Italy - Lucca as Base for Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering using Lucca as a base city for day trips to Cinque Terra, Florence and San Gimignano in ealry July. Appears these locations are within a 90 - 120 minute train / bus ride from Lucca. For those who have traveled in this part of Tuscany, would you recommend Lucca as a good base? Traveling with my two teenage daughters.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:34 PM

I'd rather stay in Florence...and daytrip to Lucca, and the other locations you listed. Florence has a lot more to do and see in between daytrips. Plus, the Florence train station (Santa Maria Novella station) is a major one and has lots of convenient connections and times to your various destinations.
I recall the Lucca station to be quite small with a limited schedule. I admit the last time I was in Lucca was ten years ago, so things could have changed.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM

Excellent idea! I love Lucca - it is one of my favorite cities - I go there every time I am in Italy. Indeed, Lucca is very close to the Cinque Terre, and all parts of Tuscany, with easy train access to each of the cities you've mentioned. I have stayed at various hotels in Lucca; however, I like the charm of "Hotel Diana" on Via dell Molinetto, 11 just inside the ancient city walls, a close walk from across the train station. Aside from its central location to all the main sites in Lucca, the room rates are very reasonable and they are family owned. Here is a link for reference: http://www.eurovacanza.com/schedahot...el/659_lin/eng

If you have a chance to, eat at "Da Leo" trattoria/ristorante. It's a local place known for its Tuscan specialities (Florentine steak, fried zucchini flowers, white bean soup, etc); and the prices are great with ample portions. It is north of the San Michele Church in a quiet block up off the left (you will have to ask someone where it is located).

Have a great time in this lovely city. Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Huitres, great info, but I can't get the link to work.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM

Don't click it, copy-and-paste it into the URL field of your browser - worked for me

WK
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM

Hi Huitres,
You sound like a Lucca expert!
We wanted to stop in Lucca with our 2 teens for lunch with and for a bike ride on the ramparts.
We will definitely try DA LEO. Do you have any tips on where to rent bikes for a good bike ride?
Thanks,
Dina
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:21 PM

Lucca is a charming little city with easy access to the areas you mention. Da Leo is a fine restaurant. Be sure to make reservations as it is very small and very popular.
Be sure to wander Lucca within the walls and in the more modern areas outside the walls where you will get a good glimpse of how Italians live. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dina
There are several places that hire out bicycles in Lucca. One is on the Piazza Santa Maria near the north of the city.

At whatever point you arrive at the city, if you walk along the walls, you are bound to see a bicycle hire place within about 15 minutes.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM

We stayed in Florence and did day trips to Lucca + Pisa and San gimignano and Siena.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM

Further to my post...

NorthShore:
Additional to the hotel link for the Hotel Diana, I found their business card in my files (Albergo Diana, Via del Molinetto, 11, 55100 Lucca, Italia Tel: 011 39 0583 567795 www.albergodiana.com /[email protected]). My double room with bath last year was 67,50 euros a night.

Re: another hotel option for those wanting a more "up-scale" hotel experience, the 3* "Hotel Napoleon" located outside of the city walls (yet within reasonable walking distance of the city centre) is just off the autostrada. I stayed there in 2003 (100 euros a night) and liked it; however since then I have preferred being inside the city walls.

dina4:
I have never rented bikes while in Lucca as I have always had my stroller and/or walked with my young child everywhere. In fact, I have walked the entire city wall ramparts several times - I love it for the terrific city views and glimpses into private gardens, houses, etc. You can easily find bike rentals in Piazza Napoleone (one of the main piazzas) near the carousel, or along the wall ramparts, as the others have mentioned.

Some other ideas on places to eat, things to see in Lucca: Bel & Nannini has the best gelato. You can order the gelato and take it away (cheaper) or pay more for your gelato and sit outside at the tables and people-watch. For a quick bite, try "Pizzeria Pellegrini" in Piazza San Michele (behind the church). It is a small end place with walk-up counter with delicious pizza, calzones, etc.

The precise address for the Trattoria da "Leo" is Via Tegrimi, 1 (Tel 011 39 0583 492 236 - I spent 32,40 euros on a complete 3 course dinner there last year, including beverages and bottled water). Some other terrific restaurants to try are "Ristorante da Francesco" Corte Portici, 13 (Tel 011 39 0583 418 049 - a complete dinner (bread, antipasti, primi, secondi, contorno (side dish), plus bottled water and cover charge came to only 26,50 euros). The "Antica Locanda dell'Angelo" also serves delicious meals on their outside, tranquil courtyard. The lunch was good, albeit a tad pricey at 46,00 euros (cover charge, antipasti, primi dish, and grilled seafood/fish platter). A wonderful little bakery that I stumbled upon this last Sept is just off the Piazza S. Maria Foris Portam (Il Forno Cei & Cianelli). They had the best macaroons, cookies, and treats imaginable. I spent 1,78 euros for a bag of 4 or 5 delicious cookies!

Aside from Lucca's famous churches and towers, the Roman amphitheatre/arena is a neat area to see (there are shops along the former perimeter of the arena now). Also, don't miss the open market in Piazza San Michele and smaller off-shoots in adjoining piazzas. Puccini was from Lucca, you can go see his house and museum, located off via di Poggio and Corte San Lorenzo (very interesting!)

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the detailed info, Huitres! You have been very helpful!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I too think this is an excellent idea. Florence got me down after a day or two due to the unavoidable crowds & traffic; and that was a long time ago & not in July. Lucca is lovely and quite peaceful.