Property Truffaut

Search

Property Truffaut

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Property Truffaut

My friend Rosalie and I are in Paris for the sixth time each, and for the first time are staying in an apartment...Property Truffaut. Rosalie discovered it initially on this site, but we both read Lucky Luc's report on his trip to Paris when he stayed there for 10 days.

So, Lucky Luc, if you're out there, thanks so much for your post. Everthing you said about la Truffauterie is right, and it has been a fabulous stay. We have two days left and will be very sad to leave.

Regards to all,
Jim
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:58 AM
tod

parisjim - won't you be so kind as to post the address once more?
Hope you are having a lovely time - I'm very jealous!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:27 AM

thanks for posting this paisjim. My sister and I will be there for 2 weeks in October. We too read LuckyLuc's write-up, but it is very nice to have another opinion.

One question: About how far of a walk is it to the nearest metro?
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Tod and Celiaanne, I hope this reply reaches you somehow, as this is my first day on Fodor's and replying to specific individuals is not particulary intuitive to me yet.

The website for the Truffaut property is www.rentalapartmentparis.com. The site is loaded with pictures and information about the apartment and the surrounding area.

The nearest Metro is about a 10 minute brisk walk. There are three stops close by, on two different lines.

It has been very rainy this trip, but that hasn't dampened our enthusiam, pun intended.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
tod

Thanks jim - much appreciated. The 10min metro stop you refer to must be Rome. The terrain looks pretty flat so although a bit further than I'd like, seems easy walking.
I loved the area!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:10 AM

You are welcome Jim, since my trip report I revisited Truffaut three times (may, november and just now february) and the Batignolles is now officially my favorite area of Paris.

Have you tried Le Bristal at 80 ,rue Lemercier? The best bistro gastronomique one can find.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:19 AM

That was Bistral ! Still not enough coffee this morning.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Hi, Parisjim. Imagine my surprise to see your posting here about our apartment. I'm so glad you and Rosalie are enjoying your stay. We can hardly wait to get back ourselves in July!

Tod, the closest Métro stops are place de Clichy and La Fourche on Line 13, and place de Clichy and Rome on Line 2. The whole quartier is flat ground until you get toward the back side and begin to descend toward rue Cardinet.

Batignolles has a rather interesting history (tied up with the expansion of the railways, the fears of foreign invasion, and the Impressionist movement). I'd be happy to answer questions in anybody has interest in learning more about the neighborhood.

Doug
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

How exciting for Rosalie and I to hear from everyone. This is our last night in Paris, always a very sad few hours, as you all know.

Doug, the experience has been truly extraordinary, as I'm sure you know. Even though this is your apartment, it sure feels like home to us.

Lucky Luc, we have not tried Le Bistral yet, but will look forward to that next trip.

Happy travels to all, hope to chat with you all again soon.

Au revoir,
Rosalie and Jim
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Thank you for the info, parisjim. I hope you had a good trip home.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:53 AM
tod

Truffaut - Thanks for that info. I have a copy of Thirza Vallois book 'Around and About Paris' (The 13th-20th Arr.) and she gives good details about the 17e. All her books are fantastic! I especially like the walks she selects and points out dozens of properties with attachments to famous people of the past etc. etc.
I wondered how you found the apartment
Doug? I heard buying in Paris is mostly done without advertising by the seller. There are so many people hunting and keeping an eye out for a good deal the purchasers find the sellers! - the ones advertised are either over priced or something else is wrong.?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Hi, Tod. Buying property in Paris is not for the meek!

Properties are sold in three primary ways: 1)for sale by owner but never advertised; 2)for sale through a real estate agent; and 3)advertised for sale by owner.

We can dispense with #1 very quickly. Unless you're a native Parisian with a strong social network that includes attorneys, notaires, funeral home directors, some elderly people, etc., your chances of finding a property that hasn't been advertised are virtually nil.

Many properties are listed with real estate agents, just as they are in the U.S. The difference is that Parisian agents seem not to particularly care if they sell a property or not! There is no multiple-listing service, so you will only be shown the apartments that a particular agent is contracted to sell. Practically speaking, that means you must first identify the neighborhood you want and then physically visit dozens of agents' offices. They may or may not be interested in assisting you. There is absolutely no concept of customer service on the part of Parisian real estate agends.

I believe buying advertised properties directly from owners is the best approach. Often, these same properties are listed with real estate agents, too, but the owner retains the right to sell the property without the agent's assistance. This can, theoretically, result in a slight savings because the owner will not be trying to recoup the fees he/she would have had to pay to the realtor.

Many properties are advertised in "Particulier à Particulier" (PAP). It's published on Thursdays, and every Thursday morning there is a line at the newstand to get the latest copy. With the internet, you can now get the listings at midnight, but not every print listing is also included online.

Essentially, you find an ad you like, call up the phone number in the ad, ask a few pointed questions, and make an appointment to visit the property. Some owners will agree to meet you nearly immediately, others only want to set up blocks of time on a single day. The sooner you can get in, the better your chances to become the purchaser.

One of the difficulties is tht you sort of have to already know what you're looking for. That can be tricky if you're used to a North American standard of living. I'd advise going to see as many properties as possible in different neighborhoods, knowing that you're just prospecting. It will help give you a realistic point of view for when you're really serious. There are certain codes in the ads that take some deciphering. "Travaux à prévoir", for example, means "this apartment is a hell-hole". "A refraichir" means it's "almost a hell-hole, but it can be salvaged with two month's of work and several thousand euros". "Prix debattable" means "we're not budging on the price, but we might agree to let you keep the kitchen appliances...if we really like you".

Sometimes, Parisian sellers are leary of foreign buyers. Part of that may have to do with wishing to save the "patrimoine" for the French, but I think most of it is related to the seller just wanting to be sure that the sale really will go through. If you're going to buy on your own from the owner, you need to make sure you've got a French bank account already set up, and be prepared to show the seller your account balance (if you're going to pay cash) or a letter from a French mortgage bank specifying that you're "pre-qualified" up to a certain level.

There isn't much variation in pricing in Paris. Prices are based on square meters (adjusted for neighborhood), and certain amenities bring certain premiums. A balcony or an elevator, for example will cost you an extra 5-10,000 euros. A nice view may be just a couple of thousand euros, but if the view is the Eiffel Tower, Parc Monceau, or the buttresses of Notre-Dame, the view will be an extra 10,000.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM
tod

Most certainly not for the meek!
Here in South Africa Estate Agents almost come to blows over who showed what property to whom etc. and competition is fierce and cut-throat.
If I ever had the opportunity to buy a little slice of heaven, I think I would have to move to Paris for a couple of months and see if I could scoop something that way.
Thanks for the low-down! Very interesting to say the least.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Truffaut: thank you for the pap.fr website, it great and give a good idea of the pricing.