Restaurants in Montmarte Area

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Montmarte Area

In June I will be spending a week in Paris on business. I will be at the Terrass Hotel 12, rue Joseph de Maistre, which is at the base of Montmarte. After having very long days I will be looking for good restaurants(not necessarily fancy or high priced) within walking distance of the hotel. Suggestions would be most welcome.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Here are some from older threads:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34588879

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34534959

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34388756
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Relais Gascon -- not sure if this is close to the hotel, but it is in Montmarte, reasonable and full of locals.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut,

Thanks for the links, they will be useful. I knew there was good food somewhere in that area, although I had been disappointed on my past trips and usually ended up taking a taxi somewhere else.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM

There are lots of fantastic places easy to reach from the Terrass Hotel (lucky you!). You'll find the personnel at the hotel very helpful for restaurant recommendations. (Ask everyone, not just the concierge...)

Not to be missed is Le Paris Boheme. This place is great anytime. There's a sidewalk cafe, cafe, then a very nicely decorated (with awesome huge aquarium - not the Chinese restaurant sort) beyond. Food is fabulous at low-moderate prices. http://www.paris-boheme.com/cadres.html

Other gems include L'Etrier Bistro (it's tiny, reservations essential), Le Moulin aux Vins, Moulin de la Galette.

For just a bit fancier and pricier, there's Le Maquis.

You can map (and get phone numbers) all these at www.pagesjaunes.fr

At Place du Tertre and vicinity (wander the side streets), despite everyone's admonition of "touristy", there are some fine (and inexpensive) dining choices all about. We wandered into a magnificent Italian restaurant (and we would not normally even consider Italian dining when in Paris) with a fabulous piano player one evening and had a splendid meal, then sat around for hours listening to the piano player. The aromas from outside drew us in.

Best of the best (I think) right at Place du Tertre, is La Cremaillere. Another "all purpose" sort of place. Sidewalk tables, busy cafe just inside the door, bar area, gorgeous Art Nouveau rooms for dining in the back, and one of the prettiest and most relaxing "garden terraces" beyond - just magnificent in the nice weather. An unbelievable oasis for relaxing. Service is continuous, so if you head for the garden in the off hours, you may just have it to yourself (we did). Menu is extensive, food is excellent, service is friendly, prices are low.

Be sure to stroll by the "Man in the Wall" sculpture (with your camera) at Place Marcel Aymé.

Note that the nearby #80 bus (you can get the route map at www.ratp.fr) will take you to all of the above to the north, and to Gare Saint-Lazare neighborhood (a splendid "urban renewal" area), Place de l'Alma (location of the fabulous terrace of Chez Francis), through the 7th (location of rue Cler of Rick Steves fame - well worth a visit, no matter what you think of Rick Steves or "touristy" destinations, and the Tour Eiffel.

And, you really should visit the restaurant with terrace within the hotel. The views over Paris are positively magnificent.

We haven't been to these in a few years, but great places to wind down are Chez Eugene, Chez Ginette, Le Canotier du Pied de la Butte, and Lux Bar - all with music (chansons...). Also great for classic "chansons" is La Mere Catherine on Place du Tertre. Better food and prices than you'd expect and fantastic music. You can hear the musicians/vocalists from a table outdoors, and they'll find you a seat indoors once the dinner rush is over. Or, you could go for dinner. And, this is another place with a surprising "garden" area which is magnificent in the nice weather any time of the day or evening.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM

I recommend Le Restaurant on Rue Veron. We had a great dinner there.

There's another restaurant on one of the two dead end streets, either Rue Constance or Rue Cauchois, called "something" Robert.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional information. I am familiar with the restaurant on the top of the Terrass hotel and usually do eat there about two times during the week. In fact we host a party there one night and take over the whole restaurant (what a view!!).
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM

mholleran-

Any comments on the Terrass Hotel itself? My husband's company just booked him in there--we usually stay around place de la Madeleine--so he's curious about the area and walking around at night.

Thanks!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM
ira

Added to Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Just a quick update--Terrass Hotel. Large rooms, clean, efficient. Staff a little snooty.

I wasn't thrilled with the location since the room overlooked the cemetery and not very convenient to the Metro. It seemed like it took a cab forever to get to the hotel.

I won't be back--back to our regular Astor Saint-Honore in the 8th (which for one day, about a week apart, was actually less expensive!).
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Le Maquis is the best in your immediate area; you must reserve. And check out the feral cats in the cemeterie-great photo ops.