Scotland Map question

Search

Scotland Map question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Map question

I have been using the Michelin 501 map of Scotland to plan our upcoming trip next month. Is that the only road map we will need or is there a more detailed road map that we should order or buy when we get to Edinburgh?

This map is so large and bulky. Are there smaller area maps available?

Those who have been in Scotland, what maps did you use?

Thanks,

Ginny
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM

We use the 501 and a book map. We bought the book map in Scotland on our first trip and use it every time. It has a greateer amount of detail than the 501 - looks like one more level of smaller roads. Although it is fairly large, it has a spiral spine and folds flat. It is easier to deal with in the car than a large one page map (don't have to unfold, etc.) We bring it back each time by putting it in the outside pocket or flat on the bottom of our suitcase. The one we have is the Collins Road Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland, but there are other brands. I still bring the big map for overview planning (don't have to be turning pages as often).
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely get a road atlas. It will be <u>much </u>easier to use than a fold out map. But don't buy one in the States - they are easy to find in places like Borders and Barnes and Noble, but cost about $25.

In the UK just about every petrol station, news agent, etc will have them - usually at some sort of promotional price.

the most common are AA but Michelin, Philip's, Collins, and several others are widely available.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Don't forget the Internet

Both the AA http://www.theaa.com/
and the RAC http://www.rac.co.uk/
have really detailed route planners.

Canon Chasuble and I use the RAC one a lot.
I'd second the idea of buying a road atlas when you get there
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:59 PM

We found a great UK road atlas -- probably Collins-- and very cheap (maybe GBP 2.95), at a motorway rest area. Also a good spot for topping up your phone with more prepaid minutes (great system, wish we had it in the US).
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM

You can often pick up the AA road atlas for 2 or 3 GBP. They seem to issue a new one every year and the old ones end up in book clearance shops like Bargain Books or The Works which are found in almost every town of any size. The maps are a good scale for driving, the pages are big which doesn't suit everyone but this means you're more likely to have the whole journey on a single page. The road network doesn't change much in two or three years so you won't get irretrievably lost with a slightly out of date atlas.
AA and RAC online route planners are usually good but they can give crazy results for some journeys. Look on a proper map at the route they suggest and see if it looks sensible.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Our atlas is from 1999 (was &pound;10 new), and I'm thinking that we will probably replace it the next time we will be driving in the UK. This summer's trip looks like it will be all public transportation so I may not even bring it, but will be on the lookout for a used one. My husband cannot pass a bookstore without getting sucked in.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the very helpful replies. It looks like the best bet is to wait until we get there and buy a road atlas. We'll have 2.5 days in Edinburgh before we get our car. I am sure we will find a book store downtown somewhere.

Ginny
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM

I think we bought ours at bookstore at the airport on arrival.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:04 AM

Wait till you get to a good bookshop, and buy a road atlas based on the Ordnance Survey- AA or RAC, I'd suggest- at the largest scale you're comfortable with.

Something like this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...901657-9841409

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I second Craig : wait until you get to Edinburgh &amp; buy a road atlas discounted to &pound;2 at one of the bargain book shops on Princes Street.