Paris: Opera or Cabaret?

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris: Opera or Cabaret?

I'm looking for tickets for one of those events..

What do people recommend mostly

1. Moulin ROuge
2. Opera house
3. Au Lapin agile (i dont speak french..)
4. anything else?

Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I'll take a swag.

Moulin Rouge, quite expensive, and may be less "local" and more "tourist". If you must go, eat somewhere else and go to a late show only. There is also the Lido and Crazy Horse.

Add on the Palais Garnier as a potential venue (old Opera house, phantom of the opera location) They have ballet and other performances there.

Do a search here for Lapin Agile, I believe it may be geared to locals and as such, with no french...

Classical concerts are offered throughout Paris in old churches. Neat to hear and sit in period location. St Julien le Pauvre is one of oldest churches in Paris and has regular concerts. Another good one is at Sainte Chapelle ( a must see even without concert - stained glass perfection) they have a candlight evening concert.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Neopolitan

The quality of production at either Opera Garnier (used mostly for ballet now) or the newer opera house at Bastille (more operas) is very high and you can't go wrong at either.

I've heard and read enough negativity about the awful food, the high prices, the crowds and smoke, and the tacky show at Moulin Rouge to know I have no desire to go.

And I don't think I'd appreciate the very French show at Lapin Agile.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I don;t think you will "get" a lot of Lapin Agile without at least basic French (2/3 years worth in school).

As for the others - it depends on what you like.

I love all ballet, enjoy some operas but can do without others (ie Wagner) and hate vaudeville (which is how I classify the Moulin Rouge). But then I also hate the Radio City Muscial Hall Christmas Spectacular - IMHO a complete waste of money except for getting to see the theater - which I had already done dozens of time since I was about 6.

I would check the schedule of performances while you are there to see if you might enjoy the opera or ballet - and if so get tickets ASAP.

Also - check out other musical performances - several years ago we saw a concert performance by Kiri Te Kanawa which was shattering.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM

While the Lapin Agile is filled with tourists, most of them do not get much out of it--especially the comedy bit (very difficult to follow even with years of French study). Unless you are really comfortable with French, I would give it a pass.

I do agree with the suggestion regarding concerts in churches. I especially recommend the ones at Ste Chappelle with the Les Archets de Paris playing Vivaldi. You generally do not need reservations for those.

Insofar as buying a ticket to something like the Opera Garnier and the like, tickets are expensive (as they would be anywhere) and you will be tired from a full day walking all over Paris. If you decide on evening entertainment, you might want to adjust your sightseeing that day to a more relaxed pace and plan on sleeping late the next morning.

There is nothing more annoying than being so exhausted that you fall asleep at a performance or do not go at all after paying for the ticket. There was one time at the Edinburgh International Festival where I had an expensive opera ticket and knew I was too tired to attend and enjoy it. I stayed home. Such is life.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM

We went to the ballet at Opera Bastille--bought tickets months in advance online--and LOVED it, but I love ballet. Like NYtraveler, I don't like vaudeville and such, but if you do, you might enjoy Moulin Rouge. In any case, it depends on what you like, but I'd suggest getting tickets in advance.

If you like jazz (we do), there are lots of places--we enjoyed Le Bilboquet.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Neopolitan

There is a wide range of ticket prices to Opera Garnier. I believe our tickets this summer were 20 euro each. While they were way high up they were in the center and the view was great. That is a fraction of the cost of something like Moulin Rouge and so much more worth it.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

I checked for the opera tickets on the main opera website and I see only 1 price (130 euro) tickets available..

where do you get the 20 euro tickets?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM

There might not be any available for the date/performance you want, if they aren't offered. It sounds like you are talking about an opera, also (as I think the top ballet tickets are around 80 euro), and opera costs more than ballet. They do have some real cheap opera tickets on sale sometimes, though, although they may be obstructed view, I'm not sure.

But, if there aren't any offered for your selection, you can't get them.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If an operetta is being staged at the Opéra Comique, you might like that.

Also there is a very kitsch operetta being staged at the Théâtre du Châtelet soon with top stars -- it is playing at the end of September, but I think it comes back to Paris in November. "Le Chanteur de Mexico."
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Last resort:

www.parisinfo.com

There are two kiosks in Paris specializing in the sale of half-price theatre seats for the same day (12.30pm to 8pm Tuesday to Saturday and 12.30pm to 4pm on Sunday):

15, place de la Madeleine 75008
Metro: Madeleine

Esplanade de la Tour Montparnasse 78014
Metro: Montparnasse-Bienvenüe

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM

How would we find out about classical concerts in a church? That sounds like a lovely experience.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will find everything in the weekly Pariscope (40 euro cents) or l'Officiel des Spectacles (30 euro cents), both of which come out on Wednesday. At every newsstand.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Neopolitan

What opera were you checking on, sunkara21? And which opera house and what date? Oddly enough, when I've checked I usually find more cheap tickets still available than the top price ones. Which site are you looking at?

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking for La Clemenza de Tito at Palais Garnier anytime between Sept 18 - 22

(but their 19 and 22nd shows seem to be sold out... ..
http://www.operadeparis.fr/)
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:10 AM

With Christoph Prégardien and Anna Caterina Antonacci in the cast, I would NOT miss La Clemenza. These two are superb and truly unique singers. Elina Garanca is also a big name today, but unfotunately, I have still not had the opportunity to listen to her.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM

And how about some Haydn symphonies? there are two concerts at the Cité de la Musique, on the 20th and 21st. The Orchestra of the 18th Century are just one of the loveliest things on earth, they have a wonderful, big, sound, and their interpretaions are always exciting, the players come from all over the world. Well worth it, I think, since they don't perform that often, only do 3-4 concert tours per year. And symphonies 103-104 are true masterpieces.
http://www.cite-musique.fr/anglais/accueil.html
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Neopolitan

Yes sunkara21, it appears you are right. I didn't realize you were looking for tickets so soon -- within the next two weeks. The operas are so popular and the Garnier is more limited in seats than the Bastille, which is why most of the operas are performed at the new opera house.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Prices vary at both Opera Bastille and Opera Garnier. A travel planner for France only,I go to Paris yearly.
I get the Opera Bastille very early; there are people who cannot attend that performance or who have a friend who cannot selling a tickets
. You do have to check the tickets carefully; there are crooks around. I bought a 100 euro ticket for 75 eruos and sat with two wonderful women and saw Rigoletto last winter.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM

>Au Lapin agile (i dont speak french..)

My husband and I loved the Lapin Agile You don't have to be able to speak French to enjoy it!

http://www.au-lapin-agile.com/

Tickets for L'Opera Garnier are not nearly as expensive as comparable tickets to the ballet in the US. We paid 60 euros for box seats. We had the most wonderful experience. I would urge anyone to go there. My husband isn't that interested in ballet, but he told me all he cared about was sitting and looking at that beautiful theater. He did enjoy the ballet too

Sandy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -