Quiet Hotel on Ile-St.Louis in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me please how quiet the island really is since there is not much car traffic there?

Also any infomation on the following hotels:
Hotel des Deux-Iles,
Hotel de Lutece,
or others on the island that you know is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Fred
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:50 PM

When we stayed at the Lutece, we had a 5th floor room on the street. I heard nothing, but my husband said he heard someone in the street, a bottle breaking or something, then quiet again. My daughter stayed there last year and had a room on the "courtyard"..there was absolutely no sound in that room
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
ita

I think that Ile St. Louis is a noisy busy place to stay. There is only one street with hotels on it. There are tons of tourists, the restaurants are busy and the prices are high. Stay on the left bank and walk over to Ile. St. Louis
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Haven't stayed at the hotels but we did rent an apartment on the island. I thought it was very quiet. We weren't right on the main drag, but were only about 1/2 block off it, if that. Friends of mine honeymooned at Hotel del Lutece and loved it, FWIW.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Ita, can you suggest a quiet hotel (that is one where we can leave the window open at night) on the left bank?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:56 PM
MaureenB

We were at the Ile Saint Louis last week and I am surprised to hear it described as noisy and busy. It was very quiet and we returned to it another night because we liked its quaint atmosphere so much. Granted it's not tourist season yet, but still it seemed like an out-of-the-way place without many tourists.

I liked the looks of the two hotels you mention (dex Deux-Iles and de Lutece) and picked up their brochures for my file. They are side by side, and each lobby looked very, very nice. You probably already have their websites: www.paris-hotel-lutece.com and www.deuxiles-paris-hotel.com.

If you read my trip report, you'll get information about the hotel in the 7th we liked very much, the Hotel la Bourdonnais. The 7th is very upscale and quiet. Also I mention restaurants we liked, one in particular on Ile Saint Louis. (click on my name above and you'll pull up my posts-- look for the trip report)

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM

ita, which hotel did you stay in on the Ille St Louis?
fred, the Hotel Jeu de Paume is also on rue St Louis en Ille, down farther from Notre Dame. While on the street, the hotel is set back some and the rooms are very quiet..
http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns...sso?RecID=9812
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM

I don't think of Ile Saint-Louis as being quieter or noisier than most places in Paris. There is plenty of car traffic on the island. I don't think cars are allowed right down the center street, but plenty of other places.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Cars are allowed on rue St Louis en Ille, we took a cab from a restaurant to St Germain one night around 10:00 pm. We took cabs from our hotel (Lutece) to and from the airport.
But at night, when the shops close, the people/tourists go home or elsewhere, it is quite quiet
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett,
it appears that the Hotel Jeu de Paume is almost Euro100 more per night (for a double) than the other two plus the two reports on Fodor's Hotel site [... unclean rooms and lackluster service. I literally found a used medical needle box under my bed table when I was looking for my glasses. The Jeu De Paume is not sylish nor quaint nor charming...] are not very inviting.

Did the hotel get better recently? Management change?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Fred,
I stayed at the Lutece, my daughter and some friends have stayed at the Lutece. They and we were very happy with the hotel , the location and the staff at the hotel.
I just remember checking out the Jeu de Paume when we were there.
We stay on rue Jacob on the Left bank now.
The Lutece is definitely charming and clean. I think it is air conditioned too.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Thanks for the details.
Where do you stay on rue Jacob?
Fred
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:24 PM

The D'Angleterre
44 rue Jacob

they have a web site,

http://www.angleterre-paris-hotel.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM

<font color="red">http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com</font>

Sorry, this is the right one
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this looks like a very nice hotel and close to the Metro.
I'll look into it a bit more.
Fred
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM

We stayed at the Hotel des Deux Illes last November. We had a room on the second floor (american) on the street side. The beds were hard as rocks and I couldn't sleep. My hips and back were sore and I felt like you-know-what the next day. We were there over a weekend. There is a theme restaurant down the street (has to do with the Army - picnic tables, baskets of sasuages on the tables) and it seems to be party central. There were rowdy &quot;soldiers&quot; partying in the street until late even in November.

I understand this island has the most expensive real estate in Paris and so I believe you pay more for a hotel room. Take the others suggestions and stay somewhere else. You can do better than these hotels.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:37 PM

There is little vehicular traffic on the island and it is pretty quiet even during the day, apart from the voices of tourists in the main street. It's an expensive area and there isn't much to see on the island itself beyond the main street with its small shops and restaurants. If you want quiet it will probably satisfy you but in other respects the location doesn't have any obvious advantages. There is no M&eacute;tro station on this small island so you'll have to cross a bridge to get anywhere.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
ita

We stayed at Hotel Ile Ste Louis. I did not like that hotel at all. I think an apartment on Ile Ste. Louis would be lovely, but I do think that the street the hotels are on is not enticing,it is very touristy. There is a very good crepe restaurant at the end of the street (maybe called Sarrasin?)

Once again I will tout my favorite hotel which is des Grandes Ecoles, but you must book it six months in advance. Ask for a room in the Garden building. I understand that tbe rooms in the main building are not nice. I have stayed there several times but never in the main building.

I see Hotel Monge mentioned often on this site. We stayed there once. The room was small, but immaculate and the breakfast was very good. It is very close to the Seine and the price was cheaper than the Grandes Ecoles, which is also very reasonable. Both were less money than the Hotel Ile St.Louis.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
ita

P.S. I don't know when you are going but I know that des Grandes Ecoles does not have air conditioning. The 3 buildings of the hotel surround a central courtyard so the rooms are quiet. Once we stayed in the building that faces the street. I quite enjoyed the hustle and bustle as the shops opened in the morning. That buiding does not have an elevator. Our beautiful room was on the third floor and it was a chore lugging both our luggage and ourselves up. This hotel has a great deal of charm, more so than Hotel Monge which is very plain. At Hotel Monge our room faced the Arena Lutece and was not noisy.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Any hotel on the Ile Saint-Louis should be very quiet, since there is little vehicular traffic on the island (the main source of noise in Paris), and pedestrian traffic on the main street is limited to afternoon and early evening hours (and it's not very noisy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -