International License for Rental Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on renting a car for 8 days in Italy to travel around Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. Auto Europe highly recommends getting an International License; (not mandatory). They say if the police stop you and you do not have one, the fine is rather high.
Anyone done done this or is this just a "money grab"?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM

It's true..if an Italian policeman stop you and he is unable to understand English then he cannot be sure that you have a real driving license and it's not a fake one...so he fines you (high !) for being without a valid driving license. A few dollars don't deserve the risk, really.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Hi Travel_Bug_Can. what under the Italian law you need to have when driving in Italy if you are a resident of the US is an International Driving Permit. This IDP translates your US state drivers license into several different languages including Italian.

You can easily get this IDP at your local AAA office (or via their website). You do not have to be a member of AAA to obtain this. I think AAA charges $10.00. Plus you need to provide two passport type photos. I think AAA will take that photo and their cost is $10.00. the IDP is good for one year.

We always did this. My Italian born and bred SIL who is now a resident of CA obtained the IDP when he went back to Rome last year as his Italian drivers license had expired and consequently the only valid drivers license he had was a CA drivers license. A cost of $20.00 per driver is certainly money well spent so that you will be in compliance with the Italian law when driving in Italy.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Hi Travel, I forgot to mention. When you go to Italy you take your International Drivers Permit AND your US state drivers license with you as again the IDP only translate what is on your US state drivers license.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Hi:
We are still puzzling over the fact that although everyone says you need an International License in Italy, and my husband got one--when he presented it to the Auto Europe desk in Venice, the woman said, "No, I want to see your real driver's license. This is no good. They just tell you that you need it to make money." I don't know who her "they" is, and obviously she has not read her company policy. Seems weird that she wants the "real" license, when all the information is transmitted on the International license.

Vera
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Vera, usually (and one time we had an exception) rental car companies in Italy do not care to see the IDP. But under Italian law if you are stopped by an law enforcement person (traffic violation, traffic accident or whatever) you are again under the Italian law required to have an IDP along with your country's actual drivers license.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
vera - as LoveItaly says, The rental agency usually doesn't care one way or the other. It is the Italian police who will definitely want to see one.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Car rental companies always ask to see your 'real' drivers licence is because it also serves as a form of identification - full name and home address of hirer of vehicle.

The IDP is purely for law enforcement agencies such as the police.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Do the Austrian and French police require an IDP or is an American license enough?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:23 AM

You should get one in any country, not just Italy. Its just a translation of your actual license and easy to get as described earlier.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Two years ago when I rented a car in Austria, the rental car company required an IDP and the agent asked for it before I could take the car.
Things may have changed. I don't know about the police there.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi,

Italy and Austria both require the IDP in addition to your driver's license.

It is available in the US from the AAA for $10.

AutoEurope doesn't make any money on the IDP.

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Always have one. Only needed it once in about 20 trips. But, it's like everything else, when you need it, it's very important.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM

It's so easy to get and so cheap...just seems dumb not to get one !
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM

An IDP is not required in France or Germany (I rented cars in both countries) but some rental agencies may still require it. If you're paranoid about a local police officer not being able to read your American license, an IDP would not be a bad idea.

In Italy an IDP IS required, so do get one.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM

We are going to Germany and Austria, so I got an IDP the other day. Easiest thing ever. I just showed up at the AAA office, filled out a form, showed them my license, had my picture taken, and gave them $25. I was out of there in 15 minutes with my IDP. If I had gone in with passport-like photos of myself, it would have only been $10.

Totally easy and not expensive.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM

We just got back from a driving trip through France and Italy. My husband purchased an International Driving License from AAA for $10. They take your photo for the license for free. Unfortunately, prior to renting the car in Paris, he lost his wallet, which included his Arizona driver's license. He still had the International DL. When we went to rent the car at Hertz in Orly Airport, they needed my Arizona driver's license. Luckily, I had it with me. They also refused to accept the American Express credit card. They wanted Visa or MasterCard only. We were also told that Italian police will accept the International license only. I cannot verify or refute this as we never got stopped even though my husband accidentally ran red lights in Rome and went in and out of lanes without signalling!! I would still get the license for peace of mind, but be sure to bring your "real" driver's license. Have other licensed drivers bring theirs in case of emergencies such as ours.