Food and fun: Seeking a Paris one-star

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the 59 (if I have it right) Paris Michelin one-star restaurants, which would you choose for excellent food served up by folks who, in the dining room, show a bit of joie de vivre? No "see and been seen" spots, please
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
tod

I'm sorry you have had no takers on this one Dave. I wouldn't mind finding out about a few myself. I have a question though.
Is it bad form to advertise the fact you have a one, two or three Michelin stars on maybe a little badge or plaq outside the restaurant? How else do people find out - except in reviews and articles written about the chef?
You may or may not have read my trip report where I got totally confused with your suggestion of La Rivagotte(no, that somehow doesn't look right) with the restaurant I ended up at, being L'Aiguire at 39bis Rue Montreuil. Well the food as I said was absolutely fantastic! If they have a Michelin star I wouldn't be at all surprised. Plenty of joie de vivre there all right! It's not known to tourists at all - it was a complete fluke I landed up there.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tod,

Thank you for the response! Good question about identifying Michelin-starred restuarants. I think I may have to buy their guide. We're not looking for a floor show, but there are restaurants where the waiting staff clearly enjoy themselves and their work and their customers. One was the Square Trusseau in the 12th, just of rue de Faubourg St. Antoine, but changes in the "cast" that is less so.

Also, thanks for the heads up on L'Aiguire. Would you believe, we live around the corner and have never dined there? The Ravigotte is at 41 rue de Montreuil. So you were very close. Here's a "report" on a meal there:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...21#62510883421
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Square Trousseau, that is.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
tod

Thanks Dave, that was a very apertizing description!
I won't make the mistake again when next in Paris. If I had been with my DH he would have definitely choked when my lunch bill was presented at L'Aiguire!
To me it was money well spent - definitely my best meal in Paris that trip.
I also ate at:
Au Pied Cochon
Le Train Bleu
Bofinger
Laduree (Champs Elysees)
Aux Charpentiers
Le Balzar
to name a few.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave...YOU are IN Paris. It is your duty to eat at each and every one of the 59 "one stars" and report back to us! Now get to it!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I believe that restaurants in France are not allowed to officially advertise that they have received a Michelin star. Instead, they often have copies of the Michelin guide near the entry way of the restaurant. On the other hand, it appears that restaurants are allowed to post their Michelin status in the States.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

I'm beginning to think that Michelin guards the propriety rights to those stars very carefully. I can't find even a partial list of one-star restaurants in Paris on the Web. Anyway, if that's a result of threats of legal action, it works. I'm off to the bookstore to buy a Michelin guidebook. Actually, I could care less whether a restaurant has a Michelin star, but we have guests, and they care. But I do like to have fun while dining!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM

The Michelin web page gives access to a listing of the starred and the Bib gourmant restaurants.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Too obvious for me, I guess. Thanks Michael.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Well, I would go with Relais d'Auteuil out in the 16th. The problem, however, is that you'd be getting a two-star restaurant at one-star prices.
(prix fixe lunch is 45&euro Would you consider a two-star?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I just tried to get reservations at the newly one-starred Fables de la Fontaine, and no go, but try it... I hear it is great for seafood.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Poking around the Michelin Web site, I did coax it to list some restaurants with their ratings, though the maximum list length seemed to be 30 restaurants.

Of the one-stars visible there, has anyone been to these:

Benoit (said to be "animated')

Goumard (you have to admire an establishment at which, according to Michelin, the rest rooms "merit a visit.&quot

Chamarre (The welcome is said to be "amiable.&quot

Will check all of your suggestions. Thank you! Yes, we could go to a two-star. We just wouldn't tell our co-dinners that it had that pesky second one.

Rephrasing the quest, what we hope for in addition to good food is jovial waiting persons. They need not sing but they must at least smile , and we really would like to banter with them just a little, too. In French is fine, though a little bantering ability in English would be welcome for some in our party of six. Lest numerous Fodorites think I've totally lost it, this is possible in a Paris restuarant, fairly common, in fact, here in the glorious east, the 11th arrondissement, and it has happened to us once or twice at the pinnacle. But is it possible in a one-star? And if so, which one?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM
tod

Dave - Did you view Andy Hayler's Michelin Restaurant Guide whilst poking around the Michelin website?
Besides what he has to say about Michelin and the way they rate restaurants(decor taken into account), time they take giving stars and even more time taking them away (which is great for places who have managed to get a one star but after that.......if the wheels fell off nobody would know for ages?)

What I was amazed to see was his list of 3 stars (Europe only).
His No. 1 was Louis XV in Monte Carlo
then the Paris restaurants at No.6 & 7 came Le Cinq and Arpege.
A couple more elsewhere before more Paris - L'Ambroisie 11th, Plaza Athenee 12th,
Taillevent 14th,Pierre Gagnaire 15th, Guy Savoy 23rd, Ledoyen 35th, Lucas Carton 37th and now, wait for it.......
Grand Vefour No.41!
Just of interest Gordan Ramsay came in at No.26.
Please let us know what you found bookwise.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Based on your revised criteria, once again Relais d'Auteuil fits the bill. We've had very good experiences there and here is one site's review:

"Cuisine is a true moment of pleasure, a celebration. At Le Relais d'Auteuil, the word celebration takes on its real meaning : everything here is joy, good moods and good words!"

The only downside is that it's quite a hike from the 11th.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Hi Dave,

I know you are looking for a star....Au Grain de Sel doesn't have one, but I couldn't resist mentioning it because it is special. This small place is not far from you in the Bastille, around the corner from Bofinger's. The food is delicious and the presentation lovely. Nathalie, the owner, was formerly at Train Bleu, and has recently been initiated into Toques Blanches Internationales..only the second female chef to have the honor. She is gracious and warm and will welcome you with much "joie de vivre"....we have eaten here a half dozen times and now, can't imagine a visit to Paris without it.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Tod, in a coincidence, my wife is lobbying for l'Ambroisie but can we succeed in passing that off as a one-star? Aralynn is offering to test it, if she can get in! Brave of her.

B'Tilke, many thanks. I'm in my declining years, but I think I can shuffle over to the 16th. We will test the Relais d'Auteuil, definitely, once I get my medication adjusted. The main event isn't until late September so we have a little time for trial runs, onerous though they may be.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM

I vote for Les Magnolias, it's just outside of town, but not hard to get to and just wonderful. We've dined there twice.

The other is Fables de la Fontaine which is just getting their first star. We do have repeat reservations to return here this month!!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM

"Benoit (said to be "animated')"

Dave sorry to be so slow to reply. My husband and I have been to Benoit. It is charmingly decorated, lively warm staff, great food. It was a truly wonderful experience. Your visitors will love it...I hate to say it but it is soooo French!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -