Venice Airport to Hotel

Search

Venice Airport to Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Airport to Hotel

I may be more worried than I need be, but.. this is our first trip to Europe. We are flying into Venice, spending the night and the next day going on a cruise to Greek Isle and ending up in Rome. I plan to pack as little as possible, however, we do have formal nights on the cruise. My concern is the trip from Venice airport to the Piazzale Roma to St. Marks to our Hotel. Our hotel does not have any transporation for us. There will be 4 adults, 4 large/medium suitcases and 4 carryons. What is the best transportation. Water Taxi, Bus, what? I'm am confused. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Best as in cheapest or easiest? I would take a water taxi for 4 of you. It's pricey (~85-90e) but fastest option and certainly easiest, especially if your hotel has a water dock.

Here's what I wrote a while ago describing the various options

Roughly there are 4 ways of getting into Venice from Marco Polo airport

1. Alilaguna= this a public water bus that only goes from the airport. Info on alilaguna.com The cost is about 10/euros a person. There are 2 different lines. It makes a number of stops. It takes about an hour and 10 minutes to get to Venice proper. You will have to find your way to your hotel from the stops. Major stops in Venice are near San Marco and also one of the lines goes to the Zattere which is convenient for those staying in Dorsoduro. You can buy tickets either inside the airport terminal or at the boat dock.

2. Land bus to P Roma/train station. This is the cheapest. You take a land bus for about 2-3/euros/person. It's a 20 minute drive. You would then take a vaparetto (local water bus) to the nearest stop for your hotel. Vaparetto prices are on Actv.it website with info on this bus and also the vaparetto stops/schedules. This is best if your hotel is near the train station or along the Grand Canal nearer there than San Marco.

3. Land taxi as above and then vaparetto. The taxi would be about 20e and then the vaparetto (see info on actv.it site about various passes.)

4.water taxi This is the most expensive and also the fastest and easiest. It should cost 80-85e for up to 6 people If your hotel is on a canal, they will drop you right at your hotel dock

A water taxi usually takes 20-40 minutes so it's much faster than the alilaguna which makes stops at some of the outer islands. The water taxi leaves from the same area as the alilaguna.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM

With 4 people, you might want to opt for the private water taxi-the price is per boat, not per person, so you'd definitely come out ahead-I think the cost is now around E100-110 (rates went up this year on just about everything) plus you get a beautiful view of Venice coming down the Grand Canal to boot.

Another viable option is to go the new Alilaguna Gold Line, (just started a couple of months ago- April 2006) a special boat service from the Venice Airport dock DIRECT to San Marco/San Zaccaria for Euro 25pp. The difference between this boat and the regular Alilaguna is that it doesn't stop all along the way to the other islands-what is normally a 70 min. trip is shorter -there are NO stops between the airport and San Marco.

The boats leave on the hour starting at 9:25am-here is the website for the times:

http://www.alilaguna.com/?funzione=2...=53&modo=6

Either one of these options would be preferable and less hassle than the bus to P. Roma, which necessitates another transfer to a boat, particularly in your case, since you apparently are staying near San Marco.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM

This same question was asked 3 times today.I wish people including newbies would scoll down to the top 100+ threads and read the various questions.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM
JBX

A good link that explains the options, prices and how-to's of transportation between Venice and the Marco Polo Airport > > >
http://www.cheapvenice.com/getting-t...water-taxi.htm
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM

What you have to remember is that each bridge has a set of stairs up and a set of stairs down. So if there are bridges between where a bus lets you off and your hotel, that means you are lugging your suitcases up and down stairs. I'd spring for a water taxi. but if your hotel isn't right on a canal, you'll still have walking to do.