Upscale Restaurant in Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in central Munich over the weekend of the 8/9 December and I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation for a meal with my mother-in-law who will be celebrating her 60th birthday?

Price is not a huge consideration as this is a special occasion however we're looking for a pleace with a good selection of meat dishes as two of us don't eat fish and a quieter place so we don't have to shout at each other!

Any help gratefully received!

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:07 AM

TTT would you consider eating in a hotel dining room?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:42 AM

A client once took us to Nymphenburger Hof (sp?) for a business lunch. Posh, good service without being ostentatious. Good wine selection. A nice change from that big roasted meat and sausage Bavarian style.

There was another good Italian restaurant, thought it was somewhere near the Opera house and the coffee store named Eilles but maybe a part of me felt why eat Italian when you're in Germany.

In general, I don't think you have to worry about not having a good meat selection on the menu. My problem (as a veggie/fishie) is usually the other way around.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions, hotel dining room or otherwise, gratefully recived!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:05 AM

Just to keep this going (kinda hard to believe with the number of folks here who have been to Munich that you haven't seen more activity..surely not everyone survived on beer and brats during their entire time there {I should talk])...

Anyway, since the Mandarin Oriental Hotel has opened they, of course, have hyped their supposed fine dining opportunities. I think I'd only consider it if someone could give a personal recommendation.

I'm not against dining in hotels but I suspect somewhere else in the city might seem even more "special."
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey! When we get back I'll try to remeber to do a trip report for other Fodorites.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Well I'm wracking my brain and cannot get my DH to respond to me in email (he must be busy), but, back in Munich and tired of salty various pig-parts (my opinion of German cuisine), we went to a VERY nice, restaurant/art-museum; with a lovely ambiance, a beautiful bar, close to one of the Uban sites.. and I swear it was L & W (I want to say Lettner& Wagner, but goggling that and finding nothing, I am wrong...) But it was nice. I apolgize for my bad memory, but someone will come along...
BTilke has great knowledge of these things... She must be away for holiday...
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM

Here's a thread for upscale restaurants. There was another thread where one of the editors was looking for a similar place, but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34773699
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM

Try Dallmyer (sp?)--the restaurant is over the fine deli.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

We use Dallmayr's for all of our european family. YUUUMMM...
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM

Do you know whether the very nice little gift shop is still around?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

Here's a list of some of the top end restaurants, plus plenty of others depending on cuisine

http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich...in_munich.html

Tantris, is considered one of the best as it has a couple of Michelin stars

Geordie
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

Two restaurants we really like in central Munich (not all that upscale I suppose but nice) are the Ratskeller in the basement of the Rathaus (glockenspiel building) and the Augustiner. The Augustiner is a couple of blocks toward the main train station from Marienplatz in the fussganger zone. It is very "Bavarian" and very authentic. I think you and your m-i-l will enjoy it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM

on my last visit, i ate at Asam Schlössl. nice atmosphere, good food. it's very quiet (but not too formal or dead) and a perfect place for a family meal.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
DAX

I was one of the posters in the best Munich restaurant thread that Budman referred to. I would strongly recommend AM MARSTALL based on our experience during our family reunion dinner with my siblings' families. They serve excellent international(& German) cuisine for 25-45 euro and the service is impeccable (similar to high end Parisian Michelin star restaurants)

Here's a review:
Seven Munich restaurants have been awarded one or two of the coveted Michelin stars. One of Germany’s top restaurants is Tantris (chef: Hans Haas), opened in 1971. It is here that many Germans once made their first acquaintance with the nouvelle cuisine, the up-to-date style of cooking light and easily digestible meals. Since the end of year 2001 Bernhard Diers, chef of the res-taurant "Am Marstall", is part of the exclusive circle of the 13 German two star-chefs. The re-gional cuisine has long since been riding high again in gourmet circles, thanks to such an out-standing master chef as Karl Ederer at the Glockenbach.
Munich also owes its culinary reputation to the famous delicatessens Dallmayr and Käfer. Dallmayr is the oldest shop in Munich for good taste, and a walk through its historical sales-rooms just to see what is on offer will turn out to be an experience for the senses. There are small bars where you can enjoy the delicacies on sale. Munich’s gourmet paradise is also an absolute must, and here epicureans meet from all over the world. If you prefer to have your cu-linary delights served, take a seat in the nostalgic and cosy restaurant rooms.

As the article says TANTRIS was the first gourmet temple, but I don't like the interior as much as AM MARSTALL which has a more sedate/quiet elegance and not as overpriced.
http://www.gourmetclassic.de/speisek...ie-Menues.html

Dahlmeyer is sort of the Fauchon of Munich, whereas the original Kaefer has a more rustic market look on Prinzregentenstrasse. I think both made their name more as a gourmet market rather than as a restaurant per se.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM
DAX

I forgot to give you the phone/address for these two top restaurants in Munich (both earned two stars):

** Tantris, Johann-Fichte-Straße. 7, Tel. 36 19 59-0

** Am Marstall, Maximilianstraße 16, Tel. 29 16 55 11

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, for info apparently Am Marstall has closed according to my local friend so we have booked the Landersdorfer & Innerhofer - I'll let you know what it's like!

K x