Food in Paris, strange question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's the thing, I'm on a low carb diet as I don't metabolize carbs normally. And no, I'm not diabetic, but I sure would like to stick with my weird low carb diet while in Paris. I can eat sugar/fruit/bread, but I get sick from it so it's best avoided if I want to enjoy my vacation.

From what I've read, bfast seems to be bread. Will I be able to find places that serve eggs or some sort of protein in the mornings?

I imagine for lunch and dinner I should be able to order plain meat and a few veggies, although if anyone has any tips on how to avoid carbs in Paris, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be).

Thanks
D
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM

A lot of cafes serve brunch now. Or you can go to Breakfast in America on rue des Ecoles in the Latin Quarter where you can order eggs & bacon, American style.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM

the typical breakfast at a hotel will have boiled eggs and cheese available.

i don't think it's a problem to limit carbs in paris. it's very easy to get just meat and veg, if that's what you want.

sweetener is not as readily available as it is in some countries. if you drink coffee...bring your own. diet/light sodas are available but i always drink water instead.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM

I was basically on the South Beach diet for almost a full year a few years ago and did just fine on countless trips to France.

Breakfast is a bit more complicated than other meals, because the standard breakfast is usually croissants,s rolls,jam, and coffee, but I just stocked up on yogurt and cheese at a local alimentaire and kept them in my hotel minifridge.

The rest of the meals were easy - no problem just having salads and meat and veggies and cheese and more cheese...
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM

Yes...where else in the whole world could be better for a diet that basically has unlimited wonderful cheese, eggs, green veggies/salads and meat??
Just leave the bread and pastries and you are fine!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM

How does one go to Paris and not eat bread and pastry??? LOL
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Find a hotel with a mini frig/honor bar. Buy sliced ham, cheese, plain yogurt. As other mention, breakfast will be the only tricky meal.

If there happens to be a coffee maker (or you might want to take your own)... did you know you can make 3 hard boiled eggs in a small melita style drip coffee maker? Clever trick we learned traveling Mexico.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM

The 4 food groups are, in no particular order,

WINE
CHEESE
BREAD
CHOCOLATE

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM

I find it very easy to be go low carb in Paris.
I eat plenty of fruit, salads, veggies and cheese and fish/chicken. I often have wonderful omelets in the cafes, no problem at all!
It is very easy to eat whatever you want in Paris..
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:41 PM

When I was in Paris a year ago, I think I had an omelette every morning for breakfast. The cafe next to my hotel made one for me every morning, with whatever I requested. I did have to ask that it be cooked "well done" (I don't remember the phrase in French).
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM

I don't eat a lot of carbs either and found it pretty easy to manage in Paris. For breakfast I would order an omelet at a cafe..they usually come with a croissant, but you can either ask them to leave it off or give it to a dining companion!

For lunch, I'd get a salad with protein...there are fabulous salad nicoise...grilled salmon etc. Dinner....my favorite is steak tartare!

I also would keep cheese and sliced meats/salami in my room in the mini-bar.

Have a great trip!

margy
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM

Of course, I have no will power and therefore cannot resist pain au chocolate and tarte tatin and a croissant sometimes..
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM

My favorite salad was one from Le Flore en l'Ile - salad with chicken livers. Fabulous! It had croutons on it but you could push those to the side. And of course, vinaigrette has no carbs in it.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM

Just about every Bistro in France (especially Paris) has wonderful salads..and Onion soup...you will eat well and have a ball!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:52 PM

When I stayed at hotels in Paris the breakfast buffet included lunchmeat, fruit & cheese. But my favorite is always the breakfast yougert with fruit preserves. YUM YUM!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM

Regarding minibars and buffet breakfasts, it depends on the class of the hotel. If you are watching costs, consider renting an apartment, so you can have breakfast at home.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM
ira

Hi D,

You can always go to a monoprix or other grocery and get some cheese, yoghurt, etc for bkfst and eat it on a park bench.

Bring a spoon.

Have a nice low-carb visit.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I feel better, I was worried Paris would be so 'foodie' that I'd have a hard time. I always hear about the wonderful food and wish I'd gone back before I knew what was wrong with me, when I could still eat.

With regards to the pastries, my husband will buy them and I'll try a small bite, so I will at least get to taste some of the famous Parisian pastries.

I will also bring some beef jerky and almonds for emergencies. I can eat cheese, but not yogurt.

Merci beaucoup!
D
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:01 AM

If it's not too late for this thread, Flore en Ile, at the tip of Ile St Louis just over the bridge from the backside of Notre Dame, whips up very good omelettes in the morning.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I highly recommend Breakfast In America. I was there at the beginning of February and it was terrific. We stayed at the Hotel Minerve a couple of doors down and while we ate French food the entire rest of our trip, the greasy (in a GOOD way) protien-filled breakfast hit the spot after a particularly late night at a disco. I'm sorry to hear you can't enjoy the breads in Paris, but to my way of thinking, that just leaves room for more FOIS GRAS!!!!! Oh, and if you still need to know, well done is "bien cuit", pronounced bee-eh kwee (sort of). Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -