Bucharest, Transylvania, & Beyond

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off on a Danube cruise in May, ending in Bucharest, and going up into Transylvania. OK, all you Bucharest experts, what should we be sure to do and see while in that big city?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Where are you, Bucharest experts?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM

You may want to do a search for Clifton's trip report to Romania. I don't see many Romania posts on this board, but his trip report is great...very entertaining and thorough.

Tracy
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Some recommendations:

- Walk on Calea Victoriei and see the beautiful buildings
- Parks: Cismigiu and Herastrau (nice floral arrangements, many trees, lake - you can taake a boat). Cismigiu is located very central; Herastrau is in a nice zone, near Sosea (here there are a lot of embassies)
- Visit: Casa Poporului (one of the biggest buildings in the world, the last built by Ceausescu) - I suggest to phone a day or two before to book this visit
- Cotroceni Palace (also a booking in advance will be a good idea)
- Museum of Art (I suggest to start with the left wing, where, at the third flour you can see some original rooms of the old Royal Palace
- Village Museum - Muzeul Satului (at Sosea), it is a museum in open air, you can see here old houses from all regions of the country
- some nice restaurants - Cina, Athenee, Capsa - you can ask at reception of your hotel about restaurant with live music in the evening
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM

On your way to Transylvania from Bucharest, stop for a few hours in Sinaia, about 2 hrs. by train from Bucharest. You can visit the Peles Castle (open from 9 to 5), former residence of the Hohenzollern Royal House of Germany. Beautiful architecture, just what one would expect from a castle. Take a tour and enjoy the interiors.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:17 PM

I guess you should book a 5 hours city tour of Bucharest, including "hidden Bucharest" features thru Andrei Nicolau - tour guide & tour leader. You can find him at [email protected]

The Hills
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:01 PM

Not an expert, but this site has some good ideas:

www.entertainmentbucharest.com

Enjoy, I did!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM

I am not an expert but I am planning a possible trip to Bucharest and Transylvania for either this fall or summer of '07.

Clifton didn't go to Bucharest, but his information about Transylvania should be very useful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34543931
He posted many of his pictures and his itninerary to:
http://www.travelisfatal.com/ro/

Another very good trip report for Transylvania is Michael's:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34659808

Another Romanian thread:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34762953

Just saw your original post date and your travel date of May - maybe you have already finished your planning? If so, what do you plan to see?
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM

USNR.....are you going on a rivercruise tour? We are going in Sept. on a Tauck World Discovery, starting Bucharest, ending Budapest...did Amsterdam-Budapest last Sept. and it was terrific.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

We are going down the Danube to where it enters the Black Sea at Constanta, Romania. Then west by rail to Bucharest and north by bus into the mountains of Transylvania, near a place called Sinaia. In all, about three weeks. With Grand Circle. Beyond Budapest, it's new territory for us. From all reports, it sounds interesting. We will take along a copy of Clifton's report for guidance.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM

USNR,

If you don't mind... The Danube flows into the Black Sea just after Tulcea, which is some 225km north of Constanta. It forms the most beautiful delta in Europe. A birds' paradise. It is well worth the time to go there for a day trip by boat into the wilderness.
However, you may go on the Danube - Black Sea canal, which takes you to Constanta...
Sinaia is not in Transylvaia. Brasov is the gate to Transylvania. However, Sinaia is one of the most beautiful mountain resorts in Romania. Make sure you visit the Peles Castle (former royal residence of the Hohenzollerns), and maybe you will take a cable car up in the mountains to 1400 or even 2000 meters.