Search

Amazing Race 3/21 Episode

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing Race 3/21 Episode

Okay, I'll start this week's thread!

In previous weeks I've found quite a few of the teams likeable, but after this week I'm cheering for the hippies to win it. Those guys are funny, relaxed, tenacious, caring, and lucky!

So kind of the hippies to express their worry about Fran & Barry (?), and then take time to give them hugs. Just curious...the hippies seemed a little closer to each other yesterday; are they a couple?

I thought the German bottle smashing and dancing were hilarious, especially since they had to wear the costumes.

Although I initially like the mother/daughter team, I was growing tired of them in the way they reacted. I think the Double D's will go soon as they are just riding coat tails.

Great season so far!

Enjoy-la!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:42 AM

I was so sure that Fran and Barry would do terrible at the dancing, especially since they seemed to start out with difficulty. Then again, from what was shown, everyone did OK with the dancing.

I felt bad for the mother-daughter team, but I knew that whichever team was last would have the hardest time finding the gnome--only one left!

And, as much as Lake seemed to bug me (and others) in past weeks with his attitude, I did like how he encouraged a positive attitude and wanted to banish all negativity. The mother-daughter team might have benefited from such an attitude--or maybe it wouldn't have made any difference.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM

I'm curious as to why some teams never seem to have maps! Is it left up to them to find and purchase them? I can't imagine jumping in a car and not having anyway to figure out where to go and have to follow or stop and ask someone. I also wonder why people don't try to learn how to read maps before they go...surely they know how crucial it is.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM

The German dancing reminded me of that movie European Vacation!

I'm cheering for the hippies too. Once again they addressed locals in the native tongue ("Wo ist...?&quot. Since no one ever seems to do that, they should get extra credit points!

Re: directions/maps. Anyone notice that sometimes there's a piece of paper taped to the steering wheel of the cars the teams get? Are those directions? That would explain the lack of maps.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM

I'm not a regular watcher of the Amazing Race but did receive instructions for a "Play at Home" game that sounds like a lot of fun. Don't know if it's too late to start for the current season, but here are the rules:

Preparation:

Go on line at www.cbs.com. Look up the Amazing Race and read though the Bios of the contestants. Prior to the first episode, pick the three teams you think will do the best on the race. After watching the first episode, you will have the opportunity to make one change in your team selection, provided that the team you would like to change has not been eliminated in the first leg of the race. Once you have made your final selection, these will be the teams you have for the duration of the race. No new players will be allowed to join the pool after the first episode of the series has aired.

Scoring Points:

Teams are awarded points at the end of each leg of the race as follows:

First team, to the pit stop -15 points
Second team – 12 points
Third team – 9 points
Fourth team – 5 points
Fifth team - 4 points
Sixth team – 3 points
Seventh team – 2 points
Eighth and Ninth team – 1 point
Tenth Team – 0 (elimination)
Teams who are last to arrive at the pit stop, but whose asses are saved because it is a non-elimination round will receive the point score assigned to the placement.

Spoiler Points (this is where the fun starts):

Spoiler Points (pluses) awarded as follows:

1. Teams who manage to come in first after arriving last to the pit stop the week before – an extra 10 points – plus an extra 5 points if they managed to do it starting with no money due to a non-elimination round
2. Teams who have a member who vomits during any leg of the race - 15 points
3. Teams who have a member who gags during any leg of the race – 5 points
4. Teams who have a member who proposes marriage to another member of the team – 25 points
5. Teams who have members who announce they will be getting a divorce after the race – 50 points
6. Teams who have a member who proposes marriage to a member of another team – 100 points
7. Teams who use the yield option – 10 points
8. Teams who seek revenge for getting yielded – 10 points
9. Win a footrace to the mat – 10 points
10. Good Samaritan, to another team or a local – 5 points
11. Sustain injury – Sustain an injury that requires medical attention – 15 points
12. A participant says “I love you” to their teammate – 5 points
13. A participant says “I love you” to someone else’s teammate – 10 points
14. Teammate kiss on the lips – 3 points
15. With tongue – 10 points
16. Hi-five your teammate – 3 points
17. Hi-five someone else’s teammate – 5 points
18. A team member agrees to shave their head, eyebrows, armpits, back (provided they have hair to shave) 10 points and a bandana
19. A team member refuses to shave their head, eyebrows, armpits – minus 10 points
20. A team member refuses to shave their back especially if they have hair to shave – automatic elimination from the home game version of Amazing Race 8 unless they keep their shirt on for the entire race…
21. Team experiences a flat tire – minus 5
22. Two or more flat tires in an episode – minus 15
23. Team member ends up in a police station – minus 15
24. A team is pulled over by a cop for any reason – minus 5
25. If they can talk their way out of a ticket – 5 points, and an extra 5 points if they can get the cop to help them in some way.
26. Take a penalty at a detour or a roadblock because you don’t want to do the task – minus 20 points
27. Changing your mind about a fast forward because you don’t want to do the task – minus 5
28. Don’t complete a road block or detour correctly, resulting in your team having to go back – minus 5
29. Teams who switch road blocks mid-way – minus 5 points
30. Teams who have a member who has a screaming hissy fit – minus 5 points
31. Teams who have a member who calls another member of their team a nasty name – minus 10 points
32. Teams who have a member who starts crying and says, “I can’t do it!” – minus 5 points
33. Teams who pray to “Lord Jesus” to help them find a clue (like he hasn’t got better things to do) – minus 15 points
34. Teams who don’t have at least one member who can drive a standard transmission – minus 10 points
35. Teams who don’t check what kind of gas their car requires, and fill up with the wrong kind – minus 10 points
36. Teams who are not aware that English is not spoken all over the world – minus 10 points
37. Teams who think, if they speak loudly to someone in pigeon English they will be understood – minus 10 points
38. Teams who are unnecessarily rude to the locals – minus 5 points
39. Teams who do not arrive first when opting to use the Fast Forward – minus 20 points
40. Teams who dress in matching outfits – minus 10 points, unless tastefully done (this does not include team shirts i.e), bowling moms….)
41. Teams who complain about sleeping arrangements (i.e), having to sleep in a tent, on a bench, with their partner, etc.) – minus 10 points
42. Teams who accuse taxi drivers, ticket agents, flight attendants etc. of causing them to loose the race – minus 5 points
43. Team members who cry or whine because they are “too” tired, “too” hungry, “too” scared etc. – minus 5 points
44. Teams members who ask “Are we there yet?” – minus 5 points
45. Teams members who ask “Do we have to?” – minus 5 points

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM

I thought last night's episode was good. I, too, hope the "hippies" end up taking the race. They just seem like they would be such interesting guys to travel with. I also liked that they expressed some concern for Fran and Berry as well.

I thought it interesting that after so many teams got so frustrated with the nesting dolls in Russia that they would go after the breaking wine bottles! I think I would have done the dance steps myself.

As to the map thing? It looks like everyone gets a map. However, some people just can't read maps. I know more than a couple like that. Give them a map and you might as well be giving them directions to buried treasure in some archaic ancient language that is long forgotten. If some of these people can't read a map, they might figure it is easier to to try to use road signs or just ask people.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:05 AM

Sorry - I had edited out a bit of inappropriate language from the game rules but my edited post vanished - also I added a comment that this is a team game - it also vanished
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM

I took a fall and was icing my freaking butt bone...missed the first half of last night's show dammit! And no, I'm not joking. Friend came over to get pet sitting instructions, vacation tomorrow, and walking her out I went butt first down half the stairs...HARD stairs. Can someone tell me how the hippie guy's encourgage the other team? BTW, I still am hoping the nerdies get it
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:35 AM

Didn't see this thread when I looked earlier this morning...

What a great episode. I've never laughed this hard at any other episode. Not the staged humor of the detour, but the genuine good humor of the teams. The teams are getting along and having a lot of fun.

And the elimination ending - one of the closest we have seen. And though I don't hate any team, the least appealing lost.

"It just goes to show that its not over until the Phil sings!"

Keith
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM

TamaraEden ~ Sorry to hear about the fall! Hopefully everything will be okay and nothing is too badly injured.

It was during the "to be continued" pit stop in Moscow, I believe. BJ and Tyler had just met up with Phil and were told to continue and were about to leave for the airport to catch a flight to Frankfurt. They made the comment that they hoped Fran and Barry would make it in time, or something to that effect. Then BJ and Tyler spotted them and seemed genuinely glad the older couple were there. They actually exchanged hugs before heading off to the airport.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM

Weren't they supposed to bring the gnomes with them to the finish. The hippies were the only ones who did not bring them & I thought that possibly they would be eliminated for that reason.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM

Oh, they didn't, did they. I bet they'll get some kind of time penalty, announced at the beginning of the next episode.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM

Phil never asked for them or said anything about it whether they had it or not.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM

The only mention made of the gnome was the first team, when the prize was announced, courtesy of Travelocity and "the roaming gnome..."

Personally, I think it was just an advertising ploy. (Albeit a good one)
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

As for the maps - no they aren't given maps. I read "the rules" a few years ago and teams aren't allowed to bring guide books or maps with them. Heck in this day and age if they brought high tech phones most of them could just download maps and guides. They need to purchase or ask people for maps as they go. This means they need to spend their money - which some do wisely and some do not.

The notes on the steering wheels are often directions/laws on driving in a certain country or instructions on where to leave the car when they have to drop it off.

Also want to note that they aren't allowed to bring cameras.

Go hippies!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

They used the gnomes in a previous season - one of them had a trip tag thing inside. THe couple with that gnome won a prize even though they were not the first couple in. I'm surprised they didn't do that this time.

And hello, like going to a Mercedes factory wasn't advertising?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Liz2005 ~ thanks for the info on the maps! I know I am such a compulsive map reader that if I get into a car in a place I know nothing about, it's the first item I would try to find/buy/beg/borrow/steal/whatever!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
JJ5

Good episode. I don't know how the pink girls think they can compete following and NOT using a map. They'll be gone very soon, and it's only luck and others ineptness that has kept them in it. They don't have the drive and always look to others. Their prime method of operation seems to be to use their looks to network or attach. It's not going to play long.

Fran & Barry, the Nerds, and Wanda/D who where last; they all looked really, really beat and fatigued. I think you need to sleep fast and some can, and some can't. Of course when older- everything shows more facially as well.
But overall I think the Mom & Daughter were just as happy to get to a resort.

I like the Tyler and BJ buddies? but I am cheering for Yolanda and lawyer. They looked beat too, but I think they are going to get better at everything.

Lake's sweetie is tough with a capital T. She is no little flower- more like a Steel Magnolia.

I hope the people who like ire and fighting keep watching, I like the cooperation so far much, much better. The trips and travel are hard enough as it is. You need SOME stamina.

The German dancing was so much easier that I was shocked that so many picked those bottles.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM

I would have picked the bottles, I assumed the dancing would be much harder. Maybe the guy making the decision that the contestants had completed the task was very lenient.

Anyone else notice that the test driver with Fran & Barry didn't take the wall as hard as the others?

Keith
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM

ok, I know Phil is Canadian but have you noticed how he pronounces "gnomes"? It's like no-ehms..just thought that a little interesting ...maybe not. I wonder of Yolanda is a professional runner...notice the legs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -