Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - Priceline for a 2* ? Other cheap accomodation options for 4 girls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have succesfully used Priceline for booking a 4* hotel in London in the past. When checking biddingfortravel, I also find that most bids are about 4* hotels. I was wondering if anybody knows if you can save just as much with a 2* hotel or if it's not worth the risk to end up in a dodgy hotel. I'd rather have a hotel room or perhaps an appartment, than ending up in a youth hostel.

Other suggestions greatly appreciated as well. We'll be travelling November 10th-14th.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:17 AM

I wouldn't risk Priceline for a 2* in London. Frankly I wouldn't even go for a 3*. You don't get much for your money in London, so you're better off doing some research and picking something for which you can get very specific information. What is your budget anyway?

One guidebook that provides almost room-by-room reviews for a number of small, inexpensive hotels (as well as a number of the larger ones, too), is "Cheap Sleeps in London" by Sandra Gustafson. There's a chance she has renamed her book in the latest edition "Great Sleeps". In addition to reviews of hotels and B&Bs, she also includes a chapter on alternative accommodation options (e.g. dorms, hostels, private flats, etc). I've used her book before, and highly recommend it.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I'd like to keep it under 20£/pp/night if possible, eventually up to 30£/pp/night. Zone 1 preferably.

I don't think I'll find the Sandra Gustafson book here in Belgium on such short notice, but thanks for the tip.

Anybody has any other online resources of cheap appartments and/or B&B's?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I absolutely agree with Kate_W. PL 4* London hotels are the best value for the money. I wouldn't risk PL for a 3* and I'm not even sure PL has 2*s in London.

Have you looked at the Premier Travel Inn or Travelodge chains?

From their website it appears Travelodge is running a special. Rooms at Kings Cross are 55 GBP a night. That's in your range.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely check laterooms.com. There are often very good bargains for travel w/i 2 weeks of arrival.

Or you can try these 2 places between Paddington and Hyde Park.

Abbey Court Hotel and Westpoint Hotel. Both are in Sussex Gardens and are decent budget places owned by the same folks. They average about £25 per person in their triples/quads. They also rent studio and larger flats next door for about £70-£90 per night which would be w/i your budget. There are similar bargain properties near Earls Court and Victoria.

I would avoid the Kings Cross area if you could get w/i your budget elsewhere.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Citadines Holburn is an apart'hotel. It has some 1 Br flats that sleep 4, and is currently proposing a price of 115 pounds/136 pounds (prices vary depending on the date) plus tax. You'd also get a small kitchen, which would allow you to save some money.

I've had good luck a few times booking rooms through cheaprooms.com and superbreak.co.uk (non-refundable), but these were generally for 4* hotels.

Some of the hotels in the Thistle Chain can be inexpensive and central.

There are also a couple of Hiltons that are in West London (the Kensington and the Olympia) that sometimes have cheap rooms, but you're a bit removed from the centre of things.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM
MaureenB

The Sussex Gardens area between Paddington and Hyde Park is a nice residential neighborhood. We stayed there in June, at the Hyde Park Radnor B&B hotel. I'd recommend it. Our quad room was quite small, but clean and with a new bathroom, with full, hot breakfast included. I think we paid about 180 EU/night for four, but it could be less in November. (website is http://hydeparkradnor.bpweb.net/)
And I second the suggestion that Kings Cross is NOT where you want to stay. Avoid it no matter how cheap. Friends of ours from London made that clear to us when I was looking for lodging.
Try LondonTown for reservations. That's what I used. It lets you narrow down the type of housing and price range and neighborhood. They are very helpful and reliable. http://www.londontown.com/hotels/

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Try scala-house.co.uk
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the Scala House that budzilla mentions would be great if you could stretch your budget a bit. In Nov they charge £130 per night for 3 people w/ £10 extra for the 4th. So you'd be up to £35 per person - but a lot more space than any budget hotel.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did find a quadriple at Hyde Park Hardnor for £105, but if these really are the cheapest options, I did just as well booking a 4* priceline for my parents, they paid $95 all in for 2 persons, so $190 for 2 rooms would be about the same as £105 for a lot more luxury.

I don't really care about space or luxury, but I do like some privacy, a good bed and a clean bathroom, that's it.

I really appreciate all of your help!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM

With Priceline, I have stayed at the 3* Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, and that was fine (equivalent to European 4* quality, at least in my room). I've also used Priceline to stay at the 2* Comfort Inn Vauxhall. That was pretty new at the time, and well above 2* level. But I have read of some not so great 2* hotels. I have also stayed at the 4* Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, which was fine (but the regular room was no better than the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury).

Some 4* bids in Bloomsbury have gone in as low as $55 USD. That might not happen in your case, but it's worth a try.

Personally, I'd feel comfortable bidding for a 3* hotel on Priceline, particularly if the alternative is a hostel or budget hotel.