Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Augustiner Beerhall -Germany & Austria??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound like a silly question but I am finding info on the Augustiner Beerhall in both Munich and Salzburg - are there two different Augustiner Beerhalls run by monks? Please help as my husband really wants to visit but we are confused. We are visiting both cities. Thank you!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM

You're in luck. As a matter of fact we all are. The Augustiner Brewery has places in both towns and they are both great. By all means visit them both. I don't remember seeing any monks there... that may have been from long ago. The brewery was founded by monks back in the 1300's.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Haven't been to the one in Salzburg, but the Augustiner Keller in Munich is a great place to enjoy a liter and have lunch or dinner. It's close to the Hauptbahnhof and is less touristy than the Hofbrauhaus.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM
JN

Salzburg's is an awesome place. You can take a bus to about a block away and walk the remainer.

Go there around 5pm when many locals take in a brew in the outdoor seating area under the linden trees. Buy a pretzel or one of the snacks from the vendors and enjoy.

Indoor area is everything you think a former monastery Brauerei should be: wooden tables, murals, atmosphere. I've not been to Munich's, but if it is half of Salzburg's it will be very fun.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:15 AM
JN

Oops--I meant chestnut trees in Salzburg's Augustiner beer garden
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM

If you are going in May, order one of the dishes with Asparagus (Spargel). The Augustiner is one of my favorite places for lunch in Munich. They'' more than likely sit you at a table with others. A great way to meet some locals. (Haven't been to the one in Salzburg.) I also like the Ratskeller in Munich. (Make reservations for dinner.)
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
JN

Here's a great link to the Salzburg Augustiner Brauerei--pictures, description of food/beer, directions (including bus routes):
http://www.augustinerbier.at/pages/ebrauerei/agb.htm
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help!!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Salzburg.. wash your mug and sit next to the locals be sure to order a diacon radish curls!! One thing I missed was there was singing...maybe too early in the evening....??
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:34 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Bookmarking...1.5 months until my trip!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:36 AM

bookmarking- I want to be a part of the club!!! 2 1/2 months until our trip- Woopeeee!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM

mmm! Also if you get a chance and people sitting near you speak English, see what they have ordered to eat and get their take on it. I went to Augustiner Keller in Munich and could not decide on what to eat, so some people next to me made some recommendations (warning me that the portions were huge) and boy, was I full.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:55 AM

As far as I know there is no connection between the two Augustiners besides the name which refers to the Augustinian monks. Haven't been to the Munich one, but the Augustiner in Salzburg is definitely fun. They offer free parking during the opening hours to their customers. But don't drink and drive! However you can park your car, drink a beer, make a stroll through Salzburg and pick up your car when the beer is processed ...
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Haven't visited the one in Munchen, but have gone twice to the Augustiner beer hall in Salzburg. What a great experience. For what it's worth, my husband got a wicked case of food poisoning, apparently from a cream-filled cookie he purchased there. But the wurst, beer and atmosphere were worth the trek.
Here's the link:
http://www.augustinerbier.at/pages/estuebl/index.htm
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM

bookmarking - only 10 days to our trip!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM

This sounds like great fun. Bookmarking...of course. Barb
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM

The one in Salzburg is my favorite beerhall. I have not been to the one in Munich so I can't compare. The one is Slazburg has such a nice setting and aas other posters have stated, it is a place to see the locals and I beleive that they still tap the beer out of wooden barrels. When you are in Slazburg, try some bosnia, a local sausage sandwich,a local speciality. You can get these on the street at fast food stands.

The one in Salzburg is my favorite beerhall. I have not been to the one in Munich so I can't compare. The one is Slazburg has such a nice setting and aas other posters have stated, it is a place to see the locals and I beleive that they still tap the beer out of wooden barrels. When you are in Slazburg, try some bosnia, a local sausage sandwich,a local speciality. You can get these on the street at fast food stands. You

The one in Salzburg is my favorite beerhall. I have not been to the one in Munich so I can't compare. The one is Slazburg has such a nice setting and aas other posters have stated, it is a place to see the locals and I beleive that they still tap the beer out of wooden barrels. When you are in Slazburg, try some bosnia, a local sausage sandwich,a local speciality. You can get these on the street at fast food stands. You can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -