Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Off the beaten path...Hive Honey Shop & other unusual markets or shops to explore

London: Off the beaten path...Hive Honey Shop & other unusual markets or shops to explore

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I much prefer visiting quaint and somewhat unusual shops and food markets (rather than Harrods). Any intersting suggestions?

Has anyone been to the Hive Honey Shop? It's located on Northcote Road (near Clapham). How far of a train ride would it be from Piccadilly?

Thanks so much. Less than 3 weeks and counting!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM

DH and I had a great time at Borough Market in Southwark last year. They have all kinds of interesting foods, and there are interesting shops nearby. Next time we're in London, we're going to rent a flat so we can shop at Borough Market and cook.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:56 PM

Yes! Borough Market is must on any trip we take to London. You could even do the further end of POrtobello market on a Saturday..we like the antiques end but the further you go up the road you'll find veg and food stuffs.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
amaclise

Clapham is not a bad ride. I go see friends there quite often. There is a bus that you can take from the King's Road that drops you at Clapam Common. I think you could walk from there...

I like Clerkenwell as a neighborhood to wander around and also Hampstead Heath

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
amaclise

Meant to add you can take the train as well - can't remember which station... I'm thinking Victoria...

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM

Neal's Yard Dairy, sells wonderful artisanal cheeses:
17 Shorts Gardens, Covent Garden,
London WC2H 9UP
Tel +44 (0)20 7240 5700
http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/

A. Gold is a specialty food shop located in Spitalfields in the East End:
"We have scoured the United Kingdom for people producing high-quality food in small amounts, using the best ingredients and traditional recipes."
42 Brushfield Street London E1 6AG (closed Sat.) +44 (0) 20 7 247 2487
http://www.agold.co.uk/default.asp

Daunt Books is an original Edwardian bookshop in Marylebone High Street:
"The soul of Daunt Books is the unique arrangement of books by country - where guides, novels and non-fiction of all kinds will interest traveller and browser alike.
"Natural light further fills the children's room full of books for all ages. Here you will also find large sections devoted to gardening, cookery, style and interior design.
"The galleries hold second-hand travel literature, whilst the front rooms are home to new titles of every category. Here, and throughout the shop, displays suggest the very best books we have read and loved."
83 Marylebone High Street, W1U 4QW
0207 224 2295
http://www.dauntbooks.co.uk/
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM

Grrr!
I forgot to copy my message.
This site is still being a pain.
I am another fan of A Gold.
Don't forget to try the Yorkshire Brack.
Spitalfields is well worth a visit.
It has a fine market, a magnificant church and a restaurant Canteen that serves English food http://www.canteen.co.uk/
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:58 AM

Piccadilly to Northcote Road:

Victoria Line from Green Park to Victoria or Vauxhall, then suburban train to Clapham Junction. Northcote Road is one of the roads off the main crossroads at the foot of the hill outside the station.

Alternatively bus 38 to Victoria, then proceed as above or bus 239 which goes down Northcote Road.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:33 AM

There are quite a few interesting shops in Northcote Rd – and some decent restaurants. Philglas and Swigget* is an interesting wine merchant, and there is the Osteria Antiqua which sells Roman inspired meals (which are rather nice)

*I lived in Lavender hill for a year (which is nearby) and I never noticed that this is a joke name.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Beautiful!

I'll look forward to checking our your recommendations when I return from work later today!

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Another Fodorite recommended Borough Market, so it is on my list to do.

Oh my! Noe847, I just checked out your links to Neils Yard and A. Gold...yummmm! Their plum bread looks fabulous! I think my DH and I will be picnicking often.

david_west, can you recommend a restaurant or two in the area of Northcote Road? Thanks.

PatrickLondon, thank you for the directions.

Has anyone heard anything of the Hive Honey Shop?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Must bookmark