Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of a haunted chateau in the Loire Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning an overnight trip to the Loire Valley in October. I will be with my friend and her daughter, who are intrigued with the thought of staying overnight in a haunted chateau or castle. Sure, I realize there are many places in Europe that are haunted.....but do you have any experience with any in the Loire Valley?

I've researched previous posts and I know people say there aren't many ghosts in Paris--and that's OK! I think one night (with friends) is about all I can take when checking out European ghosts.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM

My experience with chateau-hotels is that they all feel haunted. So find a place and make up your best story about the Count de Whatever who built the place for his mistress and whose wife is still wandering the halls looking for the two philanderers...or something like that. Your friend and her daughter won't know the difference!
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Some english friends took me to one in Scotland and supposedly, mine was the most haunted. I really wanted to see a ghost and waited until I fell asleep. Alas, nothing But I did have heavy rain and whipping winds, so that I did feel like a damsel in a victorian novel.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Guy, at the risk of sounding like a total freak, I need to admit that I'm actually kind of a ghost magnet (once I get to a place with real ones). So we'd know the real thing!
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM

I wish I had the name of the place I stayed in the Loire, talk about ghosts!! There were moans and groans all night and believe me they weren't coming from my room, lol.

I will look at my notes if I can find them, it was a long time ago, but I suppose ghosts don't age and die off since they are already dead.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:55 PM

Are you sure it was ghosts? Perhaps just honeymooners?
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:08 PM

LOL

I'd be curious to see what people can find.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:35 PM

That is funny! but we were the only guests, wooooooo. Well, really there weren't moans and groans, I just said that for effect. But there were all kinds of other noises and a really eerie feeling and the owner and his family looked like they were cast doubles for the Addams Family.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin, this is too funny. My contact lenses are clouding over right now so when I first read your post I thought you said, <i>There were moans and groans all night and believe me they weren't coming from my <b>mom,</b> lol.</i>

And I had to think, why would your mom be moaning? OK OK 50 lashes for me....! Anyway, if you can find your notes on this place, that would be cool. Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:32 AM

A cultural point here : this search of haunted places is a very anglo-saxon fantasy. The French don't care much about ghosts. I can't imagine places advertising themselves to tourists as being &quot;haunted&quot;.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:44 AM

Forget the Loire..we stayed in a B+B once near Stratford which had been used for filming a actual &quot;horror&quot; flick. The place came complete with secret passages and an adorable Great Dane.

The only thing creepy about the place turned out to be the food but this was back in the early 70's.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM

If there is anything Scooby Doo taught me, it's that there is no such thing as ghosts. It's always a guy in a costume.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM

Hey Melissa! I found it!! I knew this was the trip where we were just driving all around France picking out hotels as we went along from my Relais &amp; Chateaux book. So I checked out their web page et voila!

http://www.chateaudemarcay.com/

It is a wonderful place to stay and they don't advertise ghosties but if you are sensitive to things like this like I am you will probably sense eerie things.

We stayed in the upper turret on the right in the photo. The hotel/castle looks like it has been updated since I was there. I have a photo somewhere of me hanging outside the window like Raphunzel. This is the room where I placed my bottle of pure lavender oil on the dresser and it flew off in the middle of the night and we almost choked to death on the fumes. And my husband and I both heard noises in the hallways and in the grounds in the evening! And he didn't admit it until years later.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Seaurchin, that's perfect! Thanks!

It looks so beautiful....

Thanks for humoring me. I know I must sound like I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM

Nah, that is part of the fun of staying in those old castles and houses!

Just think of the trip report you will write! Have fun!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Sea Urchin, I have some questions for you about the area, where to eat, etc.....can I email you?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Hi, I will try and answer any questions but it has been a few years and others might have more recent recs. but we can give it a try, [email protected].
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM

We definitely want a trip report when you get back, Melissa! Or at least a post on the Travel and the Paranormal thread!

Have fun!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM

ttt for Ryan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -