MARRIOTT IN ROME

Search

MARRIOTT IN ROME

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MARRIOTT IN ROME

What is the most centerally or best located Marriott in Rome?
Thanks
Gail
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM

The only Marriott in the center of Rome is the Grand Hotel Flora on or just off the Via Vittorio Veneto, but it is not in the so-called historical center of Rome, which most frequent visitors to Rome prefer to the Via Veneto area.

The other two Marriotts are outside the city.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM

The Grand Flora is not in the historical centre, but is a fine location, and if you can stay on points, is doubly fine. It is down the street from the Westin. It is accross the street from the Borghese Park, which is a nice plus. It is a longish walk to the Spanish Steps area, but doable if you wanted to (downhill from the hotel). It is in a nice neighborhood of shops and some restaurants, pretty upscale. It is a very nice hotel, food and service are good, the bar serves great Bellinis. Be sure to go up to the roof for a wonderful view of the seven hills of Rome. I stay there a lot on business. While I agree that I would prefer to be in the Via Veneto area when there for pleasure, the Marriott Flora is perfectly fine as well.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I am one of those people who actually LIKES staying near the Via veneto despite having been repeatedly criticized on this board for being in a part of the city that:

1) "Isn't the 'real' Rome

2) is too far from the 'centro storico' (now that we've mastered our two Italian words)

3) is "too fancy schmancy"

4) is "too snooty" and the list goes on.

If you can absolutely stand to stay away from the absolute middle of "tourist central" which certain HAS its good points, don't get me wrong, and are not intimidated by upscale surroundings (the guests may be an entirely other matter), and especially if you can get it on points, GO for it.

You can take the escalator and the underground walkway which begins across the street to get to the Spanish Steps and the Metro. the Borghese park, and Gallery and the zoo are VERY close by.

AND, this dastardly Fodorite anathema "chain hotel" is actually run by Italians (can you believe it????)

Have a GREAT trip..and have one over at Harry's Bar across the street.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I enjoyed reading the positive comments about the Grand Hotel Flora. We will stay there seven nights in March for free using points.

Could any of you who have stayed at the hotel -- or are familiar with the area -- share some nearby dining recommendations? We are looking for moderately priced restaurants, as well as places for a quick meal (after a long day trip).

Thanks in advance.

Woody
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Hi Woody,

Stayed at the Westin Excelsior down the street last month. Do NOT eat at Cafe De Paris -- hubby found a cute worm in his salmon carpaccio.

And dont buy any leather goods in the stores. WAY overpriced. But - the area was very beautiful...
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM

readbaron:

Wise advice! Thanks

Woody