Why Be Scared?

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Be Scared?

I did not want to highjack the thread about seeking out haunted castles in the Loire Valley, but I am really curious about this.

Why in the world would anyone want to stay somewhere with the thought of ghosts??? What sort of thrill comes along with the prospect of a "haunting?"

I realize that I may be in the minority, but one of the first questions I asked when I made reservations at a B and B in London was "Is this place considered to be haunted?" I know the innkeeper thought I was a nut, but this is critical information to my comfort.

As I have said in other threads, my intellect tells me one thing and my nerves transmit something else at the thought of haunted anything.

I've stayed at various places where I was told during the stay that there was a resident ghost. Not happy news for me. My DH fell asleep in 2 seconds as is his habit, and me? Well, I lay awake all night long and spent the next day as haggard as any spirit that ever lingered.

Come to think of it . . . maybe that's what they meant . . .

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I'd like to meet a ghost if they do exist as long as they are friendly. but seriously, alot of places use that as a hype to get you there.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:09 PM

Well - since I don;t believe in ghosts I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Now if you had a hotel with an alien (from another planet - not another country) that would be worth going to visit.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM

I went on one of those ghost tours in Key West (I was forced to go on it and actually had a great time!) Well, a major stop was in front of a particular bed and breakfast where we heard chilling stories of guests who were terrorized by ghosts. When I asked the guide how the bed and breakfast felt about this being part of the tour, he said "they LOVE it!"

I don't really believe in ghosts myself, but I certainly wouldn't stay in that b & b after hearing these stories.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM

"I realize that I may be in the minority, but one of the first questions I asked when I made reservations at a B and B in London was "Is this place considered to be haunted?" I know the innkeeper thought I was a nut, but this is critical information to my comfort."

The innkeeper was right.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Flyfish, aren't you sweet?

Bless your heart.

Old May 31st, 2006, 06:25 PM

Being scared in the fictional way is really fun for me! I love haunted houses, getting snuck up on and "boo-ed". . . it is really a rush! I would totally stay somewhere with the promise of a haunting. That said, I would make sure I had someone with me to hold on tight to.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM

>>Well - since I don;t believe in ghosts I can't see what all the fuss is about.<<

Not following you around here, nytraveler.... honest! But are we to interpret this to mean that ghosts exist for some, but not others? Or, because you don't believe in them, they don't exist at all?
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM

The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Ghost
The Canterville Ghost
Topper
The Uninvited
Blithe Spirit

There are sooo many good stories/movies with ghosts that I wish I would stay in a hotel somewhere and meet one.
I would rather a ghost next door than a loud couple arguing or a family with cranky babies.
If you were to stay in a hotel that was haunted and no one told you, would you sleep ok?
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:01 PM

well, I'm in the camp of nytraveler, I don't believe in them, either, so no, it isn't a concern for me. I do think that if you don't believe in them, they don't exist. Lots of things only exist in certain people's minds, not in reality.

I don't really think anyone who is interested in haunted anything expects to be scared. They find it interesting, I guess.

Now there is a certain addiction to being scared, or you wouldn't have people going on many amusement park rides. I don't understand that, either, and have never been interested in such rides, even as a child. I think this is a desire for the chemical reaction, adrenaline or something. I don't understand that at all.

Ghosts are cultural, anyway, and much more common in England, which tells you something about whether they exist or not.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:03 PM

A part of me believes in otherworldly spirits, and I try not to bother them, incur their wrath, raise any spirits, etc. along the way in general.

Having said that, if I know there's been hauntings in that place, I have a hard time sleeping there. Unless it's my own family haunting me, in which case, I hope they have my best interest in mind!!!

But you're definitely not in the minority, Loisde. I'm with you. I don't want to knowingly sleep where ghosts reside. I'd much rather be happily ignorant and be comfortably asleep.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM

Good question Scarlett...

If you don't know about it does that mean it doesn't exist?

I would love to meet the Ghost in the Ghost and Mrs. Muir or Topper...They were pretty cool Ghosts...I just love a good Ghost Story and haunted houses.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM

I love reading about hauntings and ghost stories...I just don't want to sleep with them!

Consider me a ~gt;, a scardy . If something goes bump in the night, I'm outta there!
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:12 PM

Vagabond, one of my favorite Topper books is "topper takes a trip" he goes to Nice and the ghost Marion, spouse and dog go too. A funny chapter I remember when he buys a pair of sneakers and the two ghosts put a pair on and walk out behind him.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:19 PM

And Scarlett, that dog loved martinis!!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:25 PM

I think there's a danger in thinking that if you don't believe in something, it doesn't exist. What if you're wrong?

I didn't believe in ghosts either, until I had what I thought was an encounter with one. (Is there an emoticon for a ghost?)
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:35 PM

LOL mimi chin chin to Pastis from Pup ((&))

beachbum, I never give ghosts much thought, but there are people I really loved who are no longer alive, so if one of them were a ghost, I would be happy to see them or have them visit me
You can walk in any old building in France or England and think that with all the drama and all those lives spent within those walls, why would not some residual ghostly whispers be heard, some soft touch be felt ?
If I am going to be afraid, it is going to be fear of illness or carjackers or more war..ghosts should be the last thing anyone worries about
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:07 PM

>>If I am going to be afraid, it is going to be fear of illness or carjackers or more war..ghosts should be the last thing anyone worries about<<

Agreed, Scarlett. But to say they don't exist simply because someone doesn't believe in them...
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:16 PM

>>If I am going to be afraid, it is going to be fear of illness or carjackers or more war..ghosts should be the last thing anyone worries about<<

Well, that there is the problem with this world. No one is scared of ghosts, so when they come around getting us sick, jacking our cars and fighting in our wars, we have to blame it on "real" people. I promote the fear of ghosts and you should, too! Heed my warnings.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM

There is no record of ghosts ever harming any living person in any way, so even if you believe in them, there's no reason to be scared of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -