First visit to Paris --don't speak French, worried about restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has been so helpful with itinerary suggestions, I wonder if folks wouldn't mind describing the typical dining experience (to help me visualize). Neither of us speak French and I don't want to carry my guidebook to look up the words on the menus, but then again I am not sure I want to *wing* it either -I would like to know what I am ordering. (I am not picky, except I don't eat poultry). And I don't want to annoy our waiter either.... We plan to visit some mid range places (picked after browing restaurant selections). Do you think we will be ok, or should we memorize the french *food words*? How are non french speaking americans regarded in restaurants?

Also, reservations are often recommended --is that something I should call ahead (while in the states), or something I can do the actual day (and perhaps have hotel call). I would like flexibility, but do want to make it to a couple nice places...

thanks in advance for everyones thoughts. I am addicted to this site and can't wait for our trip!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Learn some words and get one of those little translation book to carry along. May restaurants in Paris offer an English and French Menu, here are a few that I know offer both...

Le Caveau de l'Isle (my favorite) , 36 rue Saint Louis en l'Isle 4e arr, Paris
Metro- Pont Marie (closer) or St Paul
Open everyday for lunch and dinner
www.lecaveaudelisle.com

Le Petit Troquet, 28 rue de l'Exposition 7e arr., Paris
Metro - Ecole Militaire
I can't remember if they have an English menu but they are very friendly and helpful. Plus this is a fab restaurant!

L'Endroit, 24 rue Tournelles 4e arr., Paris
Metro - Bastille
They have an English menu and its a nice place for dinner.

Le Florimond, 19 ave Motte Piquet 7th arr., Paris
Tel - 01 45 55 40 38
Metro - Ecole Militaire
No english menu but this place is super good, super friendly and they speak English and will assist you. Reserve for this one, its real popular.

Le Relais de Saint-Paul, 33 rue Francois Miron, 75004 Paris, tel 01 48 87 34 20
Sweet little romantic place. Great prix fixe menu.

La Fontaine De Mars, 129 rue Saint Dominique 75007 Paris
Metro Ecole Miltaire, La Tour Maubourg
Classic, classic, classic! This one has an English menu and the the most "French" bistro I know. Its a great place but be careful, the prices can be high.

If you are interested in any of these, email your hotel and they will probably be able to make you reservations!

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Don't be overly concerned about ordering in the restaurants in Paris. First of all Paris is a tourist city and most restaurants are prepared to help you.

Before you enter the restaurant the menu is outside where you can read before you enter. Take your time before you go in so that you are a little prepared.

Have your hotel call and make your reservations. When you get to your hotel ask them how to handle this. If you wish to dine at the Eiffel Tower, you might want to go to their web site and make your reservations many months in advance. Many restaurants do not require a reservation.

I am also addicted to this site. I have a PDF file with French/English French food terms with their definations that is about 41 pages if you would like. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will e-mail the attachment to you. I think I downloaded it from the Patrica Wells web site.

Just don't worry. I am sure you will not have any problems and even if you do, they will most likely be the best stories of your trip.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I don't know about the typical dining experience or how to describe it, and I do speak French so haven't has the same experience in France, unfortunately, as you might. However, I know that if you are dining anywhere in central Paris, that restaurant will have been well used to tourists of many nationalities who don't speak French. I wouldn't go in with a chip on your shoulder as to expecting some special behavior because you are American compared to any other nationality who doesn't speak French. I think you are worrying about nothing, and the waiter will probably explain to you in English what something is (even if perfunctory -- at least the main ingredient, and whether it is beef, etc.) or that the a restaurant will even have a menu translated into English. Many restaurants of all kinds do in the central area. It wouldn't hurt for you to learn just a few basic words of French for a menu, as menus are usually divided into sections for meat, fish, salads, etc., and the words aren't that difficult. For example, knowing that poulet is chicken, and boeuf is beef, poisson is fish. If you have a particular restaurant you want to go to, I think it is a good idea to have your hotel make reservations for you. There are definitely some restaurants where you need reservations far in advance, and if you have targeted those, you should call from home. Otherwise, the hotel can probalby handle it for you within a few days. But if you want to go to a really popular name restaurant, and one that is named in a lot of guidebooks, they could be booked if you try to reserve the same day. If you do need a lot of help from a waiter in translation, and he or she is helpful and spends time with you, I would suggest you tip something for that service, rather than leaving no tip.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM

We use a small food guide book called "Eating and Drinking in Paris". Its small and fits into my handbag. We are foodies and I want to know what I am ordering. I learned a little French and there was no way I could know all the food terms -- sauces etc. No way!! And some of the really fun restaurants didn't have an English menu. I certainly wouldn't limit myself to restaurants with an English menu.

Definately learn some French. I used Behind the Wheel French and I was amazed at how much I retained and was able to converse with the French.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I feel much better. I am not a worry wart (usually), but appreciate the words of wisdom (and reassurance). I will try to learn the basics and know whereever we end up it will be a great experience!

Oh and thanks Richardab for all the great suggestions; we will explore further! I just wish we had more than 5 days...there's always next time!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:54 AM

I use the Marling Menu-Master for France (they are available for other countries also). It is a dictionary of menu terms and very easy to use, plus it is only 4 x 6 inches and very thin, so it goes easily into my purse. Sometimes when a waiter sees me using it, they just hand me an English menu. Even though my French is decent enough for a tourist, there are still things on the menu I need to look up. By the way, sometimes the English menus are not well translated, and I usually prefer to eat at places that don't have them. I avoid restaurants where English menus are posted, since I think they are probably not where the French eat, but I suppose this could be debated.

Anyway, I never travel to France without my Marling Menu Master.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:16 AM

First, most/many restaurants will have an English menu, and NO, this does not mean it is a tourist restaurant never patronized by French gourmets.
I strongly recommend a French food glossary--Patricia Wells has one on her website that you can download.
I know it is often recommended but the Marling book is a total waste to me. It is organized by meal divisions--entree, plat, etc.
With a glossary, you can look up the actual preparation (alphabetically) and know approximately what you will be eating.
Be advised that food is one place that your French-English dictionary will not suffice at all.
ENJOY ENJOY~~~
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:25 AM
ira

Hi K,

Except for very popular places, you can make reservations the night before or the morning of the day you want to visit.

I use a small menu translator that I got from www.travelersmenureader.com.

>I am not picky, except I don't eat poultry.<

Oh dear. The French make terrific rotisserie chicken with potatoes.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:37 AM

I don't speak French, but I have found that the smaller places off the tourist route are usually more helpful and friendly. We have had 2 waiters treat us very badly in the past. But, that's only 2 out of many. And you can have that happen in your home town.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Book the day before or in the morning will probably do. Try not to book a very busy place for your first try as the staff have less time. If you cannot speak perfect french the staff will assume you are an idiot anglo so they will give you an english menu.

Try to start the contact with some words of French, they will still be unimpressed but at least you tried and they know it.

Take a food guide as suggested because their translation may be wrong. If the wine list is too big ask the wine waiter to chose for you. Don't expect the best loos but you may be lucky. Do be prepared to wait so even if you don't want a first course you might take something to let the guys get course 2 sorted.

George Bush is wrong the word the French don't have a word for is "Vegitarian"

Finally don't tip. Yes I know, don't tip
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:05 AM
ira

Bilbo is correct about tipping.

There is a 15% service charge included in the price.

If your waiter has been particularly helpful, leave a few euros on the table.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:14 AM

kitamaria,

Any restaurant you end up in will very likely have at least one staff person who speaks English and can help you order. In the tourist heavy areas (close to the river) all wait staff will have some English.

Even if you don't speak English, you really should learn a few simple phrases in French: "Do you speak English?", "Does anyone here speak English?", "Good evening", "Yes, please", "No, thank you", "Good bye"
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM

If I can find an online menu/carte, I print it and put a * by anything that we would be willing to eat. I also can recognize some of the key 'meats' that I don't want to eat. This helps:
http://www.intimatefrance.com/glossarypag.pdf
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM

bkm
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Hi kitamaria,
Some good advice already. I can tell you that knowing that restaurants post their menus outside gives you an opportunity to prepare yourself. Paticia Wells is a good resource. I would not sweat the reservation angle. I know that I have been to many restaurants in Paris and France without making reservations. Mind you, I don't go to 4 star restaurants, but have been to a few that I saw listed in the Michelin Red Guide. So, make them if you must, but know that you can also do a "wander by" pick of a restaurant.

People in Paris eat dinner around 8, so don't plan on showing up before then, unless you are going a some bistrots / brasserie which will be more flexible.

Many restaurants will offer a "menu", which is similar to specials of the day. Often there will be two or three of these, at different price points. These are complete meals, so you may get a soup, an entree and a desert. Usually a good deal. Otherwise, you order from "la carte".

There are some basic formalities, such as saying Bonsoir when you walk in, and Aurevoir when you leave. Tipping is, as someone mentioned, included. So leaving any change is for service above and beyond. Also, you pay at the table. When you get a table, it is yours for the night. The waiter will not rush you to leave. So you may think "service is slow", but really they're simply letting you enjoy your time at their restaurant.

I like spring water and I like wine. I'll not be able to give you any experience with ordering tap water (eau du robinet), but can attest that is is perfectly fine. If you order spring/mineral water, you may be asked gaz/no gaz, which simply means with carbonation or not. Popular brands are Badoit and Evian. Many restaurants will offer half bottles of wine. In general, I've found I can always get a reasonably priced glass/half bottle. I don't order coffee or soft drinks with dinner, but that's just me.

Breakfast may be offered at your hotel, but you may find it cheaper to go to a cafe, sit down and have a petit dejeuner. I also sometime just go to a patisserie and have a pain au chocolat and a juice to go. There will be many patisseries wherever you are in Paris.

For going to a cafe, my lesson learned was don't sit down. Stand at the entrance (even if it is an outdoor cafe) get the waiter's attention by a nod of the head and a Bonjour, and let him tell you where to sit. Outside is most expensive, inside cheaper.

I've kept my breakfasts and lunches simple, and do my main sit down meal at dinner time. Lunch can be found at a creperie, a simple cafe, or takeout sandwhich from street front vendor or a boulangerie.

If you search this site, you will get a lot of recommendations. I've used this, Chowhound, Michelin Red guide and Time Out Paris as guides, but there are many. I prefer recommendations from travellers, so Fodor and CH are a good start.

I'm going this Wednesday, so I will post some restaurant and other info on my return.

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Michel_Paris, nicely done. Have a great trip to Paris!!

Anselm
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:29 AM

kitamaria,
I like Marling's Menu Master -- a tiny book that easily can fit in a pocket or purse and available on amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/yzkntl

Truthfully, though, we haven't had to refer to it too much, as we know ahead of time what the restaurant serves. Things we like are sole meuniere -- sole sauteed in butter with lemon --confit de canard -- a crispy leg and thigh of duck, usually served with fried potatoes -- and poulet roti -- roast chicken.

Sandy
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM

"People in Paris eat dinner around 8, so don't plan on showing up before then, unless you are going a some bistrots / brasserie which will be more flexible."

We've often eaten before 8 -- 7 or 7:30, say -- and we've never had a problem getting a good meal in Paris. Sometimes, as the song says, "I get too hungry for dinner at 8". And there are usually plenty of French people in the restaurant.

Now, Spain, that's another story.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I second the recommendation for Eating and Drinking in France. I have used it on several trips and have rarely found a menu item that was not listed in the book. Have a fun trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -