Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

THINGS TO DO IN AND AROUND LISBON PART III (Inc Portugal)

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to this third instalment of the Lisbon and Portugal thread/blog: the two previous can be found at...

THINGS TO DO IN AND AROUND LISBON PART I

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34740328

THINGS TO DO IN AND AROUND LISBON PART II (Inc Portugal)

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34785948

Again I wish to thank all the previous contributors for making it such a success and look forward to meeting more of you in the future.

I'll be coming up with some interesting fresh ideas for Part III and I am excited as you are to see where this takes us all.

So the red ribbon is cut, the drum role is over - I declare the new blog oficially open!

Happy travels, Matt.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

kenderina - there's always one isn't there... ;-)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I'm sorry Matt, your post should be the last..I just couldn't resist to say it !!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Kenderina, the next time you are coming to Portugal to see your "old man", please let us know and Matt and I will organize for sure a LDC meeting with you as a guest of honour. Right Matt?
After we had the pleasure of meeting so many Portuguese and Americans, it will be great to have one fine Spanish Lady joining us.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Sure I will do !! And I hope it to be soon..maybe for the autumn I got really envious when I read that you went to see Dulce Pontes at the Castle..I love her voice !!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a possibility I might be in Portugal in July. I tried to read the first two threads in this series but it is a daunting task! So forgive me in advance if I ask questions that have been covered before.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM

And the Galician singer Uxía Senlle was on stage singing some songs along with Dulce Pontes and some of her own. Uxia performed in Portuguese, with lyrics from 16th century epic poet Camoes. It was a high moment included in a magnificent show.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I don't know Uxía Senlle but I know Camoes, my mom even knows to say a poem from him by heart It has to be beautiful !
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Nikki, Portugal is waiting for you. Please feel free to ask anything you like. If already answered, we are happy to copy and paste (we do this quite well)
When and when in July?
Matt, I think we'd better to set up LDC meeting dates in advance. Maybe once a month. I don't know if you noticed but I'm getting fat, and I think I should blame Fodors for this situation.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Joao..the Sogra's Inn has nothing to do ?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Lobo, Matt, et al:

(Partial repost from previous thread)

I check the thread soon after waking, just before work, at lunchtime, just before I leave work and (sometimes) before going to bed. - At least it's not an obsession!

Changed our plans so we fly out of PIT instead of NYC, into Lisbon and out of Porto. We end up with a full day (layover) in Madrid, which I hope will prove to be exciting also.

Is anyone familiar with Moimenta Da Beira ? The parents of a 'sorta half sister' live there and we're thinking of visiting.

Current thoughts on itinerary -
Lisbon - 3 days/nights
Peniche/Obidos 1 day/night
Meandering drive to Moimenta Da Beira (ideas on places to eat/stay along the way ?)
Porto (sister of 'sorta half sister') 1 or 2 days - maybe spend a day on the train.

I'm very eager to learn what people have found about renting cars. Current plan is rent in Lisbon and drop off in Porto.

David
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

So with this new thread I wish to propose a couple of ideas:

Lisbon Dining Club reports to be contained within a new dedicated thread and links posted from here thus to keep the size down.

Trip reports, both mine and from other posters, (eg Lyn's) to be hosted again under a dedicated thread with links posted again within this thread.

It is to keep the actual size of the thread itself reduced to a more managable size and even though there may be 500 posts at the end it won't take as long to scroll through.

What say the members of the board?

And can anyone else come up with other ideas - perhaps some cutting and pasting of relevant material from the last two blogs?

(And a better spell checking procedure from myself ;-))

Anyway, welcome aboard once again.

Matt

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

A VERY SPECIAL TRAIN JOURNEY.

I have posted a report about Saturday's historic steam train journey through Lisbon herebr />
150 YEARS OF PORTUGUESE RAILWAYS.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34816818

It's a long report and I though it be better placed within its own thread, and plus it will be easier to locate when I send the links to the responsible persons at C.P. I have a number of other photos taken during this event should you wish to see them.

And yes, I did actually get to interview the Portuguese Secretary of State for Transport.

Hope you like it, feedback appreciated.

Matt
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM

dwsnyder.
I am renting our car in October from: www.economycarrentals.com

Now, I have rented in Portugal before from www.carjet.com. I was very happy with them and the price last year. The car was from Budget at the Lisbon airport.

This year, the price is not as good as Economy, so I am willing to try someone new.

I rent an automatic so if you rent a manual you can find good deals just about everywhere. It is much harder with an automatic.

sarasara is going to be the test case as she will attempt to pick up a car at the Lisbon airport from Economy. I hope all goes well with her. I am sure she will post. She is renting this month.

Pittsburgh is our home airport. I hope you enjoy your experience there. I would be glad to answer any questions about the airport if you haven't been through before.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Hi guys. We will be in Portugal in July - in Lisbon from the 15th to the 20th (after 6 days of driving around the countryside). Do you have any LDC plans for that time?

Nikki - when are you going to be there?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Isabel we always have plans for a LDC meeting. Consider one scheduled for one night during those dates ;-)

Matt
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Okay so I'm filling in my diary, can the following posters confirm their dates for me please:

Dwsnyder
HenryandCasper
Sarasara
Sher
Namaka
Byoung4u2

Thanks in advance, hope I haven't missed anybody out.

Matt
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM

We will be in Portugal Oct-15- Oct 28 but only in Lisbon from Oct.24-28.

I will have my cell phone with me. Right now I am planning to use the International SIM that I purchased.

But I could change that to a Portuguese SIM, haven't really decided.

Also, will post our address as soon as we decide. We are waiting for Namaka to report on the apartment.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Matt, I find your ideas to keep the thread size very very useful.
Maybe you can do the cutting and pasting from the other two blogs not here in fodors but in a permanent website and then add the link here. I really think a website (even a little one) with practical info on Lisbon and Portugal(to say, the one that is in the other blogs) would be great too , what do you think ?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Ok Matt, Good idea. I will copy and paste trip report parts one and two along with the posts of pictures from Sintra and add some new ones of Evora. Eventually, I will get to part three Cascais and Lisbon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -