Returning to Venice

Search

Returning to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to Venice

Returning to Venice after 30 years of absence, I need your help on getting the most out of my / our five days stay.
(i) My understanding is the cheapest option from Marco Polo airport to San Marco is bus to Piazzale Roma and then vaporetto nº1. Am I right?
(ii)Staying near San Marco, we (2 adults and 2 kids) need recommendations for eating places where locals might go and at good value.
(iii) Does anyone have ideas for something special to do in Venice for one of my son's 18th birthday?
(iv) I was wondering if someone know a supermarket around San Marco area?
(v)I know there's a market near the Rialto bridge. Daily? Early in the morning?
(vi) As we are interested on art/history, we'd love to visit bookshops on Venice. Any ideas?
Grazie.
Orta
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM

hi Orta.

I believe it's true the <i>cheapest</i> option from the airport is the land bus and then transfer to a vaparetto which would give you a lovely boat trip down the Grand Canal as a first entrance to Venice. You should consider buying a vaparetto pass. Decide which is best for you depending on how much you think you'll ride.

Taking the Alilaguna (boat bus to/from airport) would be more direct as it wouldn't require transferring and would let you out right at San Marco. It's about 10e/person. Don't know if there's a discount for children. Look on alilaguna.com

The market at the Rialto bridge is daily and starts early. There's a fruit and vegetable &quot;floating&quot; market (ie on boats) near San Barnaba in the Dorsudoro sestieri. (It's shown on the opening chase in the movie &quot;The Italian Job&quot; that was remade a few years ago). I also remember passing several bookshops in Dorsudoro as it's the student area.

San Travaso is a budget restaurant often mentioned here, again, in Dorsoduro, not far from the Accademia Bridge. The pizza place AT the foot of the Accademia bridge (on the museum side in Dorsudoro) is another good place to eat.

Ai Do Mori is near the Rialto Bridge as I recall and is caters to both locals and tourists.

You don't say when you're going, but perhaps a trip to one of the outer islands for a lunch or dinner would be a fun b'day celebration.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Casin dei Nobili just off Campo San Barnaba is also quite inexpensive and frequented by both Venetians and tourists.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to say: we'll be in Venice in about 2 weeks (December 1st).
Thank you.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a good sized grocery store over the Acadamia bridge in the Dosoduro on the promonade facing the Guidecca canal. It's a bit hard to spot the entrance, it fairly near the post office (I found it by discretely following a local woman wheeling an empty shopping basket!)
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM

The bus to Piazzale Roma and then the vaporetto is by far the least expensive method and the ride up the grand Canal on the #1 is glorious. I dislike the Alilaguna because you are trapped inside with windows that are virtually impossible to see through, it takes an hour and a half, much longer than the bus and vaporetto - the #82 is an express and does stop at Valleresso which is just before San Marco and the # 1 is a local and stops m=both a valleresso and also San Zaccaria which is just past the Piazzetta. You also have to get to the water frm the airport which means either walking or dealing with a shuttle bus whereas the land bus is directly outside the arrivals building.
Alla Rivetta, La Zucca, Ca Foscari al Canton, da Silvio, San Trovaso, Pier Dickens Inn, Osteria da Carla, Alla Strega, Vino Vino, Osteria da Alberto,da Sandro, Trattoria San Toma, Arca, Al Pantalon and Trattoria da Alvise are all inexpensive to moderate in price. Remember in all but hte most expensive places, it is very acceptable to have only one or two courses or order &quot;uno per due&quot; - one for two.
There is a market down on Zattere on the Giudecca Canal near the San Basilio vaporetto stop. There is one near the Frari - it is across the canal in front of hte Frari and then down ot the right; there is another market as you walk to the Rialto from Campo San Polo and another in hte back of Camp oSanta margherita. I believe there is also a supermercato on San Lio and still another on thte Strada Nova. There is a huge series of stores called Co-op down near Piazzale Roma. They suposedly have the best prices of all.
There are bookstores all over Venice. Libreria Sansovino in San Marco is one, Libreria Emiliana is another, Studium, Goldoni, Fantoni, San Pantaleon are other names I can recall, but as you walk around you will find many others.
A concert or night at a club? A day trip to one of the islands? A splurge meal? What does he enjoy? Ruth
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:13 PM

my favorite bookstore in venice is Liberia Emilia. It's in Calle Goldoni – but listed on many maps as Calle Carlo Goldoni.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Boleskine, my goodness, I remember you from the other board I used to belong to and since getting DSL and leaving that board I have often thought of you. I just loved your trip reports. It's good to see you again.