Istanbul + Ephasus or Cappaddocia?

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul + Ephasus or Cappaddocia?

I'm planning a 10-day trip to Turkey in mid-May.

Spending most of the time in Istanbul but also hoping to squeeze in another place. Have heard so much about ruins in Ephasus and the dramatic landscape in Cappaddocia.... can't decide which place to go to. Can't afford to go to both unfortunately.

Appreciate any advice.

also if you know, how much roughly it will cost and the best way to get to either places... on my own or through travel tour?

Thanks for the help!!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM

I read a great trip report here today about turkey. I'm gonna go look for it. They went to ephasus. Her pix were awesome
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1

don't know if I did that right.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM

We visited Kusadasi and Epheses in September. Loved it.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Your choice of mid-May is a good one. Could be warm in Cappadocia, but Istanbul and Ephesus should be fine.

Try this: 4 days in Istanbul, two in Cappadocia, two in the Ephesus area, and back to Istanbul. We have traveled extensively throughout Turkey and find it to be a never-ending source of fascinating sights and experiences combined with very hospitable people. Excellent food -- different, always fresh, many regional specialities. Find some way to go to all the places named -- scrimp and save -- it will be the experience you will treasure forever. Yes, you can do it on your own. But Turkey has so much history, so many civilizations, that you will miss a lot without a guide. Have you checked the tours offered through Grand Circle?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sooo much to all for your responses.

laartista... the link didn't work but I did notice the trip report that you mentioned. Have saved the link to her website too.. will check it out later.

USNR - will try to get the $$ to visit those places. Coming from Malaysia, it is quite expensive for us (1 new Turkish Lira = 2.8 Malaysian Ringgit)
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM

If you haven't done so already, check out www.nisanyan.net It's a Turkish company that will make all arrangements for you. We have been with them twice: 6 days (Istanbul, Kusadasi, Ephesus) and 16 days (Capadoccia, Olympos, Kusadasi). We had great service from this company. We hired a car on both occasions. Two bits of advice - (a) Roads can be awful, with lots of roadworks and diversions, so plan plenty of time for getting from place to place if you are driving, and (b) Don't miss the ballooning in Capadoccia, even though it does cost the earth. If it's a choice between Cappy and Ephesus, I would go for Cappy. Both are fantastic places, but you have enough time for Cappy (I would give it a minimum of 4 full days), and Ephesus can be fitted into a shorter visit on another occasion.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Depending on the time of the day you can find cheap tickets with local airlines to fly Izmir. From Izmir to Ephesus is just 50 min. drive. There used to be a shuttle to take you to Seljuk. Otherwise rental car would be fine and cheaper than taxi ( usually )

You could fit the major attractions in a day and return istanbul by the night.
I would also suggest strongly to add cappadocia in your plans.
Easiest and cheapest depnding on time :
Bus or train to Ankara and 4,5 hrs. bus to central Cappadocia. Otherwise Turkish Airlines or Onur air flights to Kayseri and shuttle service to Cappadocia 10 Usd for 50 min ride.

I live in Cappadocia and did both ways. If you can strech the budget take the first plane for Cappadocia.
If you still need to choose either destinations, than see what attracts your interests best.
Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I have visited both of these places and if you have time and funds only for one, I would suggest Cappadocia. Ephesus is very interesting and beautiful but the site is packed with tourists and unless you are interested in ancient history you may not find it as worthwhile as Cappadocia, which has a landscape unlike any other in the world. Just my own opinion. Do try to see both; you are coming a long way. You will love Turkey!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again to all for the responses.
Unfortunately my travel agent came back to say that flights are quite full (am travelling in end April instead) and in the end I only have 5 nights to spend in Turkey. So I'll spend it all in Istanbul.

Having read all the wonderful stories about Ephesus, Cappadocia and other places, also seeing photos that ppl have posted, I definitely will want to come back to visit.

Thanks again to all!!