Paris Shopping Tips

Search

Paris Shopping Tips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Shopping Tips

What are some good shops or shopping neighborhoods in Paris for a married couple, ages 31 and 28? We'd like to find some fun French fashion, but our budget cannot accomodate the likes of the high fashion houses. We will, of course, head to Champs Elysee for window shopping, but where are some hip yet reasonable places to spend our (limited)$?

Will be in Paris this September.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Rue de Rivoli has alot of inexpensive shops including an H&M.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cigalechanta. We know H&M well.

I guess I was hoping for places off the beaten path.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM

There are a few shopping in PArin books on the market. drop by a larger bookstore.Born to Shop Paris is a great book with good info on neighborhoods too.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Go up to Blvd. Haussmann (Galerie LaFayette)but then walk towards the metro for "Bonne Nouvelle". The fashions are more young and the prices are much cheaper.

Blackduff
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Rivoli is a long street with loads of inexpensive boutiques, I was only pointing out that they have an H&M as well as a gap. There are alot of shoe shops there also. My watch strap was falling apart so I found a jewelry store to replace it while strolling to check out th shops. The BHV on the street has a huge clothing section.
Be sure to stop in the incredibly beautiful Guirlain shop on the Rue St Honoré. The expensive shops are on the St Honore and the Faubourg St Honoré.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I'm not into fashion shopping very much, so probably don't know the best place to get high fshion at reasonable prices (whatever that may be to you, hard to say, as that really varies a lot by what people considerable reasonable). Just wanted to tell you that the Champs-Elysees isn't really a good place to do window shopping for high fashion. There are a lot of stores there, but that isn't really where high fashion stores are located, but other things. You can find a couple major vendors on that street (Louis Vuitton, for example), but high fashion shops are really in other locations -- like off the Champs Elysees to the southwest of the 8th or on rue St Honore, or around place des Victoires or even Etienne Marcel. The latter might have more reasonable shopping. You'd probably do just as well to go to some large department stores, it would be easier, also -- like Bon Marche, or even Printemps or Galeries Lafayette. There are some areas of town with more "seconds" shops which will be cheaper (or label torn out). They aren't going to be the current cutting edge stuff, of course. Rue Alesia has a lot of discount clothing shops, and St Placide.

The Champs Elysees has some stores like Zara which is fairly young, and not really French cutting edge, since it's a Spanish chain.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:45 AM

rue Dragon- Left Bank- Shoes shoe glorious shoes.
In the Marais, just a lot of funky cute and good boutiques full of every sort of clothing and jewelry and whatever..I always do well there but never pay attention to the names.
Between Blvd St Germain and Luxembourg Gardens are some fine small boutiques, some are pricey and some have things that are reasonable .. Some nice stores with handbags there too.
Rue de Grenelle has some darling small shops for home and so does rue Dominique..
Hope this helps
Scarlett the Shopper
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I was just in Paris and really enjoyed shopping in the Marais. I would suggest Zadig et Voltaire as a good shop. They are a Paris chain shop that carries mens and womens fashion. Very cool and hip.

Also, try Rue Abbesses in the 18th. The shops there are really unique. Again, cool and hip, and not at all touristy. Spend time in Monmartre while you're up there.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:16 AM

gigam Z&V is not inexpensive that's why I restricted to the Rivoli.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM

What exactly is H and M?
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM

It's an inexpensive line of clothing. We have two here in Boston. It's owned by the Swedes. They have a rapid turnover of merchandise.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

All great tips! Thanks! Will definitely check out rue de Rivoli and Marais. The shoe places are already calling my name. My poor husband.

And H&M is great - have been to one in Chicago, and we are getting one in KC.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:33 PM

bookmarking for my wife !
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM

the St Honoré and faubourg St H. have the top dogs $$$$$ in that area like Hermes Chanel, Longchamp,
Rue de Grenelle has also some $$$$ for shoes and the likes of Sonia Rykiel.
The Marais shops are mostly expensive too but more unique finds, There was a shop on my hotel street, rue de Veille Temple that has original exotic clothes.
all made by one woman.
The shops all over were showing alot of what looked like boiled wool.