Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

question about car ferry from drvenik to sucuraj (hvar).....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jadrolinija says no reservations needed. does this ferry hold many cars? we will be going sunday june 11............
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:23 AM
Syl

Jack,
Are you actually planning to drive from Sucuraj to Hvar? I've been told by many not to attempt it because of the terrible condition of the road, hairpin,cliffside, slick when wet, crazy local drivers,etc.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the heads-up syl. has anyone on this board made the drive?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Syl

Jack,
I posted the question a while back on the Visit Croatia Message Board & was told about the road. To confirm, I emailed Hotel Croatia as well as an apartment owner in Sucuraj & got the same reply.My husband & I had a terrifying experience with similar Crete roads where,on every turn, there's a memorial box (or 2 or 3).We still, hopefully, have many good years ahead of us so we're playing it safe.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Jack,
I got similar responses from this board – in the end we decided to take the ferry back to Split and drive from there to Dubrovnik. I am afraid of heights, so driving on a narrow road with hairpin turns and drop-offs with no railings is a NO-NO.

Syl,
We had a similar terrifying experience in Nova Scotia, now we’re playing it safe, too
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Syl

If I remember correctly, Jack, aren't you going with a pregnant wife? Hmmm.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks syl and xyz! guess we will pass on that idea. sly, we are now grandparents. if my wife is pregnant we are in deep doo! hey, did you stay at hotel croatia? how did you like it?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Syl

Oops, I somehow got you mixed up with another guy on this board who's wife is pregnant. Sorry. I'm also a grandparent & loving every minute of the luxury of freedom to travel at this age.We're doing the trip in Sept. Take notes &, as I said in your other post, enjoy, be safe, as we look forward to your trip report.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM

We did this drive last week - or, rather Hvar to Sucuraj. A complete doddle. Wonderful views. Yes, it's a bit twisty in parts and not a fast road (2 hours including some stops for gawping at the scenery) but the road surface fine. My usually quite nervous passenger loved every kilometre.

You'll be missing a truly memorable experience if you don't do it. Take your time - stop and pick some of the wild rosemary growing alongside the road, pop it on the dashboard of your car and enjoy the scent.

The ferry is not too big: not sur eif you can book in advance but if so, then do. We joined a long queue and only just got on - many behind us had another hour or so wait.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Syl

We've decided to take the Jad car ferry from Stari Grad to Korcula to save time & nerves.We'll stop for a few hours in Korcula & get on the car ferry to Orebic on our way to Dub.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:08 AM

That's a good option, too, as the drive from Orebic to Dubrovnik is lovely. Ston is worth a stop (they claim that the wall at Ston is second only to the Great Wall of China in length...) but if you like seafood, then Mali Ston, a km out of Ston on the Dubrovnik road, is for you - it's the mollusc centre of Dalmatia. Go right past the first, most obvious, restaurant, negotiate a sharp left corner around a tower and there are two more restaurants right on the water: the second one as you approach is operated by a family and the lady who cooks is one of Croatia's best known chefs - justifiably, too.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Syl...I am trying get my head around all of this! Whew this is hard work. When the ferry leaves Korkula and goes to Orebic...then do you drive to Dubrovnik?

I was thinking of Getting on the ferry with our car from Split to Hvar,spending 2 nights there and then taking a ferry to korkula,spending one night and then the next night I wanted to stay in Markaska before driving to Dubrovnik the following day?????HELP
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM

pepnjak

I've just posted a reply to your earlier question about the ferries with the website. Mail me directly if you'd like. If you get the ferry Hvar/Korcula then the little ferry to Orebic (back onto the Mainland)(and as opposed to Korcula/Dubrovnik) you'll have to go well North to Markaska when you really want to go South to Dubrovnik. If you're keen on Karkaska, then don't take the ferry Hvar/Korcula but drive along Hvar island and get the ferry at Sucuraj to Drvenik - you'll still have to go North but a much shorter distance. See my earlier post in this topic - since when I have spoken to my passenger who says it was a wonderful drive!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Syl

pepnjak, Alan is right.We're transfering onto the Korcula-Orebic ferry (48 kuna with car),driving through the peninsula onto Dubrovnik.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks..I pulled out my large map(detailed) and now see what I need to do. I think I will board the ferry from Split to Hvar on Sept 13,stay two nights on Hvar and then ferry to Korkula on the 15th,stay one night, ferry to Orebic and then enjoy a days drive meandering and finding a place to stay and then on the 17 arrive in Dubrovnik in the morning...find our apartment and enjoy Dubrovnik and area for 3 days and then head Norht to Istra and back to Venice. Thankyou Thankyou..I am getting a grip on all of this.Vela Luka is our sister city for the little Croatian club we belong to...so good to go to Korkula.Thankyou again.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Syl...Did you make reservations on these ferries or are you waiting until you get to Croatia? Where is the best place to make a booking? I am going to follow you lead!!

Thanks,Pep