Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st Trip Report ... Christmas Week in London with Family of 4 including 11 and 14 year old boys

Search

1st Trip Report ... Christmas Week in London with Family of 4 including 11 and 14 year old boys

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am going to post the whole report on this thread, but will divide it into parts. I will also post a link to our photos at the end.

This is my first trip report and I hope it is useful for those of you planning trips, especially with teens and tweens. There are many out there who are far wittier than I with much better writing styles so I will not even try to reach the caliber of those of you more expert and talented. Please feel free to ask questions or for additional info.

I have tried to give prices as a guide for planning as that is sometimes difficult to gauge ahead of time – we certainly could have saved some and done a bit less and we certainly could have spent way more. I would say our budget was generous and we did not scrimp, but this was not a luxury trip. London is expensive! It was pricey to keep our family of 4 fed! We used the tube and busses, but only took 1 taxi. We purchased 7 day Oyster cards for the adults and the kids got 7 day children’s passes – We more than got our money’s worth out of these. Price for 7 day adult Oyster was £21.40 and kids were £8.60.

General Background

We took this trip December 24 – January 1. Our group consisted of DH, 2 sons (ages 11 aka “D” and 14 aka “J”), and me. The ages and interests of the kids along with the weather and time of year (Christmas week) influenced many of our choices and activities. We had a great time and did many of the “typical” tourist things along with some stuff that was a little less common.

Would I recommend this time of year?

Well, yes and no. It was a particularly cold week so even with silkweight long underwear, layers, hats, gloves and scarves, it was quite chilly at times. This wasn’t a huge problem, but we did use the tube more than we might have and walked a bit less. For example, after visiting the Tower of London, we probably would have walked to St. Paul’s exploring along the way……instead, we took the tube to get warm for a while. Fortunately, while very cold, most of our days were fairly clear with only one true day of rain.

It got dark by around 4:00-4:30, but London is so lit up at night that it wasn’t that big a deal. The holiday lights and decorations were glorious so that was a major plus as there was a real festive feel to our trip. We did not, however, spend much time in any of the parks and could not picnic at all.

The thing that surprised us the most, though, was how much was closed not just on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but for the whole week. Many of the smaller, local restaurants were closed as were some of the smaller shops and such, especially off the main shopping drags. I had taken a lot of notes on the recommendations of those on the forum, and was not able to dine at the Indian or Chinese restaurants recommended close to our hotel. It did not spoil our trip, but was a bit frustrating a few times during the week.

Flights

We flew nonstop on British Airways roundtrip Dulles-Heathrow. Our tickets cost $583 per ticket for economy class. Flights both ways were pretty much full so no extra room, but all was smooth (a big deal for a scaredy cat flier ie. me) and within a few minutes of on-time. Service was fine. Of course, it was a bit cramped so if you can go business or first class, go for it!

Hotel

We stayed at the B&B Belgravia on Ebury St. near Victoria Station (not to be confused with the Belgravia Hotel on the same street). The décor is modern and fairly basic, but the service was fantastic and the breakfast was awesome for a hotel of this class. This was not a 4 or 5 star place, but was clean, comfortable and offered free internet access from a computer in the lobby as well as full breakfast and 24 hour coffee/cappuccino/tea/hot chocolate machine.

We had the only 2 rooms on the top floor (4 flights of steps) so it was very private and quiet. There are several rooms with less walking, but they may be noisier. If stairs are an issue, you may need to discuss that ahead of time. The beds were firm which was good for me, and the towels were large and fairly substantial. The only other caveat I would share is that I’m not sure if they have AC – certainly not an issue for us in December, but could be in the middle of summer.

Hotel rooms at B&B Belgravia were #16 and #17 on top floor. Total price for 2 rooms – one double and one twin – was £1351 for 7 nights including a full breakfast.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Day 1 - Saturday, December 24th Departure

Left home for airport at 5:30 pm. Flight departed at 10:00pm Overnight flight on British Airways. Uneventful.

Day 2 – Sunday, December 25th Arrival, A Good Walk, and Lebanese for Christmas Dinner

Arrived at Heathrow around 10:00 on Christmas Day. Tube does not run on Christmas so we had booked a private car with driver ahead of time (and had to pay surplus due to holiday). We booked with Simply Airports (http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ and phone 020 7701 4321) for a price of £68. We got our bags very quickly and driver was waiting with a sign as soon as we emerged from immigration/customs. Due to holiday, almost no traffic so at hotel just after 11:00 am which was amazing. Rooms were ready so we checked in.

After unpacking, we went out on a cold walk. We walked by Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Trafalgar Square, then down Whitehall past 10 Downing Street to Big Ben and Parliament. Next we headed back by Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral until we reached the hotel.

Trying not to fall asleep, we relaxed at the hotel for a while. Then, we headed out for a 5:30 dinner reservation at Noura Brasserie, an excellent Lebanese restaurant at 16 Hobart Place (020 7235 9244). We all enjoyed the great food and service and would highly recommend a meal here.

Our meal consisted of 6 mezzes (appetizers – could have gone with 4-5) of aubergine, lamb pizza, hummous, halloimi cheese fried in pastry, spiced lamb in Lebanese bread, and sausage with egg. The main dishes we consumed were:
Chicken Kebabs for J and D, DH had sautéed lamb and spices in a minced lamb and cracked wheat shell, and I had mixed kebabs of lamb, minced lamb, and chicken. The quality of the meat was good and it was grilled to perfection. The Lebanese beer was light and tasty. Total bill for 4, including tax and tip was £107 (which we thought was especially reasonable for Christmas Day given how many places were charging £100-200 per person for Christmas Dinner).

Walked back to hotel and straight to sleep by 9:00pm.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Day 3 – Monday, December 26th – Boxing Day, a Football Match, Lights and a Movie

Breakfast at hotel.

Departed hotel for Victoria Station at 9:00am. There was a long line for assistance (and only 1 person working), but we managed to purchase our 7 day Oyster cards after a wait.

Took the train to Northwood (Watford station closed) and friend, Adam, picked us up for Watford v. Southampton football match in the Championship League. We stopped by his flat for coffee, cake and cheese. His wife was so friendly and gracious. Then, we took off on foot to the Vicarage Road ground for a noon kick-off. The match was excellent and so fun – our seats had a great view. Best of all, Watford won 3-0!

After the match it was off to their club for a celebratory pint. We had the good fortune of meeting several of Adam’s friends as well as a couple visiting from Australia. After a quick pitstop at the flat, it was time to depart for the tube back to Central London.

I highly recommend a football match, and it doesn’t even have to be a big, expensive Premiership match…..just go for the fun if you like the game at all.

Alighting from the tube at Oxford Circus, we walked around enjoying the holiday lights. Went to Leicester Square and the Trocadero. After being out in the cold all day, the family decided to go see a movie, The Producers, which was released on Boxing Day. It was great fun. Walking down Regent Street was a treat.

As it was after 8:00 pm by then, we were all ready for a late dinner. Unfortunately, we had not counted on the fact that most restaurants were either closed for Boxing Day or closed early (at 8:00)…..ok, no big deal we thought…..certainly we can find something open at busy Victoria Station. It may not be gourmet, but we will go with the flow. Alas, upon arriving at Victoria at 8:58, we found that all the eating spots had just pulled down their “gates” for the night.

Yikes….by now it was 9:00 and all were hungry. Decided to walk back to the B&B and eat the energy bars we had in our backpacks for emergencies along with some hot chocolate from the B&B. Somehow, this did not sound ideal, but we intrepid travelers were trying to be flexible and have a good attitude (grrrr….). Imagine how lovely it was when our innkeeper, hearing our story, took out her pans and cooked us scrambled eggs with cheese and toast and put out fresh fruit. Ahhh. It was delicious and affirmed our fondness for the service at our B&B.

Another day comes to a close and we are off to bed.

Day 4 - Tuesday, December 27th King’s Cross, British Museum, Rock n’Roll and a GTG

After a very light breakfast, we left the hotel at 9:00 headed for King’s Cross Station. As major Harry Potter fans, we felt we must check out Platform 9 ¾. We could not find the exact spot (which is between Platforms 4 and 5 in the actual station), but had a grand time pretending to ram a trolley through the barrier and taking pictures. OK, D and I did this while B and J, somewhat bemused, looked on (ahh, those muggles – they just didn’t understand  ).

Upon departing King’s Cross Station for our walk to the British Museum, we discovered it had started snowing. Yes, snowing in London and big, thick flakes. It was beautiful (and cold).

We walked in the snow to the British Museum. We rented audioguides for our visit which were helpful, but not as well-done as some I have used before. Still, we walked around and used the guide at various spots. The museum is spectacular. It would take many visits and countless hours to really see and appreciate all it has to offer. Since we had teenage boys who were getting hungry for lunch, two hours would have to suffice. We all enjoyed the Egyptian and Assyrian exhibits and especially liked the area on Africa. A stroll through the section on Celtic/Roman England was also fascinating.

We were also interested in seeing the British Library on this trip, but it was still closed on the 27th and we never got a chance to go back…..it is on the list for next time.

Ready for lunch, we arrived at Wagamama at 11:55, our predetermined lunch spot, to find it closed. As we needed to eat lunch before our scheduled tour at 1:30, we went into a small café for panini. They were tasty and did the trick, but nothing special.

Then, it was back to the tube to Hyde Park Corner where we were to meet up with Astral Travels in front of the Hard Rock Café for our ½ day “Rock n’ Roll” tour. Having about 15 minutes to spare, we entered the Hard Rock shop to browse and, mostly, to get warm.

Sometimes the highlights of a trip come at the most unexpected moments. It turns out that there is a special room in the basement vault of the shop which has memorabilia on display. Jimmy, our Scottish, “bandanaed” (is that a word?), tattooed and pierced, guide brought the 4 of us on a “tour.” J, our guitar playing music fan, got to hold and play both Jimi Hendrix’ and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitars…..really a wow moment! Other special items were guitars of BB King, Jeff Beck, Kurt Cobain, Eric Clapton, and more along with a pair of glasses and jacket belonging to John Lennon. Highly recommend this to all rock n’roll or blues fans.

Back out on the street, we met up with our guide from Astral (who uses Backroads Touring for this). They promise small groups and since there were about 26 people signed up for this tour, they had 2 small busses and one van. We were fortunate to be put in the van with our own guide, just the four of us.

It was a great way to see lots of London and the rock n’roll stuff was fun, although it could have been just a little shorter. We saw sites associated with Jimi Hendrix, Freddie Mercury, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, and more. We also went to Abbey Road.

After arriving back at the hotel, we went in search of the ever elusive (at least for another day) open local restaurant. As we needed to be at the pub, The Lamb, at 7:00 for the Trip Advisor London Forum GTG, we went to the Oxford Circus area and ate at Strada, a decent and reasonable Italian restaurant that is a London chain.

Our Brazilian server was lovely and attentive until she disappeared partway through our evening…..we still don’t know what happened to her as we never saw her again. Luckily, someone else delivered our main courses and bill. We all started with Caesar salad. D had a tasty chicken dish with tomato sauce, green beans and potatoes. J had spinach ravioli, and B and C ordered the pasta with N. Italian mountain ham (like proscuitto) and gorgonzola and rocket. Red wine for us, sodas for the guys. Total bill came to £67.84, including tax and tip.

Then, it was off to the Lamb for a nice GTG. By then, the kids were tired and, while fun for me, they were a bit bored. B took them back to the B&B while I stayed and enjoyed talking to some interesting fellow travelers. I took a cab home.

Another great day!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Day 5 – Wednesday, December 28th Tower of London, St. Paul’s, Boat ride, and more

As usual, we had a light breakfast at the hotel before setting off a little before 9:00. We arrived at the Tower of London just before 9:30 am and went directly to the Crown Jewels which were spectacular and completely uncrowded. I tried, unsuccessfully, to convince my DH that just ONE of those mere baubles would keep me happy forever…..oh well, a girl can dream.

We then walked back to the entrance to take the Beefeater tour. Our Yeoman Warder was very informative and entertaining. He told the history of the Tower with insight and humor, and kept the boys interested with his tales of intrigue. On our own, we strolled around the White Tower visiting the incredible armor and weapons displays.

Spent a bit of time in the souvenir shop….we are not huge shoppers, but a few postcards, snowglobes and a stuffed animal for J’s girlfriend seemed in order.

Per usual, our group was cold and hungry (anyone want to feed my boys for a week? It would probably save me enough to buy a plane ticket somewhere ;-) ). While we knew we right on the main “tourist path,” we stepped into The Liberty Bounds on the corner near the tube and Tower. It is a Weatherspoons pub and the atmosphere was charming (if a bit smoky). The adults had fish n’chips, they boys sandwiches and burgers. B had the chance to sample several ales and liked the Spitfire the best of those tasted. The most expensive beer on the menu was…..Budweiser – what a waste. The meal was fine, but fairly average. Total price for the 4 of us was £28.12.

Took tube to St. Paul’s as it was a bit chilly for a walk. We thoroughly enjoyed the newly refurbished interior with its gleaming mosaics and painted dome. Determined to ascend the Dome, we began our climb. C made it as far as the Whispering Gallery (which we were unable to utilize correctly – did we miss a trick?), but my fear of heights got the better of me so I went no further. The guys continued their climb to the top. While the trek was advertised as 530 steps, J swears he counted only 515. We will have to return another time to search for the missing steps.

Off we went, walking across the Millenium Bridge and by the Globe Theatre. We spied a dock and found out there was a boat running to the Embankment in just a few minutes. We climbed aboard and enjoyed a ride up the Thames. It was such a gorgeous afternoon, we thought it might be a good time for the Eye, but it was mobbed…seems everyone had the same good idea. A 30-45 minute wait was more than the kids were up for without a rebellion, so we headed back to the hotel for some downtime.

After relaxing, we walked to a close dinner spot by Victoria Station called ASK. There are several locations around London, and this Italian pizza and pasta spot suited our family well. We had Caesar salads, 3 pizzas, and wine/sodas. A little pricey for what we got, but the service and food were good. Hey, it’s London and we’re on vacation. Total bill was £55.60 including tax and tip. No point worrying about the price of every meal in London - just don’t think about it.

Note: We did an awful lot on this trip and the kids were good sports. But, as much as adults need some relaxation time, it seems that this was even more important to the boys. After “force marching” them for several days, we slowed our pace a bit and left a little more down time for the last couple of days. But, first, there was one more long day planned for Thursday.

Day 6 – Thursday, December 29th Oxford, Stratford, and Warwick, and a Great Thai Pub meal

When the alarm went off at 6:00 am, it felt like the middle of the night. I don’t think we could ever do a big tour thing getting up this early on a regular basis. OK, into the shower and grab a cup of coffee, no whining here. We left the hotel just before 7:00 and went to Starbucks right by Victoria as the kitchen at the hotel wasn’t open yet. It was freezing out – the coldest day yet.

We were picked up in front of the Thistle Victoria Hotel by Astral Travels. After meeting up with our group which totaled 13 people, we climbed into our comfortable small bus with our driver/guide named Allen.

The drive to Oxford was uneventful. Debbie was our guide for Oxford and she was very lively, fun and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, it was very cold and all of Oxford was pretty much shut down for the holidays. There were no students in town. Oxford was very charming and the Colleges are lovely with amazing architecture. We did get to see some of the Colleges and even got to walk into the Hertford College quad and chapel which was way cool. Our one disappointment was that we thought we were going to get to see the Great Hall at Christchurch where Harry Potter was filmed, but that was closed.

Still, we enjoyed Oxford and thought it would be nice to go visit in nicer weather when more was going on. Then, we hopped back on the bus to continue on to Stratford-upon-Avon. The drive took us through several lovely Cotswold villages. Again, it was nice to get a taste of the countryside with a future trip in mind.

In Stratford, we visited Shakespeare’s birthplace home and walked through the town. We had a fabulous pub lunch at the Garrick Inn on High Street. It was non-smoking, cozy, charming, and the food was very good. B and C shared a sausage and mash platter and a Beef & Ale Pie that was yummy and warming on a cold day. D had a wrap and J had the venison sausage. With drinks, the bill came to £30.

Our next and last stop of the day was Warwick Castle where the Frost Fair was in progress. This is definitely a castle that fits your pictures. We went into several of the exhibits which were very well done. We climbed the large mound of the original fortress and up the tall “newer” watchtower. The ice skating rink was open, but the line was long so we opted out. This was a lot of fun.

We arrived back at the B&B around 6:00 for a brief relaxation period. This was the first time we have ever really signed up for a bus tour like this and it really went well. First, there were only 13 in the group and all were courteous and timely. Had the weather been warmer, we might have wished for more time in some of these places, but we knew ahead of time that we would feel a little rushed and would just get a brief feel for the area. We all felt that this was a good and worthwhile daytrip and would recommend it as long as one can appreciate it for what it is.

On the recommendation of a friend whose brother lived in London, we took the tube to Notting Hill Gate for dinner at the Churchill Arms on Kensington Church St. This was a very neat pub, but the cool thing was that at the rear of the pub they serve delicious Thai food……Yes, you read correctly…..Thai food at the Pub, but they serve you drinks from the bar. We loved this place, but you really need reservations for dinner. The total bill was £35 with all entrees priced at £5.85, plus wine, beer, sodas, etc…. This was a Fullers pub so B had to have a pint here and compare it to his Young’s at the Lamb. Our “official” opinion was that we preferred the Young’s Bitter to the Fullers Pride (that part is for you, Pub-7), but I know that is a subject certain to rouse debate.

Home to Bed!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Day 7 – Friday, December 30th Westminster Abbey, Wagamama, Imperial War Museum, Turkish Food, and a Pantomime

OK, the kids begged for a morning to sleep in. B had already been to the Abbey and the boys insisted they didn’t care if they missed one more site in London. I, however, was not going to be several blocks from Westminster Abbey and not visit.

So……this morning, everyone slept in. I got up the earliest at 8:30. It was a rainy and cool day, but not quite as cold as it had been.

I took a leisurely shower and had some coffee before heading off on my own for a couple of blissful hours at Westminster Abbey. I arrived around 10:15 and had to wait ½ hour in the rain to get in, but it was worth it! The admission fee was £8 and I rented an audioguide for £3 which was very worthwhile. The Abbey is simply stunning and so filled with history, you can just feel it. The architecture is breathtaking and seeing the Coronation Chair along with the burial spots of Elizabeth I, Mary I, Mary Queen of Scots, many Edwards and Henrys, Famous writers and more was amazing. Walking through the Cloisters felt like walking back in time. Selfishly, I was glad I was there alone, but I do think the guys would have liked it…..there is always next time.

I called B and the kids and they met me at Victoria Station where we took the tube to Leicester Square. We ate lunch at Wagamama which was open this time . It was quick and tasty with excellent service, but pricey. We had a main dish each, drinks, and 2 sides/appetizers for a total of £49.65. I have to say, though, that the ramen really was warming on a damp day.

Then it was off to the Imperial War Museum. J is not a big military history buff so he liked this, but did not love it. The rest of us found it very interesting, especially the WWI Trench experience and the WWII Blitz experience. Admission to this museum, like so many others in London, is free (but donations are encouraged).

Even though we were coming back to the Waterloo area for the evening, it was a couple of hours till dinner and still raining hard. So, we took the tube back to the B&B for a restful hour.

Then, back to Waterloo where we walked to the Old Vic Theatre to pick up our tickets for the pantomime, Aladdin, before heading to dinner. This proved to be a great idea as there was no one there and it was crowded later.

Walked to Tas, a Turkish Restaurant at 33 The Cut (020 7928 1444), for one of our favorite meals of the trip. There are several locations around London, but I think this may be the original. We had an excellent dinner with fantastic service. We had 2 appetizers along with lots of yummy bread (hummous and kisir), 4 main dishes (lamb with aubergine, mussels, moussaka, and another lamb dish with vegetables), bottled water, wine, beer, lemonades, 3 Turkish coffees, and a baklava. All was yummy and the bill came to £72.68 inclusive.

We had plenty of time to stroll back to the Old Vic for Aladdin starring Ian McKellan. What a riot. British pantomimes are hilarious and a ton of fun. There are naughty jokes and lots of audience participation (ie. booing at the bad guy, yelling to the characters, etc…) The theatre is beautifully restored. We had a great evening – a true highlight of the trip and it appealed to all of us. Highly recommended.

Day 8 – Saturday, December 31st London Eye, Harrod’s, We Will Rock You

This was our last full day in London. The weather was fair and a tad bit warmer. Had a light breakfast at the hotel before heading out for the day.

As it was early and beautiful, we decided to try again for a flight on the London Eye. We arrived at 9:30 or so to find no line. We had an enjoyable flight and even I did well, despite my initial trepidations over the height. The views are great and we got lots of great pictures.

We hurried off to the tube as there was a strike scheduled to commence at noon, and we wanted to get to Knightsbridge for Harrod’s before the trains shut down. After enjoying the food halls and children’s section in the famous store, the boys were ready to leave (what about the women’s section???). OK, I know that would have taken the rest of the day, but still…..

Went to lunch across the street at Patisserie Valerie and really splurged in terms of portions – I was stuffed. D got a delicious chicken club and J ordered a croque monsieur. B and I shared a chicken club and a champignon (wild mushroom) monsieur. We also had 5 drinks PLUS dessert of chocolate truffle cake and profiteroles which were decadent. Delicious. Total bill was £52.40.

As the tube was now shut (and we needed to walk off that lunch!!), we strolled down Sloan St. past Chanel, Gucci, Armani, etc…. These places are so out of my league that it wasn’t even worth going in or pretending I was shopping. Still it was a great afternoon for walking. We walked back to our hotel for the afternoon which we spent reading and napping.

Saturday evening brought New Year’s Eve and our dinner reservations at the French bistro, Savoir Faire, along with tickets to the musical We Will Rock You. As the tube was closed, we grabbed a bus schedule and hopped a bus to sorta near the restaurant (our fault as we could have gotten closer, but got off too early).

Savoir Faire is at 42 New Oxford St. near Tottenham Ct. Road. We had a good pre-theatre prix fixe meal with garlic bread, salads, a pasta dish, a pork dish, and 2 salmon dishes….add to that ½ bottle of claret, a couple of soft drinks and water. It was a cozy small bistro and everything was very nice. Total bill came to £55.

We walked a few short blocks to the Dominion Theatre for a performance of We Will Rock You which is a musical based on the music of Queen. The voices were great, the energy, lighting and costumes were excellent, and it was a fun, rockin’ choice for New Year’s Eve. The plot, however, was a bit thin and I can’t say it was my very favorite show ever. Still, we had a blast and the boys really liked the choice.

It was 10:30 when we left the theatre, and we needed to find a bus. The streets were full and lively as it was only 90 minutes till the New Year. The first bus stop was closed off (due to police traffic rerouting for the festivities), but we soon found another stop and got on easily. We were back to Victoria just after 11:00 pm.

We really thought about taking another bus or a bit of a walk to try to get down to the Thames for the fireworks and probably would have had the tube been running. However, it was a little far and late and the kids were running out of steam. Also, we weren’t sure we’d be able to get a view so late and might be stuck in an alley behind some building – watching on TV with the windows open to hear the fireworks’ boom seemed like a good plan. The fireworks were unbelievable and we almost wished we had found a way to be there. Still, it was nice to turn off the TV and read in bed before drifting off, another fun-filled London day behind us.

Day 9 – Sunday, January 1st Departure

I had planned for a later flight so we wouldn’t end our trip exhausted after being up late for NYE. We slept till 9:00, had a large, cooked breakfast, and packed.

We checked out of the hotel by 11:00 and the driver arrived almost ½ hour early. As there was no traffic, we had left early and the driver SPED, we arrived at the airport with 3 hours to spare. Still, better early and relaxed than late and stressed. We did a little shopping, then read till it was time to board.

The flight was smooth and arrived just 10 minutes late. We were back to our home in VA
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

The flight was smooth and arrived just 10 minutes late. We were back to our home in VA around 8:00 (ok, 2:00am London time but we refused to think about that).

We all agreed it had been a wonderful trip.

Thanks to all who helped us with planning this vacation……we couldn’t have done it without you!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Here is the link for the pictures.

y=ak2vx7&Ux=1http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=o4lowzr.notuiu 3&U
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Whoops....that link didn't work.

Try this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...k2vx7&Ux=1
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM

Great trip report! Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM

What a great trip report and pictures. You did almost all the things I do when I go home (except the football!). Tas is one of my favourites too. You really captured the atmosphere of London in winter. And you obviously had a great time. Is your 11 year old understudying for Harry Potter?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Loved your trip report and pictures. Don't sell yourself short, you're a very engaging writer!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the great trip report. It brought back memories of trips to London with my kids when they were young -- lots of fun, lots of walking, and the chance to visit all the sights we didn't go to when we lived there... (I grew up near London, but didn't see the Tower till I went back for a visit with the kids!)

Your mention of Northwood (where I went to school) and Watford (where I worked for a while) brought back still more memories. And even thought visits with kids aren't always easy, you are building experiences that they will cherish later in life, when you all go again together, or when they travel there by themselves.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM

I think you're a natural born travel writer! Great report. Felt like I was right there with you. I even got a few chills when you talked about the cold weather!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Hi fun4all! Thanks for the great trip report. I enjoyed your pictures too -- it brought back memories of our visit when our children were younger.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

Loved your report, I wanna go back!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone. You better be careful, however, as you may give me a big head.

Now I will have to bore you with a trip report on our upcoming June trip to the Berner Oberland and Northern Italy.

seetheworld - hi!

gertie- glad you like Tas, as well. 11 year understudying for HP....he wishes!!

Really, I am so pleased some of you find my report entertaining and, hopefully, useful.

Happy travels!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Terrific report fun4all4!

You managed the holiday closures really well. I almost booked a trip just to see Sir Ian in that role - must have been a blast.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM

Really enjoyed reading your report, fun4all4! Thanks for your great descriptions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM

Enjoyed your report. My daughter and I stayed in Bloomsbury in October and discovered Savoir Faire on our last night just walking around looking for somewhere close to the hotel to eat. We really liked it, too, and will go again when we are back in London.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM

Great report and thanks for the picts! Loved the anit-war demos. Where are ours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -