Different apt rental agencies in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll try to make this the last post on rental agencies in Rome.

I know that with every agency you will have some experiences, but is there one or 2 that stands out as being great to work with, honest, doesn't cancel reservations or do the ole bait and switch etc?

I looked on the slow travel website and saw only one comment each about the 2 agencies that I've been looking at online (Rental in Rome and Sleep in Italy).

Any other suggestions on where I should look for comments or does anyone have any personal experience with ANY agency for apartment rentals in Rome that they'd like to share?

Thank you.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:22 AM

We used Sleep in Italy last October and everything went perfectly. But I've seen several comments on Slowtrav about people being switched by them. It's probably a low percentage but I wouldn't want it to be me.

If you are going for a week you might try a US agency. They charge a small fee but good ones are much more hands on about recommending which location/apt might suit you best, and likelihood of being switched, etc. We used Drawbridge to Europe for Paris and they were great, they check all their units personally and are based in Oregon. We had many indepth and helpful email exchanges. The y handle properties in Italy, France, Autria, Germany & Switzerland. Most of their units are 1 week minimum tho.

http://www.drawbridgetoeurope.com/
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Did you see the list of Slow Trav's Favorites?

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/listings/favorites.htm

Some are individual establishments, but many are agencies. Of the agencies, some are active in several parts of Italy, others only in Rome.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I used Drawbridge to Europe to rent an apartment in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and as LAwoman mentions they are very professional and good.

However, I was shocked later to see my exact same apartment on another website for just about half the price we paid. Since then I've seen numerous apartments of theirs on other sites for WAY lower prices. If peace of mind is worth spending extra money to you, however, I'd still recommend Drawbridge to Europe.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:41 AM

RealRome http://www.realrome.com
Tim Pearson, an ex-patriot New Zealander living in Rome runs this agency.
Fun communication, prompt replies, impeccable honesty and solid reliable data about the apartments and neighbourhoods and a policy of thoroughly vetting owners for their commitment and integrity (which is where the problems often arise).
I think most if not all of his listings are exclusive and although not the most high end available are chosen for solid value.
We stayed at Falco 3 in the Borgo this September for 10 days and I have just submitted a long review of the apartment (and agency) to SlowTrav to be published in the ? future.
We had had very promising and pleasant dealings with Tim in 2002 before unexpectedly postponing our trip. This year, when we belatedly had to find a second apartment to round out our 'month in Rome' scenario and accomodate our friends for a week, it was getting difficult to find something appropriate and available. The quest for the perfect apartment can be the most interesting and engaging aspect of planning and/but hugely time consuming, frustrating and frought with anxiety given the tiring tactics indicated in reviews and message board threads and our experience of the vagueness and evasiveness of many agencies. So it was in the end a no-brainer decision to go back to Tim and simply take what he had left to offer and just be done with it and be confident that what he said was so, was. And it was.
I have bookmarks for over a hundred Roman apartments organized by area and noted with our comments and considerations in our searches but in the end the perfect apartment didn't show up. So we changed our selection criteria to agency (we looked through over 30 agency sites) mainly because when in answer to some of our quibbles about the quirks of various apartments, Tim wrote "...we know that all of our apartments are good value for money, but not perfect." That is only the beginning of his frankness, insight and honesty.
In addition they are on the ground in Rome greeting, monitoring, maintaining. They know and understand their offerings.
BTW this thread doesn't show up in my 'Italy' section (of 'Europe') where it probably has some relevance. Is there a way to change that?
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I think I posted this to you on another thread, Sandi, so you probably don't like the specific apartments available , but I had the same experience with realrome.com that the poster above describes. Nothing's perfect, but they are very forthcoming and that leaves less room for misunderstanding...and disappointment.

Best of luck in your search.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Since you mention sleepinitaly.com specifically, I will repeat my experience with them.

I booked http://sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_rondanini.html in June for an October stay. A week before I was to leave, they bumped me to http://sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_soldati.html.

If you look at the 2 places (one is an apartment, one is a studio), I think you will understand why I will never do business with them again.

We refused the Soldati and ended up in a place I suspect was worse -- dirty, dark, etc. Certainly put a damper on my visit.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hi Sandi, we really enjoyed our apartment we rented through www.b-b.rm.it (Bed & Breakfast Assoc. of Rome). They answered my specific questions, and everything worked out as they explained. Once we got to Rome we were instructed to meet directly with the owner of the apartment. I must say I think our experience was so positive though because the owners and apartment were wonderful. They own a few apartments in Rome and also have a direct e-mail address, which I can give you if you're interested.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM

While I won't argue the point that the switching of the apartments for Celianne, put a "damper" on their trip -- hey, it would have RUINED my trip, we also rented the Rondanini apt. from Sleepinitaly and were not switched there.

I don't know of any agency in the world that would go ahead and put renters in an apartment when a true emergency comes up. Would you like to be there if the apartment is dripping water through the ceiling or if the plumbing is backed up and can't be used? I'm not sure what the problem was, but I do know there are some problems with the plumbing in that particular apartment.

Admittedly several people have mentioned being switched by SleepinItaly, but then I don't know of ANY company that won't do that if there is an emergency. And of course that means that there is little likelihood of a very nice substitute apartment NOT already being rented on such short notice.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I think your chances of having your reservations cancelled or having the rental agency do a bait and switch becomes nil if you are renting for at least 6-7 days and if this is the case, then any reputable agency that specializes in Rome apartment rental will be good enough. However, if you wanted to rent for 2-4 days only, you really have to take your chances that nothing will go wrong with your rental. Sometimes, unavoidable situations DO happen and you just have to have Plan B.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your insights. It will be a 10 night rental that's why I'm being far more cautious than 3 nights in a hotel. So, I will look into the various agencies you all have mentioned. Again, this information is great and I appreciate your time in helping me make this a very special trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM

JoyC:

It is <b>not</b> true that if you have a 6-day or even 7-day rental that you will not be switched.

A representative of Sleep in Italy wrote to SlowTrav that a particular apartment was only available through them. Not true. I found it listed by at least four other agencies, at a pretty wide range of prices, of which Sleep in Italy was at the lower end.

If a better offer comes in from another agency, which one do you think the owner will pick?

Why do agencies keep apartments on their lists where owners have often cancelled? Because they are very often, like the one I referred to above, &quot;prestige&quot; apartments that make the agency look good.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
sylvie80

My experience is limited to only one rome rental, but I'll share my experience.
I stayed in this www.realrome.com studio apartment in July of this past year: http://www.realrome.com/propsantamariastudio.html
It was an incredible value for the location. It had more than enough room for 2 and everything worked as it was supposed to, though as you can see the accomodations are basic. I had no complaints about any aspect of the service and would stay in &quot;our&quot; studio again in a heartbeat.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Sylvie80 -- that is my home away from home in Rome! Just left there last Thurs. Sandra (owner)is now a very good friend, as is Tim. Met him for drinks a week ago. As you said, the apt. is not perfect, ie., the shower, but the location is wonderful and the little kitchen is great. Love that big window too. I highly recommend RealRome.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM

That may be true Eloise, but do you know if it actually happened i.e a 7-day rental has been switched because a better offer came along? I don't fault owners listing their apartments through multiple agencies and I will give them the benefit of doubt about your statement &quot; If a better offer comes in from another agency,which one do you think the owner will pick?&quot; BTW, i am talking here about weekly rental.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I would be dishonest if I said that I knew an apartment had been switched because of a higher offer.

But I would be totally naive if I believed all the explanations given for switching apartments: plumbing is broken; lock requires replacement; owner needs use of the apartment that particular week, etc., etc.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Hi NeoPatrick,

I agree completely. Things happen (plumbing problems, etc.) and I understand this. However, this is not what happened in my case. The apartment was &quot;overbooked,&quot; according to the agent. There was no emergency.

As I've also said before, I understand that mistakes happen. What I don't understand is why the renter is the one to pay for the mistake of the agency -- in our case by being given a &quot;Quality&quot; studio in place of a &quot;Superior&quot; apartment, with a 50 Euro &quot;compensation.&quot;

I am not naive to think the Rondanini was all it was pictured to be, but I have no doubt it was MUCH better than the place we ended up in (yet another place).

So, while the Rome portion of our trip was much less than we had hoped for, the owner still has his apartment listed with this agency and the agency was only out 50 Euros...or maybe not even.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Wow. They told you it was &quot;overbooked&quot;? That is something. Frankly that's a little too much honesty for me. Quite an admission on their part.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM
tjv

Try Homelidays.com. We have booked an apt in Rome in December. I will let you know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -