have a peeve about the timescales in the "da Vinci Code" - quite unrealistic IMHO - but it is such a successful book maybe I misread it; however it is not a book I find I am in a hurry to read again, seeing as it is almost totally based on "The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail" which I read 20 years ago, and was actually better written, despite being exposed recently as a total hoax.