Prague itinerary

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague itinerary

Hi,
I'm flying into Prague at the end of May and am flying out of Prague 10 days later. I'm trying to decide how to spend my time. I've never been to Prague and have heard so many amazing things that I know I want at least 4 days there. Beyond that I'm torn about what else to do with my time. I've always wanted to see Budapest and am debating a few days there. My husband really wants to see Krakow. I also noticed that Dresden is really close and thought that would be nice too. After reading many of the postings here I am also intrigued by the many quaint towns mentioned in other parts of Czech Rep. My husband and I used to travel to Europe and couple of times a year, but since our son was born a few years ago we haven't been. This is our first extended trip without him and I don't want to it to be an exhausting one-however the traveller in me wants to explore while I have the chance. Sorry this is so long-winded. Any advice is greatly appreciated, because there are so many options I can't seem to make up my mind. Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Ilove Prague but ten days there is too many IMO. Dresden is a few hours away by rail; Budapest farther.

How are you planning to travel between these places?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM

Vienna is also an easy trip from Prague. I haven't been to Krakow but have heard really good things about it.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I definitely agree that 10 days is too much for Prague and yes, I've considered Vienna too. However, I'm more intrigued by the other places. As far as how I'll be getting to them, it really depends on what we decided to do. I'm open to whatever mode is best. We're torn between renting a car or taking the train. We'd even consider flying-if it was necessary. Thanks for the help
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Budapest is quite a bit different from Prague, a little less welcoming and a lot bigger. Pest and the river sure are pretty at night when viewed from the Buda side, though! I really loved Prague, like nearly everyone seems to, and liked Budapest but didn't fall in love with it, although I would like to visit again. Vienna was very pleasant but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit again - if you spend any time there on your trip I wouldn't spend much.

I didn't make it to Krakow on my trip last fall but now I am anxious to go as well as to go back to Prague. I am guessing you would enjoy a visit either to Krakow or Budapest and the train trip might be about the same, maybe a bit longer to Krakow. A visit to Krakow allows you to see Auschwitz though and you might find that experience moving. Otherwise, I would read up on both cities and see which one grabs you most.

I spent four nights in Prague and didn't find that too much time but probably on one trip that's plenty. There are some other interesting cities in Czech Republic. Browse a few travel books (I like Rick Steves' books) and see what jumps out at you.

Andrew
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I was in Prague a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with it - you will definitely enjoy your trip. When we were there, we spend about a week in Prague - spending 3 of those days on side trips to Karlovy Vary (a must), Loket Castle, and Kutna Hora (blah). After a week in Prague, we took a train to Vienna, stayed for a few days, and then continued on to Salzburg (absolutely beautiful). It was a very nice trip and taking the train was very enjoyable and stressful.

My parents just recently went back to Prague for 6 days and then flew to Budapest for 5 days (they thought 5 days was too much). They enjoyed Budapest and are glad they went, but we have all fallen in love with Prague. While in Prague, they took a day trip to Cesky Krumlov and they loved that town - even more so than Karlovy Vary.

So, while in Prague, I recommend taking side trips to Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary. As far as other countries during your trip, your options are endless... I think Austria and Budapest are terrific options. I can't speak for Krakow.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that the train rides were UNstressful....

Must proofread
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM

My spouse, who is in Warsaw this weekend (Grrr!) says "Krakow is nice -- you know, a bit like Prague..."

I personally find the Prague-Budapest pairing a fascinating option because they are so different yet:

Both are former Austro-imperial capitals (Prague briefly in the 1500s, Budapest under the Austro-Hungarian fusion of the second-half of the 19th C)

Both are bisected by a river -- the Vltava and the Danube

Each has a hilltop historic district with a huge castle

Each has, across the river, a flat business/ government district

But then the differences start to multiply.

Personally I found Prague quite IMpersonal, due to the press of tourists.

And Budapest is architecturally quite as interesting as Prague though in a more grandiose, 19th C way.

A work colleague says "Prague is Mozart, Budapest is Beethoven".

A little off in historic terms -- Budapest is really a creation of the post-1850 decades. But very true in atmospheric terms -- for "Beethoven" think proud, thundering, bombastic....
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I agree that Prague has become overrun with tourists, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I'd describe the difference between the two cities more in emotional terms. To me, Prague felt warm, intimate, and welcoming (I don't mean the people, I mean the place) whereas Budapest felt imposing and big, with more big, dark buildings that make it easier for a newcomer to get lost, harder to get comfortable with. Prague is very easy to navigate and quickly.

There were plenty of tourists in Budapest, too, when I was there, just not quite the mobs in Prague.

Andrew
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:20 PM
ed

Yep,
10 days in Prague is too much. We loved Budapest and Krakow.

I wouldn't presume to suggest a specific number of days.

Having said that I would think that two days Krakow would enough, if you had two whole days.

FWTW we have spent three days in Vienna and two days in Salzburg This enables you to "hit the high spots"

What ever you do have fun!!! :-B
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Haven't been to Budapest but I've heard wonderful things about the city.

Krakow is amazing and I think you would love it. However, unless you fly, it takes some time to get there by train. There is an overnight train, which you might consider. I believe travel time is around 8+ hours, day or night.

We flew, from Prague, to Krakow, on Czech Air. Very reasonable fare. You could also try a no-frills airline to see if they have flights between the two cities.

While getting to Krakow may prove a bit difficult, unless you fly, it is well worth the effort. The city offers a lively market square, with tons of restaurants, bars, & shops. The castle and cathedral are beautiful and very interesting. Auschwitz is an extremely memorable place to experience. The Salt Mines are like nothing you've ever seen before. The people are friendly...food is great and inexpensive, etc., etc. The city is a real treat!

Dresden is also a lovely city and we enjoyed it very much. If you do decide to stay close to Prague, it's a nice option. However, if you are intent on traveling to Budapest or Krakow, skip it.

Regarding the tourists in Prague: Cities aren't popular with tourists because they have nothing to offer. Prague is amazing and, therefore, a very popular destination. Yes, there can be hordes of people, but so what?
There are hordes of people in most popular cities. Just go and enjoy it all!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful info-I really appreciate it. I'm also wondering if anyone has any info on wine tasting in or around any of the areas I've mentioned-thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I'd like to encourage you to include Dresden. It's very different from Prague, and only a short train ride away (2.5 hours).

Since Dresden and the surrounding areas are a wine region wine tasting is available (and recommended!). We had an interesting thread about wine tasting/buying in a recent thread here on Fodors
(http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34767570)

Another reason for a visit of Dresden would be IMO that you can alternately do some hiking (or just go by train/steamboat and watch) in the National Park "Saxon Switzerland". The rocky sandstone formations, narrow valleys, vast forests, cute villages and scenic views are stunning!

Anyway, wine tasting closer to Prague is available in Melnik (north) and around Velke Pavlovice (south, farther).
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo! Would you happen to know if the wineries in the Dresden area require advance reservations or can you just stop by. I ask because we may rent a car and would therefore be able to cruise around, take in the area and stop at a couple of wineries. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM

The bigger wineries in the Dresden area don't require reservations. My first recommendation would be Schloss Wackerbarth (www.schloss-wackerbarth.de) in Radebeul, a second Schloss Proschwitz, Prinz zur Lippe near Meissen (www.schloss-proschwitz.de).

But there are of course private, smaller ones, especially in Radebeul and the surrounding of Meissen (Sörnewitz e.g.) where you'll have luck or not driving by - but you'll find some which are open and offer tastings I am sure.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo for all your help!